Karnivool thread?

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Hi guys, if there's another thread like this one - feel free to delete this one.

So, what's up with Karnivool these days? Are they working on some new music recently?

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
Hi guys, if there's another thread like this one - feel free to delete this one.

So, what's up with Karnivool these days? Are they working on some new music recently?
They're finally working on a new album. no word on release date though. Ian was kind of tied up with Birds of Tokyo for a long time
https://metalinjection.net/latest-news/karnivool-in-studio-for-first-new-album-since-2013
also they're doing vinyl reissues of themata/asymmetry and sound awake
https://www.loudersound.com/news/karnivool-to-release-first-three-albums-on-vinyl

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh shit, I thought they broke up since they didn't release anything in 6 years but this is exciting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
Oh shit, I thought they broke up since they didn't release anything in 6 years but this is exciting.

Nah they just take ages between releases. They've had at least two "getting out of the studio" tours in Australia since their third LP

nsimonsen

Reaction score
Firstly, best Australian band ever.

Secondly, I spoke with Hoss a little while ago and he said that album four was starting to take shape. They toured a bit over the last 12 months and road-tested a number of songs which have changed a bit.

Last week they announced a vinyl repress of their discography and they're about to play a few dates for Good Things festival here in Australia, so all of this kind of points towards them having a fairly active year in 2020.

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
I've always thought of this band being the contemporary heir to Tool. They live up to it, with the album taking so long, don't you think? I look forward to it arriving hopefully somewhere before 2028.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
Oh, good to hear that they're working on something. Being busy with other things is a totally normal thing, everybody has their lifes, duh.

I've always thought of this band being the contemporary heir to Tool. They live up to it, with the album taking so long, don't you think? I look forward to it arriving hopefully somewhere before 2028.

Nah, Tool is a different pair of shoes. There's a brief explanation on the late arrival of the new album from someone of the Tool camp. In my opinion it took a little bit too long but they were dealing with many other things back then (long tours, lawsuits etc.) I'm not here to start this conversation again tho.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
Karnivool is the shit. Probably my second favorite band after Gojira. Love these guys. Asymmetry is fantastic and We Are is one of the greatest songs of all time. They always have awesome mixes from Forrester Savell too. I bought two of the vinyls the moment they announced the pre-sale.

I hope they come out with new stuff soon... been way too long. Seeing em live would be a pleasure as well.

imo they do fit into the same general category as Tool, but they would be a more melodic and conventional version. Kinda like if Tool decided to be a little more radio friendly, and less sleep inducing

spilla

Reaction score
I will never pass up an opportunity to see these guys live. Killer sounds, great vocals and they play loud!

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
They are absolutely amazing live. I saw them in a smaller venue, and it was easily in my top 5 shows of all time.

Avedas

Reaction score
Karnivool is awesome, and they don't have as many interlude tracks as Tool which is a plus

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Love Karnivool. Love Sound Awake but I really like Asymmetry which some of my friends seem to dislike but to me that’s a brilliant album. I also love Themata too. Such a great band. I’ve been looking forward to their new stuff for quite a while and it can’t come soon enough.

TasmanSam

Reaction score
Caught them for the 5th time over the weekend, absolutely incredible as always. They will always be one of my top 5 bands. New album plz

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Love the last album. Probably one of the best in Prog.

Tried and tried to get into it but there are no hooks. And I'm not especially picky either, I've listened to it maybe a dozen times over the years and I can't remember a single melody or riff from it.