KxK 7DC Semihollow Build (setup pics added)

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This build has shifted a couple of times. It was originally going to be a six string and a different model, but is coming together now :lol:

7DC semihollow, palisander (Madagascar rosewood) neck through, Brazilian rosewood fretboard and headstock cap, MOP offset blocks and KxK logo, flame maple top, mahogany wings. Benedetto B7 pickups.

image-3_zpsa466d062.jpeg

This was originally going to have a one piece koa top, but unfortunately this came up in the koa while carving.

3388a878-e29e-4a00-af79-bbae299fefce_zpsebd79e66.jpg

Since neither Rob or I wanted to have a huge knot in the top of the guitar, we switched over to a piece of maple I already had at the shop for the shop. We're still talking about finish, but it will likely either end up Sandstorm Dragons Breath or Tungsten metallic with natural back and sides depending on how the top looks when it's ready for finish.

Oh and almost forgot, hybrid hardware

hippyhippy_zps1577cae5.jpg

f6fbcaf3-3fca-4e97-bc48-296cb915c0ba_zps7c392ad6.jpg

Almost ready for paint

image-5_zpsa4c27f2e.jpeg
image-7_zps16f1fc46.jpeg

Couple wet shots after some subtle grain enhancement

image-22_zpsdac79529.jpeg
image-23_zpsb14316ca.jpeg

Rob was ready to sand it back and make some changes, but I told him to leave it the way it is as I like how it came out :yesway: He also said it's looking much redder in the pics that it is in person. Can't wait to see what it looks like in person :D

image-32_zps051c1e8f.jpeg

image-30_zpsb0cf5b65.jpeg

image-31_zps2f3c575f.jpeg

Getting setup done... soon :mrburns:

7DC030d_zpsef100cc6.jpg

7DC030e_zps6f27ecbc.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Nice! I thought maybe the semihollow aspect of my scale 8 was holding up the show, but it looks like Rob is pretty comfortable with those. I may have to kill you if you get yourse before mine, though. :lol:

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Truly a shame that the Koa had a knot under the surface, but glad both you and Rob decided to scrap it and go with maple once you found it. Looks like you picked a sweet piece of maple, can't wait to see it with some finish on it! :D The hybrid hardware looks hot on the Sperzels! \m/

Jlang

I am Megatron
Reaction score
This is gonna be sooooo awesome! I think the sandstorm DB would make this thing glow.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome man! this makes me excited for my 7DC semi! love the specs and that neck will be insane

Ah cool, glad to hear you're getting one. What are your specs?

Nice! I thought maybe the semihollow aspect of my scale 8 was holding up the show, but it looks like Rob is pretty comfortable with those. I may have to kill you if you get yourse before mine, though. :lol:

This order is from before the 8 string runs, so simmer down there :lol:

Truly a shame that the Koa had a knot under the surface, but glad both you and Rob decided to scrap it and go with maple once you found it. Looks like you picked a sweet piece of maple, can't wait to see it with some finish on it! :D The hybrid hardware looks hot on the Sperzels! \m/

Yeah that was not a happy moment... fortunately Rob is a class act and didn't just build it anyways and then offer me a slight discount or claim it added character. Still amazed there are guys that do that crap.

The maple is something I had at the shop for another build. It was going to have another top inlaid into it, so I just picked something that should give a nice look as basically binding. The figure is definitely nicer in the piece than I thought it would be.

I'm very happy with how the hardware is came out. The gold lock wheels on the Sperzels were something Rob suggested that I hadn't thought about when I was spec'ing the hardware.

This is gonna be sooooo awesome! I think the sandstorm DB would make this thing glow.

Yeah we were talking about doing a grain enhance and seeing what it looks like and going from there. If the figure looks good it will likely be Sandstorm DB, if not it will probably get a solid Tungsten top. I think either one should be killer :)

oh another beautiful KxK, nice!

Wow. Fantastic looking guitar. Soundclips when it's completed please!

I'll see what I can do. I'm curious to see how the Benedetto pickups work out in this guitar.

:agreed: :lol:

Churchie777

Reaction score
mine was a instock he was gonna do and gave a heads up if i wanted it he'll also chuck a piezo in it (been talking for a while for that kinda build) so i got to pick from 2 tops (chose flame/curly maple), pick the board which i matched the bobbins (birdseye maple) he already had black limba neck and wings planned, just gotta decide stain

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
mine was a instock he was gonna do and gave a heads up if i wanted it he'll also chuck a piezo in it (been talking for a while for that kinda build) so i got to pick from 2 tops (chose flame/curly maple), pick the board which i matched the bobbins (birdseye maple) he already had black limba neck and wings planned, just gotta decide stain

That should be awesome :yesway:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Do you have any samples of the colors you're considering? Post 'em if you do. I'd like to see those.

thrsher

\m/-_-\m/
Reaction score
i hope one day i can order a semi hollow dc 7 baritone and by hope i mean when KxK is taking orders, i will order one

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do you have any samples of the colors you're considering? Post 'em if you do. I'd like to see those.

Tungsten Grey
the darker color... it's a bitch to photograph, my Mustang is the same color and it varies depending on lighting from a silver to a metallic grey and sometimes has purple highlights

photophp_zpsa8299d6a.jpeg

Sandstorm
the darker bottom color would be the upper part of the Dragon's Breath with the center / bottom in the more golden color around the pickups

173017-4_zps97b75516.jpg

So basically if the top takes stain well etc etc it will be sandstorm, otherwise a silvertop

JSanta

Reaction score
I think you're really going to dig those Bendetto pickups in this guitar. Tune that low string down to A and you're going to have some really authentic jazz tones. Looking forward to seeing it done.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man im loving the look of that neck

Yeah the piece of wood looked awesome, can't wait to see it once it's been oiled :agreed:

I think you're really going to dig those Bendetto pickups in this guitar. Tune that low string down to A and you're going to have some really authentic jazz tones. Looking forward to seeing it done.

I'm looking forward to trying them out. My suspicion at this point is that the neck will probably stay and the bridge will get swapped for something else. We'll see when it gets here :)