KHDK Ghoul Junior... zero aggression?

• Thread starter AK66
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Werecow

Reaction score
If you like the 33 so much... that pedal is actually a copied TC Integrated Preamp with the bass and treble settings hardwired (with the bass all the way off). You could get a different TC clone that still has the bass and treble controls available like the Deadweald Audio Duality DX, or the Peper's pedals Dirty Tree.
I've got the Dirty Tree and a quarter turn of the bass knob restores some bass and thickness while retaining most of the chunkiness for the palm mutes. It has the same amount of overall boost to push the amp.

The Deadweald even has tubescreamer section that can be stacked with the TC side at the same time.

WarMachine

Reaction score
I thought Mesa OS 4x12 was top in the industry
Based on personal preference. To me, the best sounding cab currently is an EVH 4x12. But that's based on my taste.

"Top in the industry" is a rabbit hole dude. There's nothing wrong with trying out what everyone and their brother is raving about. But if something sounds "off" then that's not for you. Try something else. Best part is, you'll sound like you. Not what people tell you what you should sound like.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
I thought Mesa OS 4x12 was top in the industry
It's certainly a well respected cab, used by many people. I love mine and will never part with it, but it may not be for you. Is there any way for you to take your head and demo some other cabs?

If you've got a 5153 and Mesa 412, there's no way you should struggle getting Dying Fetus tones. I'd say you need to spend some time tweaking the amp a bit before you go out and buy a bunch of other gear.

If you're after a boosted tone, I'd just get a few boosts used and shoot them out. I probably went through 5 different boosts before settling on my staples: Macon OD808, MXR M77, and the Savage Drive.

Mike_R

Reaction score
I've got a EVH 100 Stealth and a Mesa Traditional 4x12.

This is just one man's opinion, but if you are on the red channel (especially with that much gain on the amp) you don't want to be boosting it. The Stealth's Red channel with no boost can do a great death metal tone on its own, but if you set the gain too high it sort of smooths out the sound (great for liquid sounding leads, but don't love the chugs). If you are playing with boosts (and I have had a bunch of them, including the 33 - which I don't think is the best match for this amp), do it on the blue channel. My current favorite is the SD 805, but a 6 or 10 band EQ to push the level and mids a bit on the way into the amp, or any of the boosts that lets you cut lows and push mids on the blue channel will get you away from the Metallica sound and towards something more angry.

The 805 has a 3 band active EQ, so I can cut lows, boost the mids and add a bit of treble with a healthy level boost and just a touch of grit. If by death metal you mean Swedish death metal you won't really get there without something like an HM2 on the green channel. I had a Throne Torcher that was great for that sound, but I found that I love the classic albums but not the guitar tone specifically.

AK66

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've got a EVH 100 Stealth and a Mesa Traditional 4x12.

This is just one man's opinion, but if you are on the red channel (especially with that much gain on the amp) you don't want to be boosting it. The Stealth's Red channel with no boost can do a great death metal tone on its own, but if you set the gain too high it sort of smooths out the sound (great for liquid sounding leads, but don't love the chugs). If you are playing with boosts (and I have had a bunch of them, including the 33 - which I don't think is the best match for this amp), do it on the blue channel. My current favorite is the SD 805, but a 6 or 10 band EQ to push the level and mids a bit on the way into the amp, or any of the boosts that lets you cut lows and push mids on the blue channel will get you away from the Metallica sound and towards something more angry.

The 805 has a 3 band active EQ, so I can cut lows, boost the mids and add a bit of treble with a healthy level boost and just a touch of grit. If by death metal you mean Swedish death metal you won't really get there without something like an HM2 on the green channel. I had a Throne Torcher that was great for that sound, but I found that I love the classic albums but not the guitar tone specifically.

I have the 805 and I hate it. sounds like something The Beach boys would use. no disrespect but I think it's a very laid-back non-aggressive very mediocre pedal. Not certain why so many people like it.

Mike_R

Reaction score
I have the 805 and I hate it. sounds like something The Beach boys would use. no disrespect but I think it's a very laid-back non-aggressive very mediocre pedal. Not certain why so many people like it.

Dude, if you are getting Beach Boys tones with a 5153 Stealth and any screamer I don't know what to tell you. I also have no clue what you mean by "aggressive" if you can't get it from the 805 unless you are talking about the color scheme of the pedal, in which case I would suggest black spray paint and then scratching "44" into the case. You can also spill goat blood on it to taste.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
lD_HLChjY6fywwhuuTzArL2gY_qFT3cTsBDU1J_nJsY-CrW_ow1zVWHXEta3M6fJXD_msG4DhpSODwLkLNQOKmT-ycVIY179kTban3zYEVQLXlYa5ZQPPLw71C3B8vO82tHLeGRvggC5zH-U6Cb_f-Iblk4HMFJgv7M

sonoftheoldnorth

Reaction score
If you like the 33 so much... that pedal is actually a copied TC Integrated Preamp with the bass and treble settings hardwired (with the bass all the way off). You could get a different TC clone that still has the bass and treble controls available like the Deadweald Audio Duality DX, or the Peper's pedals Dirty Tree.
I've got the Dirty Tree and a quarter turn of the bass knob restores some bass and thickness while retaining most of the chunkiness for the palm mutes. It has the same amount of overall boost to push the amp.

The Deadweald even has tubescreamer section that can be stacked with the TC side at the same time.
Came to say the Pepers Dirty Tree has the TC circuit and Bass control. Good stuff

BadSeed

Reaction score
OP, we are ragging on you a bit, but we genuinely want to help. Provide specific song examples you find the aggressive guitar tones you are after, and we will try to help you get there.

In my opinion, unless you're in drop asshole, the fortin Grind and 33 don't sound all that great, make things overly thin and unpleasant. The 805 is a decent boost but I *think* I get what you mean, in that it's got very mild output and tone coloring.

The KHDK ghoul gets PLENTY aggressive with the right settings, but again, we need examples of what you're going for to help. The Stealth through a Mesa cab should get downright nasty with no help needed.

EdgeCrusher

Reaction score
Agreed on both of the posts above. Plugging straight into the EVH and a Mesa cab at a decent volume should be tearing you a new asshole; no boost required unless you want that small percentage of additional tonal shaping. How loud are you playing? The EVH sounds fine at very low volume in my experience, but it will open up once you start pushing it a bit.

Maybe you're just not picking hard enough? Technique does go a long way, and the phrase "Tone is in your hands" has a lot of truth to it. It's not everything, but plays a major role. I'd be curious to hear a clip of your rig.

I have the original 50 watt EVH head and I swapped the v1 tube with a lower gain version just to help tame the gain, as I find it has too much stock. I used to always boost it with a TS808, but find I prefer the amp without it nowadays. The Tubescreamer kills some of the bloom and fullness in the low end and adds more compression than I need. I seem to only use the boost with my 8 string now to help tighten up the lowest strings.

Latest posts