Jackson DK2M Japan vs newer Pro Series Dinky DK3QM

Which is better?

• Total voters

neoclassical85

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has owned both the DK2M Japan from the early 2000s and the newer Pro Series DK3QM. I own the DK2M Japan and its my favorite guitar, however, its getting a bit old and rickety, Im considering picking up this DK3QM if the quality and feel is the same. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
I cannot compare those two models BUT I had a COW6 (japan made from the same era of those DK2 MIJ more or less, both Dinky guitars, supposed to have the same neck profile) and just a few years ago I had one of the DK2QHT or whatever... hipshot style bridge, 3 bolts neck joint, made in... mexico I think? so probably similar if not the same feel as that DK3QM you are asking about and... not. The COW6 and the DK2 were TOTALLY different in feel.

Yes, neck joint was amazing, build quality was really great for the price, the guitar sounded great and the top was beautiful BUT neck profiles were absolutely different

I miss my old COW6 (I feel stupid for selling it)

I am happy I sold the DK2.

That's all I can say.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you define old and rickety?

mbardu

Reaction score
Hey guys, wondering if anyone has owned both the DK2M Japan from the early 2000s and the newer Pro Series DK3QM. I own the DK2M Japan and its my favorite guitar, however, its getting a bit old and rickety, Im considering picking up this DK3QM if the quality and feel is the same. Thanks!

Feel is going to be similar.

However quality and consistency is not going to be guaranteed. You may get a great guitar with little to no flaws that's going to play as good or maybe even better than your current one. You may as well get a wonky guitar with basically no fret finishing and a wonky neck. 50/50, so if you do buy, make sure you buy from a store that easily allows returns.

Last edited:

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I would only buy a new Jackson if I was able to play it first, then buy that exact one if it was good.

the Japanese factory was really consistent in those later days. None of the factories they've used since have been consistent at all. iirc the DK3 was made in Mexico so odds are good it should be fine, but maybe not. My DKA8 was MIM (iirc) and wasn't very good at all.

oversteve

Reaction score
Had both, imo the MIM one was made a bit better overall with more attention to detail except they happened to have sharp frets from time to time but that's an easy fix. Also the trem on MIM is way better then the one on MIJ DK2.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would only buy a new Jackson if I was able to play it first, then buy that exact one if it was good.

the Japanese factory was really consistent in those later days. None of the factories they've used since have been consistent at all. iirc the DK3 was made in Mexico so odds are good it should be fine, but maybe not. My DKA8 was MIM (iirc) and wasn't very good at all.

This. The Japanese guitars were the model of consistency by the mid-2000s, and a bad one was hard to find. The MIM Jacksons have been more consistent than the MII versions, but both are far below the Japanese versions in consistency.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
This. The Japanese guitars were the model of consistency by the mid-2000s, and a bad one was hard to find. The MIM Jacksons have been more consistent than the MII versions, but both are far below the Japanese versions in consistency.
Thanks man, appreciate it.

Aliascent

Reaction score
I had several newer jackson, the one I kept is my SL2 (MII), as it is the only one that felt like my beloved DKMG.
Skip the new guitar, get your DK2M to your favorite tech and get the hardware changed, frets leveled and all.
If you're looking at upgrading it, my main DK has an OFR, the backup has a lockmeister. Both were drop-in, and both perform admirably.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I had several newer jackson, the one I kept is my SL2 (MII), as it is the only one that felt like my beloved DKMG.
Skip the new guitar, get your DK2M to your favorite tech and get the hardware changed, frets leveled and all.
If you're looking at upgrading it, my main DK has an OFR, the backup has a lockmeister. Both were drop-in, and both perform admirably.

I have a Lockmeister on one of my Zions. Great update on the Floyd - the blocks don't break and the screws don't rust.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
As one of the resident SS.org Jackson hoarders, I have to say that the old MIJ Pro series is on average better than their newer pro series. It's going to be very hard for them to ever outdo them. Consequently, prices for the old DK2s keep climbing on the second hand market, and don't even bother trying to find an old import soloist in good condition for less than $1.2k (at which point you might as well buy an old SL2H instead).

The newer pro series has gone through a lot of changes over just the past 5 or so years. At the beginning they were trying to live in the same space as the Ibanez Premium line, and both had similar issues with consistency from Indonesia. When they released the Dinkys into the pro series they used the Fender Mexico factory and these were good, if not quite as consistent as the old Japanese factory. They're more likely to need a fret level/crown job when new, but otherwise they have been pretty solid. Now that they're moving some Pro Series production to S. Korea I don't have a good sense yet of these and how good they are.

You absolutely should refurb the old DK2M. These are fantastic guitars and pretty sought-after, even in rough shape. The only significant upgrades in the new Dinkys are a better neck joint (and this is a personal preference thing), and a better bridge.

Clean up the DK2M, get it set up, and replace the bridge with an OFR or Gotoh Floyd (slight route enlargement required on treble side to square off the front corner is barely noticeable), and keep it forever.

My ~2009 DK2M plays as well as my custom shop soloist after replacing the bridge with the Gotoh. No joke.

neoclassical85

Reaction score
As one of the resident SS.org Jackson hoarders, I have to say that the old MIJ Pro series is on average better than their newer pro series. It's going to be very hard for them to ever outdo them. Consequently, prices for the old DK2s keep climbing on the second hand market, and don't even bother trying to find an old import soloist in good condition for less than $1.2k (at which point you might as well buy an old SL2H instead).

The newer pro series has gone through a lot of changes over just the past 5 or so years. At the beginning they were trying to live in the same space as the Ibanez Premium line, and both had similar issues with consistency from Indonesia. When they released the Dinkys into the pro series they used the Fender Mexico factory and these were good, if not quite as consistent as the old Japanese factory. They're more likely to need a fret level/crown job when new, but otherwise they have been pretty solid. Now that they're moving some Pro Series production to S. Korea I don't have a good sense yet of these and how good they are.

You absolutely should refurb the old DK2M. These are fantastic guitars and pretty sought-after, even in rough shape. The only significant upgrades in the new Dinkys are a better neck joint (and this is a personal preference thing), and a better bridge.

Clean up the DK2M, get it set up, and replace the bridge with an OFR or Gotoh Floyd (slight route enlargement required on treble side to square off the front corner is barely noticeable), and keep it forever.

My ~2009 DK2M plays as well as my custom shop soloist after replacing the bridge with the Gotoh. No joke.

Thanks for the reply! I would NEVER sell my white DK2 Pro MIJ! Why do you recommend replacing the bridge?

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I would NEVER sell my white DK2 Pro MIJ! Why do you recommend replacing the bridge?
I, and others, have had tuning stability issues with the licensed floyd rose that came in these (JT 590lp, I think it was). The base plate on that trem is softer than an original floyd rose/lockmeister/Gotoh and the knife edges tend to get dull over time.

If you're not having tuning stability problems it's probably not imperative to switch it out. But these alternatives do fit. The route will be bigger than is needed due to the shape of the old bridge, but I don't think it's too distracting.

I'll never get rid of my DXMG or DK2M. Even though the DK2M has a neck pocket crack (though, I think it's only in the finish and might be cosmetic).

neoclassical85

Reaction score
I, and others, have had tuning stability issues with the licensed floyd rose that came in these (JT 590lp, I think it was). The base plate on that trem is softer than an original floyd rose/lockmeister/Gotoh and the knife edges tend to get dull over time.

If you're not having tuning stability problems it's probably not imperative to switch it out. But these alternatives do fit. The route will be bigger than is needed due to the shape of the old bridge, but I don't think it's too distracting.

I'll never get rid of my DXMG or DK2M. Even though the DK2M has a neck pocket crack (though, I think it's only in the finish and might be cosmetic).

Nice, thanks for the response. I must be one of the lucky ones who doesn't have tuning stability problems (yet)!

Bender.folder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Must be the only one having had a bad MIJ one. A slsmg with neck through that sounded dull and thin.
Bought a cheap soloist neck through indo made for 150$ with emgs. Replaced the no name bridge and locking tuners sounds huge. Will leave stock emg 81 85 blends well with basswood.
But so far construction wise; no fret pop out, neck and paint is flawless, sounds huge and plays like fire.
Stock hardware on indonesian ones isnt great quality but its replacable.