James Cameron's "Avatar"

TheClownPrince

-ASYLUM INMATE-
Reaction score
Since you guys were so adamant, I watched it again... and alright, it's not quite as bad as I thought. I don't love it, but it's fine, I don't hate it. 3D can still suckle my testicles though.

Furthermore... (since this double posted)

If you guys have a problem taking things with a pinch of salt or swallowing someone elses opinions on a fucking forum (opinions you don't have to give a second thought to if you don't want to) or if you simply enjoy crying, then take it up with me in PM instead of anonymous pussy-ass bad feedback. I don't give a damn about the feedback, but the anonymous pussy side is pathetic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
Yay more negative rep from an anyonymous dickhead. AWESOMEZ!

Danny it's not what you're saying but how you're saying it. We've managed to have a perfectly reasonable difference of opinion and have argued the points pretty well IMHO. Compared to a lot of places I'd say this forum has a low tolerance level and you need to modify your behaviour accordingly.:cool:

Interesting...

That's what makes me appreciate truly original ideas.

It's an excellent work I think, by using that you can break down pretty much any film, play or novel into it's basic themes. In some respects it's the Aarne-Thompson classification system but broken down into even more basic blocks.
Aarne-Thompson classification system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It may also be the great-grandfather of current TV Tropes.

Arminius

Reaction score
Probably old, but I didn't see it in this thread.

24pdu95.jpg

Should make the DVD

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I wonder if the favourite films of the people who have said that Avatar's story has been done to death have basic stories, they're just unaware of it?

I read this the other day:

11 reasons Avatar SHOULD win Best Picture

I found that I wholeheartedly disagreed with all of the points bar 1, 2, 3 and 11.

I actually agree with 6 and 7. :lol: Not the Iraq comment for the most part. Especially since indigenous tribes are being forced off their lands by mining companies all the time.

Probably old, but I didn't see it in this thread.

Should make the DVD

That hasn't been posted yet, so good find. :yesway:

That scene was in the original script.

BigBaldIan

Bald and gribbly.
Reaction score
I actually agree with 6 and 7. :lol: Not the Iraq comment for the most part. Especially since indigenous tribes are being forced off their lands by mining companies all the time.

That hasn't been posted yet, so good find. :yesway:

That scene was in the original script.

The opening scene in the bar, when he delivers a beatdown on some douchebag then gets thrown out?

Arminius

Reaction score
The opening scene in the bar, when he delivers a beatdown on some douchebag then gets thrown out?

Yeah, after he takes up for the girl or whatever

I've been looking for more pics, no luck so far :(

Edit: I think I found a few.

normal_05%7E0.jpg

fck0ew.jpg

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
Ah dammit. It looks like they left in that Tseutey death scene from the original script. I'm not a happy camper... :(

I found these videos very interesting, especially for the 3D nay-sayers, people who want to know about the sequel and Cameron's Oscar ambitions:

James Cameron Says Grammys Did 3-D Wrong | Video | MTV

James Cameron Discusses His Chances On Oscar Night | Video | MTV

James Cameron Says Everyone Is Highly Motivated To Do 'Avatar 2' | Video | MTV

All the videos in that playlist are worth watching, though.

EDIT: These are also quite good. Part four in particular shows that they really put an emphasis on the quality of acting and it wasn't just half assed.

TheClownPrince

-ASYLUM INMATE-
Reaction score
Danny it's not what you're saying but how you're saying it. We've managed to have a perfectly reasonable difference of opinion and have argued the points pretty well IMHO. Compared to a lot of places I'd say this forum has a low tolerance level and you need to modify your behaviour accordingly.:cool:

That's sort of what annoyed me mate, you and I were having a perfectly fair and well meaning debate on the merits (or lack of) of the movie and of 3D in general, and someone came in and began telling me what to do, how to speak and how to behave. It rather pissed me off as until that point I had done little I'd deem wrong. When people read subtle sarcasm and/or humour on a computer screen, they usually fail to understand or appreciate it. I don't take kindly to the provocation that usually comes my way when someone seems to go out of their way to misunderstand me, I don't think anyone does. And since it's not a site I frequent, I felt free enough to tell them to piss off. That whole anonymous stuff really ruffled my feathers alot... but you know what ?... bugger it. I'm a geordie, so forgiving and forgetting is part and parcel of life.

BAFTAS tonight, I wonder who the big winners will be, I can't recall if Avatar is up for any awards, but I imagine it is. Should be interesting.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
So I bought the DVD for this tonight, and I started half watching it (it's on while I do chores around the apartment, basically) but I sat down for a moment, and I have a gift for the rest of you:

If you have the DVD/Blueray/Whatever:

PAUSE IT AT EXACTLY 35:58. Maybe zoom in, if you feel so inclined.

You're welcome. :yesway:

sentagoda

A serious man
Reaction score
Avatar is acutally one of the worst movies i have seen. Story wise it should have been slaugthered. Picturewise is amazing, but movie had a budget that many countries would dream of, so i kinda expected insane picture. But a rotten story with cheesy dialouge and acting.

Edika

Reaction score
Avatar is acutally one of the worst movies i have seen. Story wise it should have been slaugthered. Picturewise is amazing, but movie had a budget that many countries would dream of, so i kinda expected insane picture. But a rotten story with cheesy dialouge and acting.

I agree.
I was amazed by the visual effects and the whole concept of the alien world. But the 3D technology is not that amazing yet! It was interesting but I could see it that it was like 3 levels of depth and not exactly 3D. Maybe I am being too harsh since this is the blooming of a new technology in films but for me the reaction of most people was like when most of us our first 200-300$ guitar, it was the best guitar ever.
Now the story was a collage of different movies and novels that was ground up to an over-simplistic story. Even animated pictures for kids below 12 have more subtlety in their message. And I am sure it was rated for people over 16. It is an enjoyable movie but nothing more than that, even though I expected to escalate to the levels of stupidity that followed the DaVinci Code. :realmad::realmad: