Jackson JT-590(schaller) -> floyd rose pro

• Thread starter ScatteredDimension
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
View attachment 129400

About to order some from McMaster, this drawing shows them taking a 2.5mm hex key. Conveniently, that's also the size you need for the saddle screws on a Floyd so you should have one (along with a 3mm one) hanging off the back of your headstock already. I guess the screwdriver bit is more convenient.
Yes those are exactly the ones I have :) Even the thread distance/ rate (0,8mm) is correct.

When taking the current screws off I found out that basically the only (simplest) way is to sort of force them out, since the bottom ends have dented threads, so they don't want to just come off. I used pliers and some cloth in between so you dont scratch the top of the screws.

But when watching a youtube video and scrolling the comments I came to the conclusion that the screws are softer material and taking them out should not cause damage to the baseplates threads. Mine are just fine.

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
That worked pretty well!

View attachment 129548
Awesome! I was thinking about how I forgot this thread and should come and ask how did your mod go. Never even saw your photo :D sorry for that.
So was the mod worth it? Have you had any setbacks etc. Is it a PITA to look for the hex head for fine tuning?

Awesome soloist too btw... More pics needed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

broj15

Reaction score
This idea is absolutely genius. I've never thought of this before. I also have the same issue you described and this have always gravitated towards the low profile tremolo's, though the Gotoh ge1996t that's on my flying V has the fine tuners angled enough that it's much less of an issue, but still not ideal. I may just try this on the Gotoh to see if it feels like a marked improvement.

Semi related to the OP's original question, but I also have another guitar that's equipped with a takeuchi trs pro (same trem as a JT580, but mine is branded as a fernandes frt 5 pro). I love the feel and so far its handled anything I've thrown at it with no tuning stability issues and the knife edges are still sharp (commendable considering it's 30~ years old and judging by the condition of the rest of the guitar its definitely seen some abuse and wankery). I am worried about about the day when parts like saddles and and string locking bolts start to wear out. I also have plans to refinish that particular guitar eventually and black hardware would look a lot better than the current trem (used to be gold, but the the plating is so worn it's essentially chrome). Is there a high quality replacement for that style trem? Does takeuchi still manufacture hardware that's worth buying (finding a proxy buyer from Japan is an option)?

ScatteredDimension

Sixstring Regular
Reaction score
This idea is absolutely genius. I've never thought of this before. I also have the same issue you described and this have always gravitated towards the low profile tremolo's, though the Gotoh ge1996t that's on my flying V has the fine tuners angled enough that it's much less of an issue, but still not ideal. I may just try this on the Gotoh to see if it feels like a marked improvement.

Semi related to the OP's original question, but I also have another guitar that's equipped with a takeuchi trs pro (same trem as a JT580, but mine is branded as a fernandes frt 5 pro). I love the feel and so far its handled anything I've thrown at it with no tuning stability issues and the knife edges are still sharp (commendable considering it's 30~ years old and judging by the condition of the rest of the guitar its definitely seen some abuse and wankery). I am worried about about the day when parts like saddles and and string locking bolts start to wear out. I also have plans to refinish that particular guitar eventually and black hardware would look a lot better than the current trem (used to be gold, but the the plating is so worn it's essentially chrome). Is there a high quality replacement for that style trem? Does takeuchi still manufacture hardware that's worth buying (finding a proxy buyer from Japan is an option)?
Hi and thanks for the kind words. I have liked the feel of the bridge now and it is currently blocked so kinda like a hardtail for me at the moment.

I felt the same way when I had a gotoh 1996t, better for the paöm than OFR but still the screws were a bit in the way. Let me know how this mod works with the 1996t!

Can't really say anything regarding the bridge and parts other than just try to buy used bridges when they pop up and use the parts as spare perhaps... Don't know of a better quality exact replmacements.