KSR Ceres - 3 Channel Preamp Pedal

• Thread starter protest
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

0rimus

Reaction score
Guess I'm the weird junkie uncle of the group...

Guitar->Ceres->Cheapo IR pedal I bought off eBay with an unknown cabsim emulation (lol)->
Roland BA330

I'm a weird multi-instrumentalist who likes to busk haunted locale, so a battery powered mini stack that can run vocals, bass, keyboard, drums, everything etc etc off AA batteries is pretty dope.

Sound surprisingly good sans-Ceres, currently using various distortion pedals as preamps *shrug*

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dewberry

Reaction score
Guitar > Midnight Amplification Holy Mountain od > CERES > ISP Decimator > Tonal Recall analog delay> Mercury 7 > Torpedo Cab M > direct to PA for live or headphone for practice.

Living in a small apartment because of work location. I was having hard time using my amp so I sold it and will go the direct route.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I was actually also thinking about making a tiny rig that can just be carry and go.

ST300 > Donner noise killer > Donner compressor > OD/Clean Boost > Ceres > Chorus or Delay > Mooer Radar

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
I was actually also thinking about making a tiny rig that can just be carry and go.

ST300 > Donner noise killer > Donner compressor > OD/Clean Boost > Ceres > Chorus or Delay > Mooer Radar

Carry and go is such a nice change of pace compared to lugging heavier equipment. Don't get me wrong, I loved my tube amps when I had them but there comes a point when the size and weight exceed the tone (for a show anyway). The last shows I played before my current setup I used a Verellen Skyhammer, Verellen custom ported 2x12 and pedalboard. Awesome but HEAVY. Now it's just the pedalboard with the Powerstage 170 mounted on it (and Kartakou Beastbox preamp currrently) with a G-Flex 2x12. Much lighter overall and it sounded awesome at my last show.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Carry and go is such a nice change of pace compared to lugging heavier equipment. Don't get me wrong, I loved my tube amps when I had them but there comes a point when the size and weight exceed the tone (for a show anyway). The last shows I played before my current setup I used a Verellen Skyhammer, Verellen custom ported 2x12 and pedalboard. Awesome but HEAVY. Now it's just the pedalboard with the Powerstage 170 mounted on it (and Kartakou Beastbox preamp currrently) with a G-Flex 2x12. Much lighter overall and it sounded awesome at my last show.

Oh yeah, I got a Helix and it's nice. But, it's fucking huge. Hefty sumbitch. :lol:

Get one of those micro pedalboards, the Ceres, and a bunch of micro pedals and you're gucci.

A tuner, (optional) OD, (optional) compressor, Ceres, delay, (optional) chorus, mini IR loader. :agreed:

Korneo

Reaction score
Now it's just the pedalboard with the Powerstage 170 mounted on it

How does this poweramp "feel" compare to a tube one ? Any regrets soundwise ?

I have a plan to made a pedalboard with this :
- Boss TU-3WZ
- OD (Mesa Grid Slammer or something else)
- KSR Ceres
- Fortin Zuul
- Delay (TC Flashback or the new Seymour Duncan Dark Matter)
- Split into a power amp on top of the cab(SD Powerstage or full tube) and a Two Notes Cab M to go to the FOH on the pedalboard
- Marshall MF 400 (K100 + Mesa V30)

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
How does this poweramp "feel" compare to a tube one ? Any regrets soundwise ?

I’m actually surprised at how good of a feel it has. It does requires a quality preamp and good volume since Class D seems to sound better with the volume turned up but I don’t have any regrets. It still feels like I’m playing a tube amp but the cool thing is if I want to completely change the sound I just need to use a different preamp pedal.

Korneo

Reaction score
Thank you for this review !
The weight and EQ of this poweramp made me think a lot about it !

0rimus

Reaction score
Update: So I got impatient and sent an email asking if I could pay off the balance now rather than wait for it to be ready to ship...

The Good News: The answer was yes and I got the invoice and paid it so it's all paid off now. Yay!

The Better News: With their new shipping options, shipping was only $10. Which isn't bad at all from Canadia to Arizona. I was budgeting around $30 so that was nice. Of course, I can't make assurances it'll be the same for everyone.

The Best News: Kyle said according to the queue that mine might go out this week! WOOOO! If not probably next week, but that's still badass.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
Update: So I got impatient and sent an email asking if I could pay off the balance now rather than wait for it to be ready to ship...

The Good News: The answer was yes and I got the invoice and paid it so it's all paid off now. Yay!

The Better News: With their new shipping options, shipping was only $10. Which isn't bad at all from Canadia to Arizona. I was budgeting around $30 so that was nice. Of course, I can't make assurances it'll be the same for everyone.

The Best News: Kyle said according to the queue that mine might go out this week! WOOOO! If not probably next week, but that's still badass.

That's awesome news. KSR is in Ohio so I imagine most domestic shipments will be around $10 or so. Do you know where in the queue you are/were?

Last edited:

0rimus

Reaction score
Why did I think they were based in Canada? Fuckin drugs man

My order number is 9259 placed January 25th

protest

Reaction score
I know no one here has gotten one yet bu there's a vid up on the KSR facebook group from one of the first people to get theirs, so they are actually shipping.

johnnydeformed

Reaction score
Why did I think they were based in Canada? Fuckin drugs man

My order number is 9259 placed January 25th

I'm order 9365, placed January 27th. It's probably not exactly sequential because there were only 100 units and there are probably amp orders in there too but damn, it looks like I have a bit of a wait yet.

I know no one here has gotten one yet bu there's a vid up on the KSR facebook group from one of the first people to get theirs, so they are actually shipping.

How does it sound in the video? I don't have Facebook and thus cannot watch it. I also wonder how many they are able ship a week?

I'm actually surprised there hasn't been one on Reverb yet. Lately, it seems people buy new limited release pedals, play them for an hour (if that) and then place them on Reverb for the same or more money than they purchased them for.

rokket2005

Reaction score
I got my invoice from Kyle this morning saying mine was ready to ship today. I was order 9235 for reference.
Fortin is in Ontario somewhere out in the boonies I think.

jjcor

Reaction score
I got mine last thursday and run it like this Guitar>Fortin Zuul>Fortin Grind>Interface/DAW>Torpedo WOS. Its sounds amazing. So far Im liking the Gemini setting with the tight mode on. And the other I like as well is the Colossus mode with Thick on. It really does compare to my actual Colossus that I run with a torpedo live to my computer. I bought this though so I could have a desktop pedalboard setup. And just a tip be sure to have the "power amp mode" on in the WOS and I also found the "exciter Mode" in WOS to really thicken up the tone as well. Also forgot to mention I use ownhammer ir's and that makes life so much easier.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
For some reason I thought that too. :lol: Isn't Fortin based in Toronto or in Cali? Can't remember.

Fortin is in Canuckistan, but amps ship from where they're built in Michigan and pedals ship from wherever that builder is in maybe VA? NC? I forget.

Kyle's shop is in Ohio and is awesome, he posts videos and whatnot of stuff getting built all the time :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Fortin is in Canuckistan, but amps ship from where they're built in Michigan and pedals ship from wherever that builder is in maybe VA? NC? I forget.

Kyle's shop is in Ohio and is awesome, he posts videos and whatnot of stuff getting built all the time :lol:

Yeah I was thinking Fortin was either from Canada, or moved to Cali once things got really big for him. Dunno why.

Wasn't there another builder, too?