Jackson NAMM 2020

• Thread starter Lada The Great
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
Funny stuff is that you can buy plenty of used MiJ Jacksons (although not sevens) from 250$ upwards. Got myself an SLSMG for 250€ which is a ridiculous guitar even for 1k.

MIJ SL3s and RR5/KE5 usually sell around 500$ and will destroy any import they've put in the recent years.

The older MIJ stuff has sadly gotten more expensive over the last couple of years. You can still get the 00's models for dirt cheap thankfully (paid $250 for my DK2M), but I miss the days of $300 Fusion and Stealth Professionals.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The older MIJ stuff has sadly gotten more expensive over the last couple of years. You can still get the 00's models for dirt cheap thankfully (paid $250 for my DK2M), but I miss the days of $300 Fusion and Stealth Professionals.

The old pros are definetely expensive now. You can blame internet hype for that (the cat is out of the bag for quite some time already). However newer hi-end pros such as the SLSMG, RR5 or KE5 can be had for 500$ or less.

Tuned

Reaction score
2910001518_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Oh mannn...

I was after a 7 with a floating bridge and this looks like it'll fit the bill quite nicely.
why does it have to be a Pro only
why does it have to be equipped with a 1000 series only
why does it have to be a bolt-on only
why use ash and kill the idea of a longer scale
so much hope for a perfect model once seeing this picture,so much the miss finding the specs sheet.

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
so much hope for a perfect model once seeing this picture,so much the miss finding the specs sheet.
Because this is exactly what's selling. Also never understood the hate against the 1000 series floyd. I have one in my USA made JP16 and it's absolutely perfect. Stays in tune as good as my Ibanez Edge.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I mean, if it's popular enough, they'd probably release a US version.

But uh, the bolded... I don't get? :lol: 1000-series bridges are legit. And whats wrong with the ash/26.5'' combo?

Adieu

Reaction score
Haven't you heard? Ash shrinks about an inch over time making the guitar 25.5".

I think that's a joke about somebody's NON-musical "equipment"?

Ash is a male name in some parts of the world

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
1000 series Floyd locking nuts are around 15" or 16" radius. The OFR7 nut is 10" I think. The difference matters. Of course you can use the OFR7 bridge but 1000 nut if you have a 16" radius, but it's easier and cheaper to just use the 1000 kit.

I dunno the radius on that Jackson, but that may have been on consideration for the 1000 series.

Tuned

Reaction score
Because this is exactly what's selling.
Ah, that marketing mantra! So , MIM Charvel only sells because of the 1000 series, and the MIJ HM Strat reissue will only live because of the fr special, is that correct? not because "what is selling" is what they sell to you , and you have no valid choice? Thus indonesian Pro with so-so specs and quality that brings up discussions is at the $1400 point, and it's selling for that money by itself, right? The MIJ Professional and the Pro were worse guitars altogether and it was the buyers who ruled them out of the market replacing with indonesian Pro, is that exactly what happened?
How about this - there is an option of color or fancy top for about $100 upcharge or so in the MIM Charvel line. I would pay an upcharge of like $120-150 instead to get an OFR and then f*ck the fancy top, - are you positive this option wouldn't be selling?
Also never understood the hate against the 1000 series floyd. I have one in my USA made JP16 and it's absolutely perfect. Stays in tune as good as my Ibanez Edge.
oh yes I read about your love to your JP16 but that's your personal attitude. My personal is that, otherwise the better model for me than some of the others (I sold my JP7 exactly because I was disappointed by the EBMM Modern Trem), the 1000 series floyd is one rotten trick by filthy scavengers of marketing people, given the guitar being a $3K - range instrument.
1000 is not "absolutely perfect". They just install it cutting corners saving less than a hundred bucks or whatever on each instrument. I also have a 1000 on my current MIJ Schecter Japan SD-7-24 built in a ESP Takada facility in Japan. It is a very nice instrument altogether (actually better built than the JP7 it replaced), but I don't say the 1000 "absolutely perfect", because I 've lately had a CIJ ESP Edwards with an OFR, a MIJ Fernandes with a GOTOH1996T and another MIJ Fernandes with an OEM by GOTOH Fernandes-branded bridge, and I know the difference by my own hands. They all are better than the 1000, each in its own way. The sad thing is , the 6-string version of this same model comes with a GOTOH1996T, which is absolute perfect for me personally.
Nevertheless, I am looking forward to upgrade my guitar with an OFR7. Probably doing that by my coming birthday.

Last edited:

Tuned

Reaction score
I mean, if it's popular enough, they'd probably release a US version.

But uh, the bolded... I don't get? :lol: 1000-series bridges are legit. And whats wrong with the ash/26.5'' combo?
hopefully they will.

it is legit; but the marketing people make it a vast choice of colors that add nothing to the sound but don't offer the choice of better compoments at an upcharge, and aftermarket upgrading is more expensive.

what's wrong with ash + longer scale: ash being my first choice for bass guitars because of the clarity it adds , it is just too harsh and brittle in the guitar frequencies range to my ears. I've played a few Schecter Jeff Loomis guitars, they were fine from the viewpoint of components, but sounded as jigsaws. The Jackson Jeff Loomis - well, we've heard the sound samples from the ad. Hopefully you loved it.
A longer scale 'for metal' guitar implies accent on the lower frequencies, also likely by tuning down. And then you use ash to do ...what? cut the lows and move the accent back to the higher frequencies again?

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
These days someone at even a guitar company will look at the cost/benefit of things like different finishes vs different pickups.

They’ll have sales data to tell them what sells and a lot of it, especially on mid tier models, is just number crunching.

Zhysick

Reaction score
hopefully they will.

it is legit; but the marketing people make it a vast choice of colors that add nothing to the sound but don't offer the choice of better compoments at an upcharge, and aftermarket upgrading is more expensive.

what's wrong with ash + longer scale: ash being my first choice for bass guitars because of the clarity it adds , it is just too harsh and brittle in the guitar frequencies range to my ears. I've played a few Schecter Jeff Loomis guitars, they were fine from the viewpoint of components, but sounded as jigsaws. The Jackson Jeff Loomis - well, we've heard the sound samples from the ad. Hopefully you loved it.
A longer scale 'for metal' guitar implies accent on the lower frequencies, also likely by tuning down. And then you use ash to do ...what? cut the lows and move the accent back to the higher frequencies again?

Nope.

Longer scale means better intonation for thicker strings, considering on a 7 string you use a thick string for the lowest it is interesting to have a longer scale to improve intonation and have better in-tune chords and all intonation related. Longer scale also means more tension so you can use thinner strings, which improves intonation, because you get more tension from the scale length. Also, if you tube lower: yes, a longer scale with thinner strings will give you more bite so more definition in the lower notes making the sound clearer so do the swamp ash and it's emphasis in the higher frequencies...

So, in paper, is a nice way to make a metal 7 string guitar.

Tuned

Reaction score
These days someone at even a guitar company will look at the cost/benefit of things like different finishes vs different pickups.

They’ll have sales data to tell them what sells and a lot of it, especially on mid tier models, is just number crunching.
excuse me I am not sure I grasp what you are driving at.
are you driving to the idea that buyer who cannot order a slightly better version of the product at an adequate upcharge ought to be reconciliated to know there's probably a potential niche for a glistening purplish with sparkle color to be sold this time of the year to more other people around the world?

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score

1 - OFRs are 10-12" whereas FR-1000 is 15-16" so the OFR needs to be shimmed to work with Jackson's compound radius. That's extra labour that matters cost-wise so obviously it's better for them to use 1000 series models on non-USA models. There is ZERO need to replace a FR-1000. It's rock solid.

2 - Ash + longer scale is the magic combo that EVERYONE wants for their extended range guitars these days. It's the safe option for them, and the one that makes the most sense since it's what *most* people wants. Indeed people want their sevens to sound like ducks with jigsaws these days, so models are built on that demand.

3 - Bolt-ons. Again, this is what everyone wants this days for MOAR pick attack, clarity, definition and ducks with jigsaws. User demand.

4 - Conclusion: This will sell like hot cakes.

Last edited:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't get the FRT1k hate. It's come a long way.

It's made in South Korea by Sung-Il, who has been making hardware for everyone for decades, to OFR spec. Same materials milled on similar modern equipment to the same tolerances. They've even been putting better parts on them too. The threading on the fine tuners and locking nuts is much better than even a few years ago, trem posts have been tighter too.

For what it's worth, Sung-Il probably has a better overall manufacturing record than Schaller, who has had fairly significant ups and downs in recent memory.

The one downside, some finishes on them isn't as nice, especially the chrome. But it's minor.

The way I see it, beat the crap out of it for years and then upgrade when it needs replacement, if even still own the guitar.

Blind Tortuga

Reaction score
I kinda agree. Really dont like that its bolt on. I may have bought it otherwise. I dont have experience with Floyd's so i can't speak on that.

Tuned

Reaction score
I don't get the FRT1k hate.
There is no 'hate' - why even suppose 'hate'? of the two items available I want the better one and ready to pay extra for it - is it against capitalism lately or something?

Same materials milled on similar modern equipment to the same tolerances
This is the question. You see, I've read in several sources that the materials are not same but similar, and Andertons' site still says so, and on the Floyd Rose site I can't find the correct information now and, using the contemporary rhetoric of the US special services, it seems highly unlikely that the same alloy is sent from the metallurgy Mecca, Germany to Korea to mill there.
In this regard, it makes really little difference in what equipment is used to achieve the same result, it is a simplictic 70-ies design, for goodness sake.
Same tolerances, I will comment on that below.

They've even been putting better parts on them too. The threading on the fine tuners and locking nuts is much better than even a few years ago, trem posts have been tighter too.
with all due appreciation of their attempt, I have had OFR, GOTOH, 1000, Takeuchi, Special and know the difference between them by my fingers. Trem post, on my current MIJ 7 with the FR1000 the trem is thinner than the cylinder it goes into, so there's free play before the trem actually begins to work. Also, the arm is not being fixed in the same way across the 360 degrees, and it tightens when I turn it (the arm, not the nut) clockwise and loosens when I turn it (the arm) counterclockwise. Also, it gets loose every now and then, many a time during a song. Also, even if I detach the bridge from the body to securely tighten the hex screw on the bottom, eventually the trem arm older cylinder loosens as well.
Ironically, the 6-string version of my guitar comes with ... the GOTOH1996 that is my favourite FR of all, but I can't get a GOTOH 7. I even asked (I can speak and write Japanese a bit), they said no.

The way I see it, beat the crap out of it for years and then upgrade when it needs replacement, if even still own the guitar.
That's great, but you have seen the prices in Europe. I must mention that my monthly wage is around the price of an unexpensive MIA guitar here. And most peope in my parts honourably toil and still earn less than myself. So I will always choose to invest in a simple-finished guitar, any color, no stars no glitter, but with the best components the same money can buy, and play it until I find a better guitar to substitute it. Why do I have to pay for 2 FR units if I only need the better one? And then when I need replacement buy the better one again.
In fact, I am about to buy an OFR7 for my current player, maybe for my coming birthday

MrWulf

Reaction score
Tuned bro with all due respect you need to stop huffing your own farts about these specs are shit and these trems are better than Floyd 1000. Your fingers' ability to recognize these parts' quality means jack fucking shit in the grand scheme of things when brands are trying to appeal to the mass market, not SSO or RigTalk basement dwellers.

Then again this is classic SSO so why am i bothering jfc

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
To each his own. It's like all the stuff you're not into I actually like about it. If anything I'd prefer 25.5 scale though,but this guitar looks sick. I still think it would look better with no inlays or just two mini fins at the 12 though, but those dots being small and offeset are actually not annoying to me. For $1400 I think it's a pretty strong contender compared to what other brands are offering. Plus it's greena and black, so you know it sounds good. Green is a great tone color. The best and black is second best. It's scientifically proven I tell ya' : )