Jackson NAMM 2020

• Thread starter Lada The Great
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I think it's the opposite problem.

They've let their master builders run the show and we've been subjected to their whims. All those relic'd "Gibsons" last year were what Mike Shannon wanted.

Remember those goofy Pablo builds?

They [FMIC] needs to rein things in. Give us stuff we might see in production some day.

It's really strange. Last year I was begging dealers to get me a masterbuild slot, and there were just none. I guess the masterbuilders were too busy building the abominations that they showed at NAMM? Some of which dealers are still trying to unload (example: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=292971304028), rather that take an order for something guaranteed to sell because I was trying to order it??? Makes no sense at all.

mlp187

Burrito Master
Contributor
Reaction score
It's really strange. Last year I was begging dealers to get me a masterbuild slot, and there were just none. I guess the masterbuilders were too busy building the abominations that they showed at NAMM? Some of which dealers are still trying to unload (example: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014327&icep_item=292971304028), rather that take an order for something guaranteed to sell because I was trying to order it??? Makes no sense at all.
That does seem pretty nonsensical.

That being said...
I absolutely love that abomination, but I'm going EBMM if i'm spending that kind of money.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Pretty much the only way to get a Masterbuilt spot for the foreseeable future is to either be an artist or be lucky enough to become a pet project of one of the builders, like that RR1 spec'd Warrior run.

From late summer to the new year all they're focusing on are NAMM builds.

But there's no incentive to change. They're at absolute peak capacity thanks to the Select models. Those a such a blessing for most Jackson players, but it's pretty much locked guys like you and me out of the shop.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Aso

Single Hum Zealot
Reaction score
pet project of one of the builders, like that RR1 spec'd Warrior run.
Where can I find more info on this run? Isn't a WR1 same spec's as a RR1?

I am interested in what Jackson shows this year but I need to be done buying guitars for awhile so hopefully nothing too tempting. I have acquired multiple Masterbuilts this past couple years and a few Sullys. I really think I may have too many around the house. I do have a Masterbuilt Double Rhoads on order so don't really need more after that.

xzacx

Reaction score
Where can I find more info on this run? Isn't a WR1 same spec's as a RR1?

I am interested in what Jackson shows this year but I need to be done buying guitars for awhile so hopefully nothing too tempting. I have acquired multiple Masterbuilts this past couple years and a few Sullys. I really think I may have too many around the house. I do have a Masterbuilt Double Rhoads on order so don't really need more after that.

I think he's referring to that set of "Rhoad Warriors."

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
I guess Scott Ian has a new Charvel signature coming out according to Facebook.

79592820_10156752575069135_5853979418732527616_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/scottian/photos/a.77483449134/10156752575064135/?type=3&theater

manu80

Reaction score
that's a SC1. Funny coz at that time of the year each picture of a player having a different guitar in his hand just for fun means it's his new sig !!!!!.
I saw the SC1 in a shop, really nice axe, distressed looks is well done, i almost went for it but took the skull and bones instead. Pao ferro is sweet when playing but i don't like the look of it, prefered the ebony of the S&b.
they should reintroduce the JJ though.

Church2224

Guitar Whore
Reaction score
I would like to see what Jackson and Charvel will offer in the USA Offerings...

I got a USA Dinky in 2017 and a new USA Charvel San Dimas Style 2 this year and both guitars were immaculate. Also played a few USA Misha sigs and they were on point. I had CMC Guitars spec out two USA "Custom Select" So Cals and the prices were pretty good. Say what you will but the quality of the USA Stuff recently has gone up and the pricing on the Custom selects is at least decent. like everyone else I would love to see 7 string offerings but I have other outlets for that....

https://www.schecterguitars.com/custom-shop/usa-product-collection/sunset-24-7fr-detail

https://www.espguitars.com/espusa

Last edited:

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, there is a "why" for not having USA production sevens, explained by a Jackson dealer. Basically they don't have CNC programs for them. All USA 7 string Jacksons are handbuilt. That's also why they're in the "masterbuilt" category. It's just not cost-effective for them.

In defense of Pablo Santana, he also built normal stuff which is fantastic. I happen to own one of his builds (which is plain black). For example:

14315_Jackson_Custom_Pablo_7-String_J7809_a.jpg

This one had a full ebony neck with maple inlays. Pretty cool.

Jackson-Custom-Shop-SL2H-7-EbN-2__61175.1392065853.1280.1280.jpg

And mine: (NGD thread pending).

flycq5gx14oug0ampppx.jpg

I heard he got kicked out of Jackson because his "goofy builds" always took various attempts which resulted in plenty of scrapped guitars.

Jackson categorizes their Chris Broderick offerings as "soloists" even though the body shape and contours are different. I think they're covering the USA production 7s with that model as well as the juggernaut for a bolt-on alternative (in place of dinky).

The broderick has enough "issues" to not be considered a soloist:

- 12" radius instead of compound 12-16"
- Floyd Rose Pro, which has a different (narrower) string spacing.
- Odd shape
- Weights a fucking ton

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, there is a "why" for not having USA production sevens, explained by a Jackson dealer. Basically they don't have CNC programs for them. All USA 7 string Jacksons are handbuilt. That's also why they're in the "masterbuilt" category. It's just not cost-effective for them.

That reason is pretty much bullshit, and I've heard it before too.

They have production USA 7-strings, so they have at least some CNC plots available and in use.

It's not even that expensive or time consuming to program. Where I work custom makes complex machine parts with CNC. It only takes a single employee a day or two to whip something up. Heck, smaller operations come out with new designs fairly frequently.

The thing is, FMIC has always been pretty averse to 7 and 8 strings. You can't even order a handbuilt one from Fender or Charvel. They refuse to do it.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
That reason is pretty much bullshit, and I've heard it before too.

They have production USA 7-strings, so they have at least some CNC plots available and in use.

It's not even that expensive or time consuming to program. Where I work custom makes complex machine parts with CNC. It only takes a single employee a day or two to whip something up. Heck, smaller operations come out with new designs fairly frequently.

The thing is, FMIC has always been pretty averse to 7 and 8 strings. You can't even order a handbuilt one from Fender or Charvel. They refuse to do it.

Yeah, it's their reasoning. Their "production" sevens are handmade. All USA Jacksons come from the same place, but obviously six strings are all CNC'd (maybe besides the Friedman, Juggernaut and Dominion models). Here's a bit more of info after re-checking my sources:

"Only Corey Beaulieau V's are CNC'd. Every other one is hand built. Still, the Corey B's cutouts are hand made since they don't have a machine for that. Any Corey B has taken at least a year to get out of them. It is brutal".

Bullshit or not, end result is: We still don't get a godammn soloist :(. If you want something other than a sig model your only choice is to hunt for used B7s. You're basically getting a CS for the 1,5k they go used.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a blue 7-string Charvel somewhere, though.

Last edited: