KSR Orion 45w lunchbox amp

• Thread starter technomancer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a super cool photo. I know that's not the intent, but I love it.
It really is, which takes me to:

@ExMachina please experiment with the LEDs. I see a lot of switches on the back but nobody got deeper into it. I want to know if there are more colors available than those shown so far (like that purple in the photos, or the yellow on the pedals).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

protest

Reaction score
It really is, which takes me to:

@ExMachina please experiment with the LEDs. I see a lot of switches on the back but nobody got deeper into it. I want to know if there are more colors available than those shown so far (like that purple in the photos, or the yellow on the pedals).

Those are the LED dip switches on the back, so you can get a decent amount of colors. The switches are red, green, and blue which you can also mix with the white to get like cyan and pink.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Those are the LED dip switches on the back, so you can get a decent amount of colors. The switches are red, green, and blue which you can also mix with the white to get like cyan and pink.

That's what I thought, but I haven't seen anyone show them in the Orion. And seeing is believing!

Last edited:

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
. I am a little frightened about the repair bill if anything goes wrong

That's what I thought, but I haven't seen anyone show them in the Orion. And seeing is believing!
Yea so there's RGB for each channel with all up being no light so you get 7 unique colors.

White, Blue, Red, Green, Cyan, Pink, Yellow

I just leave them all on red, because I'm a psycho.

Musiscience

Reaction score
Why are both available demos RUNNING LOW TO NO NFB! Don't be afraid of a little negative feedback.

I guess it's not surprising given how into rectifiers Fluff is, but still...

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just the way he dialed it in but it sounds kinda smeary in the low end and almost like he’s got a fuzz pedal going…not diggin this demo
The amp as a shit load of low mids (250 hz range), it gives it a lot of that growl and modern metal type flavor, but remains pretty clear to my ear in person. That could also be because he ran the NFB at minimum.

I definitely like having an EQ in the loop, and sometimes putting just a slight low shelf attenuation to cut below 300 hz ish.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Maybe it’s just the way he dialed it in but it sounds kinda smeary in the low end and almost like he’s got a fuzz pedal going…not diggin this demo
Yeah, I felt the same way. I reeeeaaallllly want to like this thing, because I’d love a an amp with so many controls, made in USA (not cuz of quality, I just think it’s cool you could pop in to the shop where they’re made), and high gain. But, honestly, the JEL 20 demo Ben Eller did has me gassing for one of those now. What I SHOULD do is stop buying fucking amps, since I can rarely play through them. I’ m basically a law degree away from being a blooz lawyer, for Christ’s sake.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh no its here and it sounds exactly how I expected.

- Description: Wrong (amp is not fully capable UNLESS you buy KSR gizmo, so not MIDI capable at all :lol:)
- Content: No clean channel demo. OD demo: 0 0 0 0 0 0 11 0 0 0 11 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
- Not touching the single most important feature of the amp (the NFB knob).

Great work Fluff, as always! :rofl:

Last edited:

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Damn that demos doing the opposite of hype here lmao. Scaring people off to the competition
For real, KSR seriously needs some better people doing demos. The entire reason I've yet to buy one of their amps is cause there's no good demos out there and I'm not gambling $2k+ on one of their amps just to try one out. Even the good demos are hard to believe because there's so many bad ones that the good ones seem like the outliers. Put these things in the hands of some more capable people, who can give us some good (more consistent) demos, for God's sakes 😭

protest

Reaction score
For real, KSR seriously needs some better people doing demos. The entire reason I've yet to buy one of their amps is cause there's no good demos out there and I'm not gambling $2k+ on one of their amps just to try one out. Even the good demos are hard to believe because there's so many bad ones that the good ones seem like the outliers. Put these things in the hands of some more capable people, who can give us some good (more consistent) demos, for God's sakes 😭

Would you rather see them get into a store like Sweetwater, where you could try them out with a return policy?

I feel like that's a better route than having someone who makes great sounding demos, but I might be in the minority on that.