Jackson JS22-7 with Hipshot-style bridge?

goobon

Reaction score
Howdy!
I've been looking at these Jacksons, and I've noticed something interesting. It seems that the majority of the "Special Edition" (gloss black and maple fretboard) versions of this guitar have what appears to be the same Hipshot style bridge as the JS32, but none of the advertising images show it. However, looking through pics that owners have posted, the majority of them made in the past year and a half or so seem to have it. However, I have not seen the satin black or the gloss black w/ soapbar pickup variants of this guitar with those bridges. What's up with that? Anyone here have those with that style of bridge? Any owners of the special edition that DONT have the hipshot style bridge? Is it much better than the other stock bridge?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PFlynn

Reaction score
I saw a used one for sale like that once, but I assumed it was modified. Guess not. I have the flat black one with the standard bridge, but I did order a replacement one, the same hipshot style one they use. The string feurels line up the same, but the new mounting holes need to be drilled.

Bandmate has the gloss/rosewood one and his has the standard bridge as well. I think what a lot of that came down to were special options/editions for various dealers. Guitar Center usually had the gloss/rosewood and musician's friend had the gloss/maple. I'd never seen them listed on the Jackson site either.

There was some weird stuff like that when it was released. Stock photos showed a toggle switch and less contoured cutaways, but the models everyone received had a blade switch with the more contoured cutaways. Took them a few years to update their site, but still only showed the flat black model.

Don't know if this helps at all, but yea, there's been a huge lack of explanations on the various models. I guess Jackson hasn't been super open with that info either.

PFlynn

Reaction score
Sorry about the above novel. I've been wondering about the same things over the years.

The hipshot style one has the side walls which help keep the saddles in place and it also weighs a bit more.

goobon

Reaction score
Sorry about the above novel. I've been wondering about the same things over the years.

The hipshot style one has the side walls which help keep the saddles in place and it also weighs a bit more.
Novel is no issue. Good info. For the amount of people that own these, you’d think there’d be some better documentation on them, lol. I’ll report on what bridge I get when I order mine.

goobon

Reaction score

Also, sorry for the double post, but when did you buy yours and did you buy it used or new? I've seen a couple of the DKA-M models for sale used with the Hipshot style and the regular bridge, and judging off the condition I think the hipshot style is newer? No idea. Either way I want that better bridge lol

PFlynn

Reaction score
I got mine new in early 2014. Had to wait a few weeks 'cause they were on backorder from like everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go with the hipshot style bridges on the newer models. Seems like more models use it too, so it could be cheaper to just use that instead of having just one model use that non hipshot bridge.

I kinda get the feeling that the first batch turned out and sold really well, and after the backorder, they just tried cranking them out as best as possible which might explain the different bridges, finishes, fretboards, pickups, etc.

Also, you can usually find one of those hipshot style bridges on eBay or Amazon for under $20. Probably better going with the real thing, but I'll have to find out when I finally get a chance to install it. The real hipshot would drop right in after that anyway.

goobon

Reaction score
I got mine new in early 2014. Had to wait a few weeks 'cause they were on backorder from like everywhere. I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to go with the hipshot style bridges on the newer models. Seems like more models use it too, so it could be cheaper to just use that instead of having just one model use that non hipshot bridge.

I kinda get the feeling that the first batch turned out and sold really well, and after the backorder, they just tried cranking them out as best as possible which might explain the different bridges, finishes, fretboards, pickups, etc.

Also, you can usually find one of those hipshot style bridges on eBay or Amazon for under $20. Probably better going with the real thing, but I'll have to find out when I finally get a chance to install it. The real hipshot would drop right in after that anyway.
Wouldn’t shock me if they just started sharing parts between the JS32-7 to keep stuff cheaper. Bodies are pretty much identical except for the finishes and tops available. Mine should be in by the end of the week, pretty dang excited for it.

PFlynn

Reaction score
Yea, kinda what I'm thinking too. It'll be cool to see what yours has then.

goobon

Reaction score
Yea, kinda what I'm thinking too. It'll be cool to see what yours has then.
Damn Guitar Center is screwing me, lol. Ordered it Monday night and they haven't even sent me another confirmation email with a tracking number and have so far ignored a support email. Top notch cutomer service, lmao. I'd be perfectly fine with them not shipping it out yet thanks to some delay due to the sale or whatever, but damn. They could at least get back to me and should at least have a tracking number or something created for it, especially when they promised shipping in 2-3 business days.

goobon

Reaction score
Finally got it in, and what do ya know lol. Same bridge as the JS32-7. All the brand new JS22-7 satin black models seem to have the regular bridge, all the ones at guitar center I saw at least.
Ym9itSqr.jpg