Kiesel 8 strings guitar with 3 single coils! Strat style.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a Custom Shop Fender Strat that I really love but I always get frustrated because of the lack of 2 extra strings. I really enjoy the strat sound but I'd like to have 2 extra strings, it s just better for me, I enjoy extended range guitars.

I already have a Skervesen 8 strings with BKP Juggernauts (H-H) for extreme styles, and a Carvin DC8 strings (H-H) for nice rock styles and more than this.
I mainly play rock/jazz/blues music, and I like an 8 strings to play a lot of different styles of music, and add the extra strings for basses, and complex chords. I don't play a lot of djent or metal music mainly...

I could build a Kiesel DC 8 strings (neck through body construction), with the option :
-3 single coils.
-Ash body
-either flamed maple neck with flamed maple fretboard or 5piece black limba neck with 2 maple stripes
- depending on the finish: flamed maple top (they are gorgeous!) or no top.
- Sparkle gold finish, nightburst finish, or purple cali burst finish... not decided yet.

I may approach the strat sound I really like, but I need your advices. I guess the 8th string will be muddy in the neck position while playing my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe tube amp, but it doesn't really matter if in other positions the sound is clear. I wonder if I should take these 3 single coils, I really hope they can produce the sound I'm looking for.

Thank's for your advices!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jarledge

Reaction score
I say send it. I think an 8 string with single coils would probably sound pretty good. The more output a pickup has, the more it trades off in another another area. Single coils may lack output but make up for it in clarity. The broad frequency range makes it harder to maintain that output/clarity ratio. Where I use to prefer higher output on 6 string pickups, I find myself wanting lower output pickups in 8 strings.

I'd love to know how it turns out. I have considered doing an h-s-s 8 string myself. I still may eventually do a Cresent or Letchford h-s-s 8 but I'd have to sell my other dc800 first, and finish paying of my Zeus.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
I really hope it's worth it. I can't allow myself to try and sell it directly after, but I can't find anyone that have this specific configuration...

AuroraTide

Reaction score
I've got an 8 string strat with single coils and love it. 5 years on and it's still my #1.

Havent really had any output or clarity issues either

Carl Kolchak

Last of the famous international playboys
Reaction score
I have a Kiesel w/ a 5 position switch, and actually like position 2 (coil tapped) better than position 1 (humbucker). Definitely sounds clearer, but not overtly single coily.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Hello Carl, I have a DC8 strings H-H, but I'm searching for guys who have 8 strings with single coils.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yup! Only pics I have at the moment.

Black Limba Body, Wenge Ebony neck,

You bastard! Like a fool, I didn't get in on those when I should have. Later I figured I'd see one pop up for sale, but no one has listed one in years. Such a cool instrument. After I saw your original post I DM'd Tom on FB and asked if he'd be up for building one soon. It's either that or a Kiesel SSS, and I'd much rather give Tom my money.

Vehuel

Reach the Light
Reaction score
Nice! Please tell us more about it! :)

Any clips somewhere or anything we can hear at?

Thank's!

Mattykoda

Reaction score
Off topic but I regret selling my ss8 over any guitar. I haven’t had a 8 since but have been waiting for the right one to pull the trigger on. Hopefully it will be a oxc.

AuroraTide

Reaction score
You bastard! Like a fool, I didn't get in on those when I should have. Later I figured I'd see one pop up for sale, but no one has listed one in years. Such a cool instrument. After I saw your original post I DM'd Tom on FB and asked if he'd be up for building one soon. It's either that or a Kiesel SSS, and I'd much rather give Tom my money.

Go with Tom! The whole process was so easy with Tom. Lots of pics, lots of updates.
I'll get another SS8 one day.
Instrumental Pickups were great to deal with too.