keeping your guitars in pristine condition all the time?

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I guess if my cost 1k I wouldnt care but my guitars are 4k and 5k. So for those people with expensive guitars, what are your thoughts?

I had a prs that was 1/100. I still didnt care about dings.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
I always let my beloved Gibson SG into the great outdoors for fresh air and exercise.:rocker:

IMG489_zps7duvpqjy.jpg

;>)/

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
depends on the guitars. Some I beat the fuck out of because they were already beat up when I got them or they were cheap af (ie my mini destroyer, mushok, agile, squier tele). Others like my usa charvel and customs get babied. It's not the end of the world if I ding a headstock or something but I'd prefer to keep them as clean and ding/dent free as possible.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Unless it's a guitar that's relatively beat-up already... I fail to understand how the way that you maintain or treat your instrument should relate to what you spent on it. "Oh this one was only $1k... so fuck it. This one was $2k... so I don't even look at it the wrong way."

Demiurge

Reaction score
To paraphrase Fight Club, given a long enough playing time, every guitar's pristine-condition survival rate drops to zero. You're going to wear down frets with playing, corrode the bridge with sweat, or just increase the chances of bumping or dropping it every time you pick it up. Unless you're a collector, if you're not going to play it- then why have it?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I guess if my cost 1k I wouldnt care but my guitars are 4k and 5k. So for those people with expensive guitars, what are your thoughts?

What are you going to do? Contact the manufacturer and pay for a refinish the first time you ding the guitar?

I think you are being way too extreme, it feels like you are coming from the perspective of collector moreso than a musician. I owned a guitar I spent 5k on once, and I played it constantly as I do with any expensive guitar I currently own.

I guess you save on string changes by not playing them and keeping them pristine, but if you're this concerned about damage on expensive guitars. Then like I said, if you're a collector you're fine. But if you're a musician who enjoys playing more, then maybe invest in cheaper instruments so you won't have to worry about it so much.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Are you someone who likes to keep their guitars in pristine condition, always worried about getting it dented, scratched or damaged? Do u baby your instrument? Overly protective? I am like this I have guitars that are over 20 yrs old that would be almost mint condition. But recently I am beginning to think maybe I should not care so much..because those dents, Mark's, scratched etc is from you. It shows history and the love you have and leaves your imprint on the instrument. All the greats like Tommy Emmanuel, Lincoln Brewster, Christopher McKee they all have dents, Mark's, scratches. So to put it another way, you are an author and your guitar and music is your book...do you want to write on it or leave it blank..sorry bad analogy. To clarify you should still take care of it but I was bit too extreme. Thoughts and opinions?

You're romanticizing it too much. An author creates *art*, and the type of art one makes on a guitar makes is music, not dents. You leave it blank by not playing it. So in either case, play your damn guitars.

In like 2 decades of guitar ownership, most in the pricey category, I've dinged 2 guitars. One during floyd maintenance, and one was just when it fell over during a photoshoot for a "for sale" ad :-/

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Every single time I play even if it's for 5 min:
  • I wash my hands
  • make sure I'm not wearing anything scratchy, like a belt or buttons
  • take the guitar out of the case
  • wipe down strings with GHS Fast Fret with some Finger Ease also sprayed on applicator
  • play
  • wipe down strings with Music Nomad String Fuel (if needed, wipe off any rust with cloth, and re-apply)
  • Place guitar back in case (sometimes wipe down with cotton cloth and polish, as needed)
GHS_Fast_Fret.jpg

s-l640.png

416wZbtSj0L._SX425_.jpg

Every single time.

Edika

Reaction score
I don't play live so it's easy for me to have my guitars in a more pristine condition. I do play all my instruments and none are a case queen but when I take them out to play them I'm trying to avoid walls, desks and other furniture. I don't go to extremes like clean strings every time and wiping them down all the time but they are grime free.

Since I started doing my own setups and changing pickups and other parts of the instrument, I have introduced some signs of wear myself despite trying not to. But that has made me more accepting about dings and scratches. But if I can avoid them, I will. If I played live though that would be a different story though and I can understand how that changes your perspective of an instrument.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Can't everyone just do what they want with their own stuff and then keep their fucks in a basket with a tight lid on as far as what everyone else does with their own stuff?

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Can't everyone just do what they want with their own stuff and then keep their fucks in a basket with a tight lid on as far as what everyone else does with their own stuff?

That's typically how it goes, but OP solicited opinions. So opinions he received, not sure how confusing that is.

Last edited:

MetalHex

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No I am type of person that probably doesn't care enough for my guitars, or at least I do the bare minimum.

That's why I dont have any expensive guitars, because I know how i am and they deserve better care! Im such a poor excuse for a human

diagrammatiks

Reaction score

The fucking what. You know this is a thread where the op asked for everyone’s goddamn opinion right.

Although being honest looking at op’s other posts and their post history I’m not entirely sure they aren’t a troll or someone with their priorities way the fuck out of wack.

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
There is a video of a guy talking for 20 minutes about how I should just chuck my guitars in a heap because Yngwie Malmsteen is a cock end, that's way beyond just people sharing what they do with their own guitars.

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
There is a video of a guy talking for 20 minutes about how I should just chuck my guitars in a heap because Yngwie Malmsteen is a cock end, that's way beyond just people sharing what they do with their own guitars.

Uh don’t watch the video?