Jackson DKA8 vs Jackson SLATFXMG3-8

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone has played both either or both and would be wiling to weigh in one which one they like better and why... I'm looking at picking up one of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sumsar

Reaction score
I have tried the DKA7 (not the 8), for about 20 min in a shop, what I remember about it was:
- Very bright guitar, as in very very brigt, guess it is the combination of wood and pups. Also it was very responsive and had a fast attack.
- The jackson hipshot copy bridge was very nice, seemed to be high quality, no sharp edges or anything (the bridge is the same as the guitars you are asking about)
- Position of the pickup switch is pretty weird, but I guess that one would eventually get used to it.
- The kill switch was fun, but could'nt really imagining using it for death / black metal (what I play)
- The one major construction flaw I found on the specific guitar I played was the blot on neck joint .. there was 1 - 2 mm spacing between the neck and the body on the upper side of the neck!!!1!!!1!!! (So yeah, check that out if you end up buying one!)

It was a very nice guitar overall, and i would properply have brought it (an other one without the flaw!) had I had the money.

I have not tried the SLAT bla bla 8, but my guess is that it sounds darker than the dka8.
I personally would choose according to if I wanted passive or active (passive being my thing).

emroth

Reaction score
I'd go with the DKA8 and swap the pickups for some darker ones, maybe BKP Warpigs or SD Nazgul/Sentient. Overall nice guitar but the finish felt rather cheap.

vick1000

Reaction score
I had the SLAT 7, best guiatr in that price range I have played, replaced the EMGs with Blackouts and put it in a class by itself.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I have one of the early Jackson SLAT3-7s and I love that thing. It's one reason I'm leaning toward the SLAT 8. How are the heels on the DKAs? They look like some sort of square/AANJ hybrid. Are they comfy? I'm really not a fan of square neck heels.

Fry5150

#based
Reaction score
I love my slat3-8. Swapped the 808's for a Nazgul/Sentient set and it's perfect. As far as comparing it to the Dka8 I would take the slat. Seems like the dka would be a lot brighter plus I've never been a big fan of the deactivators.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Thanks! I was confused when I read all that compound radius jazz in the description then only saw a flat 16" listed in the spec list. :lol:

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I love my slat3-8. Swapped the 808's for a Nazgul/Sentient set and it's perfect. As far as comparing it to the Dka8 I would take the slat. Seems like the dka would be a lot brighter plus I've never been a big fan of the deactivators.

I don't mind the DA8s, honestly. I have them in my Ibanez S Series 8 and rather like them actually. That said, I kind of like the idea of the SLAT3-8 being a bit darker.

Sumsar

Reaction score
Yeah never trust jackson website .. they seem to just list random things .. i remember finding a lot of errors about what tremolos was on things (special vs original) and stuff like that over the yeahs..

Garlic Owl

Reaction score
I have the Jackson DKA7, and while I have smaller hands, the neck joint really isn't all that uncomfortable. Could it be better? Yeah, it could haha. However, the guitar is really nice and is VERY responsive. I've played an SLAT8 a while ago and remember it playing very nicely. I can't speak for the sound because it was quite some time ago.

I imagine that either decision would be a solid one. Good luck in your decision!

teddy_baca

Reaction score
I have never tried the newer slat3 8 string, but I used to own a slat3-7 (MIJ) and tried a few of the newer ones and they didn't even compare.. The older MIJ ones are much better.

I just sold my DKA7 earlier this week and I liked it a lot, very nice quality guitar. I say go for the DKA8 personally!:hbang:

Latest posts