Kemper Pedal

• Thread starter ExMachina
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Monster With .

Death row, water buffalo
Reaction score
I've been interested in something like this for a looong time. Glad Kemper is finally doing it. I'll be keenly waiting for the used market to crop up.

Jon Pearson

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mmmm almost. $650 is still a liiiiiiittle steep for me, I'm thinking at $500 I'd buy this to play at church

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
The price is in line with the HXstomp which I think is super intelligent from Kemper. The lack of a screen will be an issue for some. I'm not interested in it, but I'm glad they finally got around to doing a smaller form factor.

lattjeful

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
About five years too late tbh but I’m glad to see they did something like this. Looks cool!

chinnybob

Reaction score
Not hugely convinced by this. I guess if your an existing Kemper user who needs something portable then it could be a useful addition, but the switching capability seems a bit limited for live use. The price is decently accessible but there's stiff competition from the likes of Line 6 and if I was after a standalone modeler the (lack of) interface on the Kemper would be a massive turn off.

Basically seems to me like an expensive accessory aimed at people who already own a Kemper.

DC23

Reaction score
The lack of a screen is interesting as it surely would make things easier as far as recalling rigs and presets, etc. I'm sure the size limited options, as did the intended price. I'm bummed that there are a lot of effects limitations. Not only 2 pre 2 post, but some effects are just simply not offered, i.e. newer Kemper drive, pitch shifting (apart from an octaver), and some other stuff. For us in Canada it's like you're paying $1000-1200 (not sure exactly) for just amp profiling but still need to pair with your own external drives/fuzz, and other pedals. Not sure what places this head and shoulders above Tonex when the Tonex pedal can play Kemper profiles (if you don't mind the ethics around that).

cindarkness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like anyone carries a screen in their pocket 24/7
True, but I'm also one of those people who doesn't like to control things from my phone.. PC editor over USB is fine though - but that's only me.
What they could have done is this:
121212444.png

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cool idea but agreed it seems a little late to the party when the HX Stomp exists. I'm assuming regular Kempers aren't as limited when it comes to effects?

nickgray

Reaction score
No screen is crazy for this price. Mobile ecosystems are notoriously finicky and the support is short lived. MacOS is basically RNG from Apple - maybe it'll be supported, maybe they'll change everything and it won't be, nobody knows. Windows is the safest option, but even then it's not just the drivers, it's also the software itself. So it's still a crapshoot. 2-3 years? Yeah, sure. 5-10? It's anyone's guess.

Not that you'd really want to, but you can still use a 20 year old unit today provided it works. Win XP drivers? Good luck with that. Plus modern modelling units are extremely viable in the long term not in the least due to IR support which is where most of the tone comes from really. Helix is not going to become Zoom 505 in 20 years, that's just not how it works.

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah, it's not like anyone carries a screen in their pocket 24/7

Virtually every digital pedal in this price-range has a screen. I'm the type of person that doesn't want to pull out my phone and load up an app every time I want to make minor adjustments or figure out what bloody preset I'm on. This is just horribly user-unfriendly design. I shouldn't have to rely on a secondary peripheral/app to navigate their device.

I don't get what's up with Kemper and screens. They're getting completely lapped when it comes to UX. Even the display on the Stage looks like it uses the tech from the original Game Boy.

But, again, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I just like it because I like the Kemper technology, it's crazy simple, and while not as accurate as tonex/nam, it still gets pretty damn close. Actually, it basically has the form of a single layer neural net, at least from what I can tell reading the patent. So the whole thing amuses me.

It's a little expensive I suppose, but as hobbyist I would just buy it because I think it's fun, not for the practicality. I'm probably in the minority though.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
Virtually every digital pedal in this price-range has a screen. I'm the type of person that doesn't want to pull out my phone and load up an app every time I want to make minor adjustments or figure out what bloody preset I'm on. This is just horribly user-unfriendly design. I shouldn't have to rely on a secondary peripheral/app to navigate their device.

I don't get what's up with Kemper and screens. They're getting completely lapped when it comes to UX. Even the display on the Stage looks like it uses the tech from the original Game Boy.

But, again, that's just my opinion.
H9

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

???

The H9 was released in 2013 and has a screen. Sure, it has the app, but you can access the parameters directly on the pedal (the interface does kinda suck but it's better than nothing). Plus, the H90 has a massively improved screen.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
???

The H9 was released in 2013 and has a screen. Sure, it has the app, but you can access the parameters directly on the pedal (the interface does kinda suck but it's better than nothing). Plus, the H90 has a massively improved screen.
The H9 needs the app, was more expensive and sold really well.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
Cool idea but agreed it seems a little late to the party when the HX Stomp exists. I'm assuming regular Kempers aren't as limited when it comes to effects?
The effects in the full Kemper allow for 4 before and 4 after the rig. The effects section is good enough for me personally that I don't use anything else with the unit, all drives, modulation, pitch shifting, verb and delay I use are from the powered head itself. There are some effects that I think are better in other units and certainly some stand alone pedals are better at what they're intended for. But unless you have a very specific niche you need filled I think that the average guitar or bass player could have all grounds covered.

Roadsterjosh

Reaction score
I use the rig manager software to do 99% of my editing, but I think not having a screen on this unit will limit interest to a lot of the market.