Josh Travis of TTDTE Questions

Thundercloud

Reaction score
I have a few questions that I can not for the life of me figure out by myself. I love The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza and Josh Travis' playing in this band.

1. How does he get his set up so he can play high harmonies without his low chugging being harmonized? His leads have a harmonizer or pitch shifter of some sort obviously but how does it not affect his quick open note chugging in between each lead? He definitely does not turn it on and off real quick from what I can see in live videos.

2. Does anyone know what his rig is?

3. What harmonies is he using for all his harmonized leads?

Thanks in advance for all help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
i know he double tracks everything so there is potentially 4 parts for each riff you hear and will explain hearing some parts with harmonizers vs others.

he was using engl invaders, i know he has the axe fx now, but dont know what effect processors he uses, he is big on the pitch shifters though

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
well danza IIII they prob wrote knowing it would never be played live. danza III had much less of that going on and i know select tracks were not played live,

Thundercloud

Reaction score
Watch any live video though and it's still there. I'm just really curious how he does it. I have had no luck finding a second guitar player for my band so would like to try to find a way to do this live like Travis does.

Reaction score
He will run the original guitar's DI from the original recording into the axefx or amp, on a seperate rig as if another guitarist were there. And I'm guessing it's all controlled on a computer sidestage.

pestilentdecay

Reaction score
For his harmonies, he's using an effect that pitch shifts the note he's playing down a semitone and up a semitone at the same time to create a dissonant sound

Nats

Reaction score
Watch any live video though and it's still there. I'm just really curious how he does it. I have had no luck finding a second guitar player for my band so would like to try to find a way to do this live like Travis does.

He plays to a backing track.

xCaptainx

Dr Djodson
Reaction score
Yeah backing tracks. I saw Glass Cloud at The New England Metalfest and there was a laptop on top of his Axe FX rig, presumably controlling his patch changes and backing tracks as there was some very obvious 2nd guitar parts going on.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Yep, lots and lots of minor second/major seventh harmonies, lots of stacked minor thirds (two minor thirds gets you a tritone, four gets you a major seventh)

There was a backtrack of second guitar parts for the last couple Danza tours run throuhg a full rig, so thats how live.