Jackson Pro series quality issues , NGD - Mick Thomson SL2

• Thread starter WLJMTG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WLJMTG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi all,

New member, have used the forum in the past when researching gear etc.
so could use some opinions of those who may be more familiar with Jackson imports

I've bought a Mick Thomson SL2 in white. just shy of £750 ($950)
arrived this morning, box was a bit tatty and beaten up, a few dents and holes
and obviously previously opened and re-taped.
same goes for the inside of the box, horns of the guitar have clearly slammed about and hit holes in the packaging.

fearing the worst, I've unwrapped and inspected the guitar
and I have to say, I am a bit disappointed.

the finish of any body rout or truss rod adjustment cavity is well, c*ap.
rough timber un-sanded and unfinished and yellowing.
which is blatantly obvious at the bridge rout from any angle.

the fretboard has chips in near frets.
the binding is bulging and split/de-laminating.
the second fret is so bulgy at the binding its an obvious hump.

headstock rear has unfinished edges and dark grey spots on the paintwork

the Jack recess is very poor. rough internal, un-sanded, yellowing
with paint missing around the opening.

I've taken a lot of pictures , hopefully I can upload them with this post
...I've uploaded 10, but have about 30.. including how it was boxed etc.

I'm tempted to ask the retailer to arrange this to be collected and them send an unopened factory sealed replacement. hopefully this will not be in the same condition.
if it is, well, I guess this will be the first and last time I look at Jackson imports. :(

all opinions and advice welcomed

Cheers all

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg 10.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Buying guitars is always a gamble, and the cheaper the guitar the more likely you'll lose and get something like this.

Don't worry about it though. Send it back and try again. It happens.

WLJMTG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Im inclined to agree Jeff, whilst not a boutique guitar by any means, its most certainly one of my more expensive guitars.
Ive been a somewhat collector of mick thomson gear
but other than that i tend to buy mostly 400 ($500)-500 ($620) guitars.

i honestly dont remember so many obvious flaws in anything Ive bought before, from bottom end RG7321 up to signature models etc.

but I will take on all and any advice as this is my first outing with jackson so far, and willing to give the benefit of doubt

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not really a cheap guitar though.

In the grand scheme of things, it sort of is, being under $1k, certainly not crazy cheap or disposal levels of cheap.

Not that there is anything wrong with getting cheap guitars.

But the fact of the matter is, with few exceptions, the cheaper the guitar relative to the price of guitars, the more likely you are to get a dud, which is the spirit of what I'm saying.

There's a difference between this showing up in this horrid state and a USA version. I didn't think that would be controversial, but I get what you're saying.

Again, I don't mean to offend.

Honestly, @WLJMTG, these newer Indo Pro Series Jacksons have been fairly hit or miss. While plenty of folks on here have them, and really like them, I've never found a great one in the wild. I think it's worth giving Jackson another shot, but after that, go elsewhere. At least that's what I would do in your shoes.

Omzig

Reaction score
Id just pack it up and send it back,on a £200 harley benton i might have excepted it (maybe even expected it) but £750 no way,ive purchased B-Stock guitars with less faults.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, it sort of is, being under $1k, certainly not crazy cheap or disposal levels of cheap.

Not that there is anything wrong with getting cheap guitars.

But the fact of the matter is, with few exceptions, the cheaper the guitar relative to the price of guitars, the more likely you are to get a dud, which is the spirit of what I'm saying.

There's a difference between this showing up in this horrid state and a USA version. I didn't think that would be controversial, but I get what you're saying.

Again, I don't mean to offend.

Honestly, @WLJMTG, these newer Indo Pro Series Jacksons have been fairly hit or miss. While plenty of folks on here have them, and really like them, I've never found a great one in the wild. I think it's worth giving Jackson another shot, but after that, go elsewhere. At least that's what I would do in your shoes.

No I get it. I guess I’m just used to seeing Schecters, PRS SE, LTD, G&L Tributes etc. show up looking quite impressive for under a grand.

Jackson is in a sad state, IMO. They’ve got stupidly overpriced USA models, and then import models of questionable quality. Gone are the days of a mid level banger of a guitar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No I get it. I guess I’m just used to seeing Schecters, PRS SE, LTD, G&L Tributes etc. show up looking quite impressive for under a grand.

Jackson is in a sad state, IMO. They’ve got stupidly overpriced USA models, and then import models of questionable quality. Gone are the days of a mid level banger of a guitar.

I couldn't agree with you more.

It's such a shame, they have the legacy, they have the facilities, they just seem dead set on pandering to the Boomer/Gen X'er who goes to the CS for a boring, paint by numbers Soloist or Dinky.

Compare that to Charvel, who is absolutely killing it right now. Heck, even Fender is sitting prettier than Jackson as far as affordable, great guitars.

The competition has been focusing on the lower lines for years because they know that's where brand loyalty starts. I just can't see Jackson cultivating a following like ESP with the Black Metal and LTD600 lines, or Ibanez with the Premium line, or even Schecter with their mountain of sub-$1k offerings.

WLJMTG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Heck, even Fender is sitting prettier than Jackson as far as affordable, great guitars.

regarding fender, they'll be my next port of call if this guitar doesn't work out.
signature again, but the fender tele or possibly Jazzmaster jim root sig.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
regarding fender, they'll be my next port of call if this guitar doesn't work out.
signature again, but the fender tele or possibly Jazzmaster jim root sig.

Give Charvel a look too. They're sort of in the middle between Jackson and Fender as far as styling and features.

Those DK24s are something special.

Forkface

Feast on this.
Reaction score
Give Charvel a look too. They're sort of in the middle between Jackson and Fender as far as styling and features.
Those DK24s are something special.

its interesting, isnt it? how they're like, technically sister companies or whatever, how management would let something like this happen. you would expect at least some level of consistency.

@WLJMTG, where was the Jackson made? "low" tier Charvels are coming out of Mexico and i gotta say i've yet to find a bad one. I've played some good ones, and ive played a couple excellent ones. I did found a dud one time at GC, but i mean, its GC.

WLJMTG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
this was my thoughts/worries about how strange it is that 3 companies whom are give or take are actually one large company.
can be so wildly different in terms of QC etc

this SL2 is an Indonesian build.

I've been looking now at both the Jim root tele and the charvel pro mod DK24 HH.
I'm not a trem fan so the charvel DK options to me are looking limited.. but, from the albeit very limited research on these, they're unbelievable guitars.

also tempted to grab a HB amarok now too as an extra - knew I shouldn't look at these forums , ill end up bankrupt by the weekend haha:rofl:

Viginez

Reaction score
i have an wrxmg from 2013 i think (dunno how quality now is), and i'm surprised how well built it is...not the best sounding guitar, but hey...
i think it's just hit or miss in this price class, you have to try another one.

Karg

Reaction score
My $250 2019 JS32t King V has great attention detail, very nice looking binding/fretboard. The cavities are routed out nicely. I do not see how Jackson did a worse job with a more expensive model like this SL2. I would send it back.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
All I've heard of Jackson for the last couple of years has been shit. Even the very expensive models (USA HT series) and Custom Shop stuff have had way more problems than would be prudent in that price range. And all the sub-1K Jacksons I've tried (I've tried 3 on my local dealer) have had sharp frets.

Seriously, when you can go get an ESP LTD 1000 series for 700 euros (or 400-600 used), and you get a professional, damn near perfect instrument, I see absolutely no reason to buy a Jackson.
There are also loads to choose from if you're willing to buy 2nd hand.

I understand that you're a fan of Mick, but Jackson's stuff are really not worth the money anymore. It's evident they have a ton of issues in the QC department.

TheTrooper

Reaction score
All I've heard of Jackson for the last couple of years has been shit. Even the very expensive models (USA HT series) and Custom Shop stuff have had way more problems than would be prudent in that price range. And all the sub-1K Jacksons I've tried (I've tried 3 on my local dealer) have had sharp frets.

Seriously, when you can go get an ESP LTD 1000 series for 700 euros (or 400-600 used), and you get a professional, damn near perfect instrument, I see absolutely no reason to buy a Jackson.
There are also loads to choose from if you're willing to buy 2nd hand.

I understand that you're a fan of Mick, but Jackson's stuff are really not worth the money anymore. It's evident they have a ton of issues in the QC department.
I've had a HT6 (used) and it sounded great; played like dogs*it.
Neck horribly twisted, nut slots WAY too low on the first fret anf god knows what with the finish of the neck.
Later got a used PC1 (2017 model) and it's perfect, but yeah, they should do something about the USA models really.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
this was my thoughts/worries about how strange it is that 3 companies whom are give or take are actually one large company.
can be so wildly different in terms of QC etc

I've been looking now at both the Jim root tele and the charvel pro mod DK24 HH.
I'm not a trem fan so the charvel DK options to me are looking limited.. but, from the albeit very limited research on these, they're unbelievable guitars.

also tempted to grab a HB amarok now too as an extra - knew I shouldn't look at these forums , ill end up bankrupt by the weekend haha:rofl:

Yeah, not a lot of fixed bridge love in the Charvel camp at the moment.

Just the DK24 HT in walnut and So-Cal 2 which is more of a Tele hybrid thing. Cool guitars, but definitely a different aesthetic than what you were originally going for.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Send that shit back. Looks like it may have been a first-run and floor model. It does happen, just be clear about the issues when you reach out to the retailer.