Lace Sensor Hot Gold, Dimarzio DP186 Tone Zone S, Dimarzio Billy Corgan BC-2 DP226

• Thread starter lost_horizon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lost_horizon

Reaction score
As everyone is getting older and addicted to strats for some reason I took it upon myself to test out some noiseless single coil pickups.

I am looking for three single coils to go in my RGX-1203s which is a neck through superstrat with ebony fretboard and three single coils.

Previously I would have gone:
Dimarzio Super Distortion S
Dimarzio Chopper
Dimarzio Cruiser Neck

Now I am throwing the Cruiser neck out and put this BC-2 in!

The Lace Sensor Hot Gold is really quiet, especially as a bridge pickup. Noiseless, slightly louder than traditional Alnico 5s but when you add effects or gain it really opens up. Sounds quiet gnarly for high gain and palm mutes! Very flat frequency response.

For the Tone Zone S I have never liked the Tone Zone (everything on 11) and in this it's almost exactly the same! The bass from this thing is massive and sounds like a full size humbucker although can get quacky in the in between.

The BC-2 has a really raw sound, even though I have a guitar with smooth frets and elixir strings I could hear all my fretting hand noise and it gave it some real guts and a big sound when you dig in. Backing off the volume it cleans up perfectly. I liked the split sound although between it and the Tone Zone S it wasn't hum cancelling so you would need to fiddle with the polarity aswell. My house is really noisy.

Edit+-: Also used this with a small tube combo, the volume difference between the Lace and the Dimarzio's was massive. So keep that in mind if you think these can live together probably not. Heavily processed the difference is much smaller.

Last edited: