Just picked up another Xiphos

• Thread starter Larrikin666
  • Start date
  • Tags
    xiphos
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

concertjunkie

Reaction score
I have a a black xiphos XPT700, and I friggin love the guitar. The only upgrade I plan on doing in the near future is putting in a original floyd rose, but otherwise, it is my favorite (other than the s-series!)
Hoping to get the 7string xiphos soon!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I love that guitar, but they STILL don't offer a black finish?

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
They did. Alas, Japan only. :(

Congrats on the sick Xiphos. :yesway: One day I'll get a 27 fretter myself.

For some strange reason, I thought this topic was about YOU getting another Xiphos:lol: (I went directly to the thread from your last post showing on the man SS.org forum page, not from within the Standard guitars page, so you see where my confusion came from :lol:)

But yeah, to the OP, congrats on the new guitar man:hbang:

behemoth91

Reaction score
this makes me glad to be an owner of a xiphos, 2008 model in black. just wish it had black hardware. one of the very few guitars ibanez makes where you dont need to change pickups cause they sound horrible. btw what tunings do your xiphos live in?

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
Alright. I realize I'm bumping my old thread, but I actually have relevant info to post. My drummer confessed to me yesterday that it really bummed him out that I bought this guitar and NEVER played it once. All of my Xiphos guitars have been collecting dust ever since I tried to use one at a gig. I just couldn't handle the neck dive. I tried every straps on the planet and moved the buttons to every possible location. Things helped here and there, but the damn things still didn't sit comfortably enough to play. I also had issues finding strings that would let me tune down to drop A# and still feel right.

Both issues resolved this morning after drinking a Redline.

122187889_photobucket_18655_.jpg

This is originally what I set out to do this morning. I knew I still wouldn't be able to use the guitar standing up, but I at least wanted to be able to play it. The tremol-no was extremely easy to install. Probably took me less than 5 minutes. It works beautifully. I strongly recommend it.

I started getting bummed out myself when I looked over and saw two more Xiphos sitting around that I couldn't take out of the house. I started thinking of a crazy harness or something to build to actually play this guitar and have it feel natural. After drawing up plans for an hour and a half...I had an idea that seemed too damn simple to work. I tried it anyways.

122187889_photobucket_18653_.jpg

FML! All I had to do was loop the strap through my belt once. It made the guitar sit perfectly. Not only does it work...it works better than any strap on any guitar I've ever owned.

122187889_photobucket_18654_.jpg

Has anyone else tried something like this? It seems borderline retarded that something so simple was the best solution.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's one of the few 6-strings I'm GASing for.

Congrats man!

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a lot of money into modifying it further. I absolutely hate the color. I'm torn between turning this guitar into an amazing spectacle or just cheating and ordering exactly what I want from RAN. I'd love to mimic the Xiphos that Muhammed is playing right now...except it needs a reverse headstock. I'm not sure why he switched back.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Looking back at this thread, I want BOTH those damn Xiphoses. :lol:

Interesting use of your belt. I would have just relocated the strap button right between the wings. Here's mine.

31808_107309582646534_100001024779471_59573_6353025_n.jpg

See where the strap lock is placed.

XeoFLCL

Reaction score
Looking back at this thread, I want BOTH those damn Xiphoses. :lol:

Interesting use of your belt. I would have just relocated the strap button right between the wings. Here's mine.

31808_107309582646534_100001024779471_59573_6353025_n.jpg

See where the strap lock is placed.
Pretty much this, or putting it near the heel on the flat part, OR under the horn so it lifts over more of an area, along the corner of the horn aswell (thought that might be overkill as mine doesn't neckdive THAT bad :lol:). If I keep my Xiphos XPT700, I'm gonna do this (Depends.. I got an offer for an Ibanez SR706 in trans black and those things are pretty sexy.. FUCK!)

Larrikin666

Deadite
Reaction score
I moved the strap buttons to different places on all three of mine. Nothing completely fixed the neck dive. I'm diggin the belt solution way more.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I moved the neck-side strap button to the inside of the upper horn, and I put the strap around it. Don't have any diving issues.

I also pin the lower wing against the side of my right leg, and tip the headstock up a lot when playing. I learned to play standing on a Rhoads V though. :lol:

Since we're showing off Xiphos:
webDSCF0427.jpg

jaretthale78

7 stringed playa
Reaction score
i had one of these
playability was the fucking tits mackgey
but the first week the matte fnish started to wear
i wanted to cry
ok
well maybe i did
what
so im stupid cuz i cryed over a guitar?
yea real mature
you go on
tought guy

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Maybe try out a D-Sonic7? I love the midrange, and although it's got a powerful low end, it's not bassy at all, and it's nice and warm and tight on the bottom.