Jackson SL2H-7 USA Custom Shop Run - CLOSED RUN !!

Disregard this poll. Look at the OP for the two options.

• All Snow White w/ Matching Headstock, MOP inlays & Black Headstock Logo, black binding, black bezels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All Gun Metal Gray w/ Matching Headstock, MOP inlays & Headstock Logo, white binding, black bezels &

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Reaction score
Spent a couple hours of quality time with mine yesterday. After a little mini-setup, I was immediately impressed with the fretwork and fingerboard quality and obviously the subtle asthetics that I was expecting. However, the treble side tremelo spring was rubbing against the the sidewall of the cavity in the as shipped furthest hole on both ends position. This took me all of 3 seconds of moving the tremelo arm to discover, and in all honesty is pretty damn piss poor for an instrument of this quality and suprised me quite a bit. This soured me on the build some, but was an easy fix in moving the springs over a notch.

At this point I became substantially more critical and noticed the nut was cut a hair deep, particularly on the treble side and will likely need a shim or a touch more relief to resolve potential fretting issues on the high E. Also, while I appreciate they glue in all their frets, there was a good bit of squeeze out on mostly the higher frets for a bit of bondline slop, but this is also merely asthetic.

All in all a great piece that needs a little more work than it should out of the box, but a classic nonetheless.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Qweklain

Reaction score
Spent a couple hours of quality time with mine yesterday. After a little mini-setup, I was immediately impressed with the fretwork and fingerboard quality and obviously the subtle asthetics that I was expecting. However, the treble side tremelo spring was rubbing against the the sidewall of the cavity in the as shipped furthest hole on both ends position. This took me all of 3 seconds of moving the tremelo arm to discover, and in all honesty is pretty damn piss poor for an instrument of this quality and suprised me quite a bit. This soured me on the build some, but was an easy fix in moving the springs over a notch.

At this point I became substantially more critical and noticed the nut was cut a hair deep, particularly on the treble side and will likely need a shim or a touch more relief to resolve potential fretting issues on the high E. Also, while I appreciate they glue in all their frets, there was a good bit of squeeze out on mostly the higher frets for a bit of bondline slop, but this is also merely asthetic.

All in all a great piece that needs a little more work than it should out of the box, but a classic nonetheless.
In relation not only two the missing pieces on mine (which I e-mailed Fender and still have no response yet), there is quite a bit of glue residue on all of my frets/binding as well. It is not terrible, but easily noticeable when you look at it. Maybe I am being over-critical, but I agree with you it seems a bit sloppy...

Reaction score
I have another jackson USA that has the same very minor issue, I guess I just assumed the cs would be better. Which it substantially is, but I guess I was being critical after the tremelo spring issue. Don't get me wrong, given the choice, I would much rather have glued frets with a little residue than shit that gets loose with temp/humidity cycles and aging.

Qweklain

Reaction score
I got the nut pad screw that was missing and the back-plate. Still waiting on the screws, but they should be on their way.
The back plate is wrong, and now I have to send it back to get a new one cut since the route for these is not standard as their other 7 models... most unfortunate...

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The back plate is wrong, and now I have to send it back to get a new one cut since the route for these is not standard as their other 7 models... most unfortunate...

Wth?? The plate seems to be like the normal 6 string cavity covers from their soloist line.

Qweklain

Reaction score
Wth?? The plate seems to be like the normal 6 string cavity covers from their soloist line.
I dun know, but the plate I got is too small (does not line up to all edges like a plate normally does) and NONE of the holes line up at all. :scratch:

mattsmusic

Reaction score
Guys - We have one of these guitars left that's brand new in box. One of the forum members who ordered it didn't have funds available when they came in so I'm doing special pricing on it to move it along. PM me for details, it's a great deal on a killer 7 string USA Jackson!

Matt

Matt's Music Center
1597 Main Street
Weymouth MA 02190 USA
781-335-0700
www.mattsmusic.com
facebook.com/mattsmusiccenter
----------------------------------------------
6 months 0% Financing Available
ESP, Jackson & Charvel Custom Guitars
Winner of NAMM's "Top 100 Dealer Award"
New England's Only Bad Cat & Dr Z Dealer
PRS, Grosh, Suhr and Tom Anderson Guitars
Splawn, Bogner, Diezel, Mesa Boogie, Two Rock
Now stocking Friedman, Fuchs, Strymon & Wampler

mattsmusic

Reaction score
smallbatch7a.JPG

This one's ON SALE if anyone wants to grab it. PM for pricing!

Qweklain

Reaction score
Well I shipped it out a few weeks ago overnight prepayed and got it back overnighted a couple days later. So everything good now with mine.

For anyone who missed this run it looks like there are two on eBay right now. If they play as well as mine does they are definitely worth the pick up! One is the one leftover from Matts and the other was a trade-in somewhere.

Latest posts