John 5 and the Creatures

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone's made a thread about these guys yet, but here's a music video by them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ov6t1yqrx7Y

I've known that John 5 can play for a while but I've never checked out his music for myself. This was the first song I heard, and I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. I think he's got a good style, and his composition flowed smoothly without any moments where I was thinking "well, why the hell did he do that?" I guess that means in some ways it was a little straightforward, but he pulled it off with keeping the whole song exciting and high energy.

But something I really wanted to talk about is that there seems to be a lot of influence from Buckethead's music.

Now, that might be simply due to my own interest in Buckethead's music and techniques, but I'm pretty sure there is some influence here, most noticeably from the kill-switch playing which comes in around 3:55. However, the whole song kind of has a 'buckethead' sound to me, something in the phrasing of the staccato shredding rings of BH, and just the overall vibe has that 'bedroom shredder' sound, something which BH spearheaded over the past two and a half decades.

what do you think? Does John 5 obviously dig Buckethead's music? Also, what are your other thoughts about the song in general?
:shred:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Love love love John 5's solo stuff, saw him with his group late last year and he was brilliant, he can really create an amazing variety of sounds and the music misses nothing for not having vocals - the guitar is his voice!

As for a Buckethead influence, I really enjoy Buckethead's music as well as John 5's, but John 5 definitely has more country in a lot of what he does - his guitar is set up so he can bend notes behind the nut like a pedal steel, you can hear it on Behind The Nut Love especially. His first solo record was from around 2004 as well, he's been playing solo stuff for a long time. I think everyone picks up different ideas from different people. I love Buckethead but think John 5 writes tighter songs generally, with clearer structures, and he uses more chromatics, legato and odd groupings in his fast passages, compared with Buckethead's more wandering feel, sometimes ambient vibe, lightning sextuplets and his incomparable chromatic 8 finger tapping.

My main takeaway though if you haven't heard his music before is to dig in, because his discography is extensive and great. Songs For Sanity is my favourite, hard rock, industrial, shred, country, he can do it all! Really looking forward to his new record in March \m/

marcwormjim

Reaction score
John's just one of those unbelievably well-rounded players - He could release a different album every week; and you could say "It's obvious ______ is a huge influence on him", when he's really just composing in that style on a whim. Just check out the list of people he's written for - He's a versatile mother.

Kaura

Je suis ketchup
Reaction score
I used to listen a lot to this guy back in like 2006. I've always loved his signature guitars except for the one with the horrible headstock.

This has always been my favorite song. Used to watch this video every day back in the day.

Grand Rabbit

Reaction score
My main takeaway though if you haven't heard his music before is to dig in, because his discography is extensive and great. Songs For Sanity is my favourite, hard rock, industrial, shred, country, he can do it all! Really looking forward to his new record in March \m/

Yeah, that's definitely the plan. As soon as I heard that first song I posted I was blown away... the Buckethead influence was just an interesting aside... overall I think he's putting out some great music

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
I'm guessing the first two lines in the chorus.

Just watched again, so much fun. Thanks for sharing, I need to pick this up. I've liked his stuff for a long time but he kind of fell off my radar. This is a kick ass reminder!

eugeneelgr

Reaction score
He's always written interesting music. Not the tightest lead player out there, and there are moments in his composition where I went "this could definitely have been better if it was tighter or perhaps he shouldn't have been aiming out of his league with his writing", but so far most of his songs have been fun listens.

Difference between him and buckethead is that buckethead is a monster player. Like buckethead is writing music he can pull off any day of the week whereas John 5 is writing music he definitely needs to practice to pull off.

TGN

Reaction score
I like his stuff. I also like that he sort of does things his own way, both with gear choices and the music.

chinnybob

Reaction score
John 5 is one of the few "shredders" that I find interesting to listen to, I'm not much of an instrumental music guy but I've always enjoyed listening to him. He's one of those guitarists who has a voice unique enough that I can always tell when it's him playing.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yeah, that's definitely the plan. As soon as I heard that first song I posted I was blown away... the Buckethead influence was just an interesting aside... overall I think he's putting out some great music

One day I'll discover what Buckethead's up to currently, but I think it's already too late for my chances of listening to his whole discography before I die.

What are your face BH records?