Jeff Loomis leaves Arch Enemy

• Thread starter Manurack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NexusMT

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Honestly... not surprising and I'm happy that Jeff is out. Jeff didn't feel right in the band, he has way more talent than what the band plays.

Jeff please reform Nevermore or start a band with the same feel.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly... not surprising and I'm happy that Jeff is out. Jeff didn't feel right in the band, he has way more talent than what the band plays.

Jeff please reform Nevermore or start a band with the same feel.
It feels very similar to Chris Broderick being a member of In Flames. No lead parts for In Flames require a player of Chris’ caliber.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Nah even though I think Chris Broderick is a boring songwriter, him in In Flames is a waaaay bigger talent gulf than Jeff in Arch Enemy. AE does a lot of soloing and Chris Amott is a super talented player to replace. The problem is that AE is The Mike Amott Show now and wasn't allowed to shine.

I'm still pissed Black Earth was a one-off, that project had so much portential

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
It feels very similar to Chris Broderick being a member of In Flames. No lead parts for In Flames require a player of Chris’ caliber.
I always find opinions like this funny, and for transparency I think this same stuff all the time... but for all we know Chris loves In Flames music and loves playing with the band. It's not like everything he plays has to be a technical circus to get through. Some people just play music for fun.

Anecdotal but I'm friends with Chris Amott on Facebook, not really friends but I added him one day And I accepted. I posted.some innocuous thing Bout my dog and he commented. I felt.famous

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I always find opinions like this funny, and for transparency I think this same stuff all the time... but for all we know Chris loves In Flames music and loves playing with the band. It's not like everything he plays has to be a technical circus to get through. Some people just play music for fun.
Yeah considering he was allowed to do his thing on the last In Flames album and didnt seem to be held back, and the fact he even broke up Act of Defiance after becoming a full member of IF... I don't think he's exactly moping about. :lol:

FloridaST

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I actually feel happy that he's out of Arch Enemy. I liked Michael Amott when he was in Carcass which is obviously a legendary band but I only remember listening to Stigmata and not much past that. I really don't like female vocalists in metal.

Velokki

GAS station
Reaction score
Nah even though I think Chris Broderick is a boring songwriter, him in In Flames is a waaaay bigger talent gulf than Jeff in Arch Enemy. AE does a lot of soloing and Chris Amott is a super talented player to replace. The problem is that AE is The Mike Amott Show now and wasn't allowed to shine.

I'm still pissed Black Earth was a one-off, that project had so much portential

Seriously, if Broderick doesn't write music..
no one misses a thing.

If Jeff doesn't write, we might miss on some really great songs.

So Broderick is the ideal virtuoso guitarist to tour for a famous band. It's a paid gig. Great for him.

But Loomis... please stick to songwriting!

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Most professional musicians on earth play other people's music, it's a marginal fraction made of small bands that just gets out to play their own music.

ezboarderz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just give me a follow up album to conquering dystopia. That shit is still some of the most technical 7 string shredding I have ever heard. I’ve seen him a few times with arch and he always killed but I always felt like I would love to see him back with a 7 string.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
I don't care of Broderick can write music or not.

- Loomis
- Van Williams
- Broderick
- some good guy on Vocals

and play some Progressive Metal!

Loomis and Broderick are fucking insaaaaaaaane live! I love how you can hear the tonal difference between Jeff's EMG 707 active pickups vs Broderick's (probably) DiMarzio passive pickups - sterile & cold vs smooth & silky.

Manurack

Nunavut Inuk
Reaction score
Right before Jeff Loomis and Keith Merrow did the Conquering Dystopia project, they did a couple of "Jam Up Bro" videos that I still love to this day.

Jeff and Keith. Merrow's white Bernie Rico 7 string is sick!

Jeff and Keith with special guest, our favorite YouTube 7 string Chugmaster Ola Englund.

manu80

Reaction score
I disagree on Broderick (in)abilities. Some Act of defiance songs are really good (Lullaby of vengeance , Thowback ?)
HIs soloing is insane , just sometimes not "catchy" enough. But man, on Megadeth's Endgame , his playing was incredible !

(and he got one of the most best jackson usa model ever produced ;) )

kchoe1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I remember when this clip came out; so awesome. Thank you for sharing it again!

This is off-topic, but I think this might have been the Bare Knuckle-era for Chris, but also am not 100% sure.
Loomis and Broderick are fucking insaaaaaaaane live! I love how you can hear the tonal difference between Jeff's EMG 707 active pickups vs Broderick's (probably) DiMarzio passive pickups - sterile & cold vs smooth & silky.

oracles

Reaction score
and the fact he even broke up Act of Defiance after becoming a full member of IF... I don't think he's exactly moping about. :lol:
Breaking up AoD was his best move yet. Painfully bland music, and those vocals are...something.

Broderick is the perfect live fill in guy, he can play anything, but from what I've seen of his songwriting, he's better suited to playing someone else's riffs and just writing leads