Labella Crazy 8s?

• Thread starter RockerAlex
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
So how good is this set really? The gauges seem very odd to me, it seems like some mad mixture of both 9s and 10s.

For those who don't know it's:
009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .074

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I think I'd play that set... It's fairly close to the sets they're putting on the 8s at Rondo.

pathos45

Reaction score
its the exact gauges i use to tune to F, Bb, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb but i usually mix and match a set together. I should try one of these sets out soon lol.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Why do ppl overthink the tension numbers so much? Just try the strings... If they feel good use them. Stop being all mathematically OCD about the fucking numbers matching up the way you want them to.

I've tried several sets of the same gauge string and some still feel different from others. I imagine the same could be the case here. But you don't know until someone tries them... :shrug:

Let's also not neglect that fact that multiscale guitars DO exist and a lot of 8 string players seem to prefer them.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
For a non multiscale 8 string this set makes absolutely no sense, imo, and I posted here to see if anybody had tried them.

And for 8s tension really, really does matter if you don't want buzz everywhere.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I don't own an 8 or anything... :rolleyes:

I mentioned the set's likeness to the sets that are being put on the Rondo 8 strings. I happen to HAVE an Intrepid 828 Dual. Guess what... It sports the string set I mentioned being similar to this one.

I never measured the tension, but they feel just fine to me. This is why I think you're overthinking shit.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
I've had constant headaches with a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 (26.5 inch scale) because the scale is just too short and there isn't tensions out there that will allow you to have low action and no buzz ... that's why I'm so concerned about tensions.

Needless to say, that piece of shit is going back to the shop and I'm picking up a 28 inch scale Agile of some description ... which I will also will be wanting low action and no buzz on, so I need to know what set to be looking at.

pathos45

Reaction score
on my agile intrepid 828 i use that exact set and it does standard, down half a step, the fellsilent/tesseract/monuments tuning, and even drop e and have had no problems other than the drop e was a little bit too loose for my liking but it was bareable. i tried stringing my agile with 10 gauge and i just did not like it. But when it comes to strings its all prefrence man, i highly suggest a 74 though on the f# its the perfect tension.

ra1der2

Reaction score
So how good is this set really? The gauges seem very odd to me, it seems like some mad mixture of both 9s and 10s.

For those who don't know it's:
009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .074

The labella string set is geared more towards 28.625" scale IMO.

If you want to talk about odd string sets lets take a look at the decimator 8s that shipped on your guitar lol those are the most unbalanced set I've ever seen im my life.

High E.010/B.013/G.017/D.030/A.042/E.052/B.064/F#.074 Low

The thing that pisses me off is that ernie ball actually listened to schecter and made their own shitty balanced set of 8's as a result so I am still buying singles and custom building my sets. :wallbash:

ps - if anyone from ernie ball is lurking this thread for christ sakes make two usefull 8 string sets for us and ditch the one schecter suggested.

1st set) the super slinky 7 string set + a .074
2nd set) the regular slinky 7 string set + a .074

RockerAlex

Reaction score
The labella string set is geared more towards 28.625" scale IMO.

If you want to talk about odd string sets lets take a look at the decimator 8s that shipped on your guitar lol those are the most unbalanced set I've ever seen im my life.

High E.010/B.013/G.017/D.030/A.042/E.052/B.064/F#.074 Low

The thing that pisses me off is that ernie ball actually listened to schecter and made their own shitty balanced set of 8's as a result so I am still buying singles and custom building my sets. :wallbash:

I have to agree, they were changed as soon as I got them.

Getting rid of this thing anyway, I do not recommend Schecter 8 string to anybody.

Cheesebuiscut

Loves his Q-tuners
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to make any sense at all ... how is that logical tension?

How ISN'T that logical tension? Did you do the math? Its like 14-15.6lbs of tension progressing from high to low on a 27" scale in standard.

Makes perfect sense...

Its a balanced set... la bella had Mtech on this very forum ask us what we wanted out of string sets for ERG's and then made them accordingly... So these make a ton of sense as they were made by ss.org polls.

RockerAlex

Reaction score
How ISN'T that logical tension? Did you do the math? Its like 14-15.6lbs of tension progressing from high to low on a 27" scale in standard.

Makes perfect sense...

Its a balanced set... la bella had Mtech on this very forum ask us what we wanted out of string sets for ERG's and then made them accordingly... So these make a ton of sense as they were made by ss.org polls.

Damn man I didn't know that, that's very cool ... I assume it's just as good on a 28.625" scale neck as well? Which scale do you guys recommend I go for?

Too bad they have no UK distributors, gonna have to be waiting weeks on strings. :/

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I string my 8 string with .012-.074 for the first 7 strings and then put an ernie ball .090 for the low F#, I've been using them for a bit under a year now. I like the strings.

vansinn

Reaction score

Makes perfect sense...

I fully agree. Having done several tension calculations with the online tool, just looking at the gauges makes those look like nicely balanced for longer scales.

Nice seeing La Bella and Mtech listening to customers :agreed:

Perplexed-Perception

Reaction score
its the exact gauges i use to tune to F, Bb, F, Bb, Eb, F, Bb, Eb but i usually mix and match a set together. I should try one of these sets out soon lol.
hah i use the same tuning:yesway: but im going to a 8gauge set with a 52 for the seventh string and then a 74 and even going to try an 80 just for experimental sake for the eighth string:agreed:

syndrone

You Must Listen To SYNDRONE
Reaction score
I've had constant headaches with a Schecter Hellraiser C-8 (26.5 inch scale) because the scale is just too short and there isn't tensions out there that will allow you to have low action and no buzz ... that's why I'm so concerned about tensions.

Needless to say, that piece of shit is going back to the shop and I'm picking up a 28 inch scale Agile of some description ... which I will also will be wanting low action and no buzz on, so I need to know what set to be looking at.

I guess you are looking for a 30" scale : )

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
It's about 1.375" larger than 28.625"

So if 30" is massive then technically so is 28.625" :shrug: