Jackson USA Dave Mustaine King V 'Probably' Custom Shop? Anyone recognize the serial?

blueridgemusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey Everyone! I'm mostly an acoustic player, so I'm not deep into the electric side of guitars, and I have a question about identifying a specific guitar. I recently acquired a Dave Mustaine Jackson King V made in the USA that has a serial number DM081. It's in great shape. It has the LSR Tuners and it HAD a Kahler bridge. The bridge is missing. I have a replacement on the way that should be functionally the same but is a Kahler 3300, not a 3310 like the original. I believe everything else is original. My main concern is that I can't find any information on that Serial number. I'm afraid it isn't legit or something.

All the other KV1 or Signature series I can find are JXXXXX numbers. Or some UXXXXX numbers. There's also the PCS Series, all of which (from what I can tell) have normal tuners and floyd rose's, but they did have serials with the format DMXXX 92 (with the date). So it's a confusing piece of hardware. The only thought I have is that it's possibly a custom shop from before 1996, when (according to the catalogs from the jackson site) the first KV1 Came out with LSR Tuners. I know that Dave's "No 1" was a DM010, which is the same format (without the date) and the catalogs say his guitar was a custom shop guitar.

I tried calling Jackson, of course. But since they got bought by Fender, they didn't keep any information from before, so I can't find anything.

Anyone have any thoughts about this guitar? I have a feeling it's worth far more if I sell it than if I keep it. FYI. Just trying to narrow it down to know for sure.

IMG_5036.jpgIMG_5039.jpgIMG_5040 1.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mastapimp

Reaction score
It looks legit and lots of early KVs have the DM serial numbers.

Stuff out of the custom shop is kinda weird with regard to serials. I have a masterbuilt warrior that doesn't even have a serial stamped into the board (i think it's in the control or trem cavity).

manu80

Reaction score
LSR and kahler locating speak from themselves to me. The pups could have been swapped, check if they're SH2/SH4. Dave used a OBL in the neck for a while too....hence the swap later maybe
If you don't want it, well i can help you to get rid of it lol

blueridgemusic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back sooner everyone. I was out of town all day yesterday. Thanks for weighing in. The pickups are Duncan SH.4 JBL on the neck and Duncan TB.6 on the bridge. I have no way of knowing if they're original, except that they're obviously old. The wiring does not look like it has been modified. I feel like that lends credence to the custom shop theory. Not Dave mustaine exact pickups.

After continued research, I'm thinking I can get quite a bit for it. So it's going up for sale.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get back sooner everyone. I was out of town all day yesterday. Thanks for weighing in. The pickups are Duncan SH.4 JBL on the neck and Duncan TB.6 on the bridge. I have no way of knowing if they're original, except that they're obviously old. The wiring does not look like it has been modified. I feel like that lends credence to the custom shop theory. Not Dave mustaine exact pickups.

After continued research, I'm thinking I can get quite a bit for it. So it's going up for sale.

Hit Randall Pearson @Chondro Guitars ( Randall@chondroguitars.com ) about this one. I recall him saying he was looking for one of these. Maybe you guys can work out a deal.

Last edited:

Possessed

Reaction score
Most of Jackson mustaine models are from USA production line with UXXXX serial number, just as the one in the photo. The pcs model is the only one with dm serial numbers. Others with dm numbers are built for mustaine himself. There are few custom Kv1s with silver finish and mirror top, e.g.
I used to own couple of custom shop ones but unfortunately sold them all.
To be honest except the Kahler bridge and mustaine's name, the ones with alder or poplar body are just like kv2.