What exactly do you expect for $1500?

Phlegethon

Reaction score
For ~1500? I'd expect:

No finish flaws. You're not getting a 200 dollar amazon 'full size guitar'. Whoever makes it better be making sure it looks good.
No electronics flaws. Pickups shouldn't be noisy relative to their type (hum/single), pots can't be scratchy, and no signs of bad soldering/grounding.
No need to do any setup actions outside of: string change, small truss rod adjustments, and personal setup choices not covered by a factory once over.
No construction flaws. Not expecting the absolute pinnacle in fretwork, but it should be close. Shouldn't be needing to shim a bolt on neck ... and so on.

What I wouldn't expect? Going the extra mile, like foam in the trem cavity to stop springs ringing under high gain. I am getting something built in a factory after all. Perfect example of a guitar that hit all these points is my RG550PN. So it's doable, and in a first world country too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
At 1500 new nowadays I expect fo feel ripped off. Inflation on guitars has been stupid since covid. So, yeah, 1500€ new today, guess I just pass on guitar buys nowadays. I mostly have all I want to be fair, as I did sell a few things to profit from the covid ebay craze but I also kept a lot.
This is the right answer, honestly. Combine these two factors:
- "Low end" guitars have become ridiculously good
- "High end" guitars have become ridiculously expensive

So for $1500 what you get is a price gap of $1000 where you're basically paying for fancy specs. Usually even made in the same factory as the $600 guitar.

TL/DR: Buy a used [guitar]

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score

So for $1500 what you get is a price gap of $1000 where you're basically paying for fancy specs. Usually even made in the same factory as the $600 guitar.

Yeap. This is my exact same feeling. Jackson doesn't make anything between the JS series and the Japanese models that is worth paying more than a JS series for. And the Japanese models are so expensive now I don't bother looking anymore.

I'll keep cruising the used places for old Ibanez RGs that I wish they still made.

Caleb

Jiu Jitsu Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is probably the best take I have seen. My RG470 Korean made played as well as my RG7PCMLTD Indo made that played as well as 2 of my 3 UVs, only being edged out slightly by the one UV. My Boden Prog 7 is on par with my best UV, and it's made in the same Indo factory that Jem Jrs are made!