Lang Lang &Metallica at Grammy's, I'm curious as to what you guys think/though

• Thread starter MrPepperoniNipples
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
They'll be a lot better once they start rehearsing for the next album, they'll be on fire by the time they hit the studio. I heard some live recordings just after Death Magnetic came out and they were ridiculous.

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
I thought it was pretty good.
shrug.gif

flexkill

Vodka & PentaTonic
Reaction score
Well the tones were poor, sorry AxeFX fans, if that's what it was, but they were.

You can take the best sounding guitar amp and the world but, if the guy turning the knobs has no ear or just has shitty taste, it can and will sound like shit.

My point being this reflects nothing about fractal audios ability to sound great.

EDIT: I do not own an Axe Fx so I am just stating what I believe. I have heard many killer tones from the Fractal units so.....

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Terrible. Embarrassing for all concerned (especially Kirk). It's a thrash metal track (in the last half anyway) - it's meant to be really tight between the guitars, bass and drums, otherwise it just sounds like shit. I don't get how having a tinkly piano in there helps it sound tight. Lang Lang is great, and his part in the intro was really cool. It just doesn't fit with Metallica. At all.

Metallica used to be the greatest metal band in the world, now they're just Spinal Tap with more money.

Genome

Reaction score
The thing is, they're 30 years into their careers now, playing the same songs over and over. I wonder how many times they've played One live? You can't blame them for wanting to spice things up to save boredom. They've made their bajillions of dollars and had all the success they need and don't really have much else to achieve.

So they either keep spinning the wheels, retire, or try something new.

The result... this and Lulu. Yeah, it's not the greatest, but you don't have to listen to it. That's how I see it anyway.

Dethyr

Banned
Reaction score
I dunno... I actually didn't find much wrong with it to be honest apart from the NOOOO before the main solo, that was pretty rough. But overall it was reasonable.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
"played"

I guarantee you the entirety of the audio was prerecorded. Par for the course for these things. I saw a few seconds of the performance and wasn't particularly impressed by it. Show up, collect money/attention, exit stage.

Totally untrue - Metallica has played the grammys a few times, always played live. Sure other artists probably prerecord, but any self respecting band (read: not pop artists) is not gonna go for play along tracks.

As for the "collect money" thing, it would be much easier for them to just play "Enter Sandman" so obviously they put some more effort into this than they had to.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Anytime Kirk played, the guitar was out of tune, horribly. It sounded like some bad cover guitarist. They just seem very uninspired and catatonic in their entire approach. I don't know. I always try to watch their performances with a bit more forgiveness than I would like, but it's becoming more difficult each time.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
I thought some of the piano sounded cool. Then those other guys had to start playing.

srsly, it's a 25yr old song, if you want to do something like this, then write something specific for it...
or at the very least play a good rendition of the song you choose. Sloppy, key issues, poor vocals, just lame

makes me feel sad and old, childhood heroes gone waaaaaaay down hill

Terrible.

Metallica used to be the greatest metal band in the world, now they're just Spinal Tap with more money.

The only thing Spinal Tap ever was was funny, and I don't think they ever stopped being that. You could list
everything Metallica ever was in the 80s and early 90s and compare the list to present day, and I don't think
you'll find many similarities, especially not redeeming ones.

UnattendedGolfcart

SSO's Fat Mac
Reaction score
I watched the Grammys with my friends and we were all having a great time watching it, even if we didn't like what we heard. I thought the concept was cool, the piano added a nice depth to One that I think the song actually needed. The solos were cool in a chaotic way, but I was definitely more interested in the piano more than Kirk. It wasn't perfect by any means, but I didn't hate it like so many people seemed to do. Metallica was just a fun little spot in my night, I didn't think any farther into their performance because I thought it'd be unnecessary.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
watched it twice

Meeeeeeh. Not really impressed. Guitar is pretty cool though.'

Edit: I totally meant to say piano but my fingers did the thing

Carvinkook

Reaction score
James is one of my all-time heroes, I'm forty and have been on the rise the whole time as a fan... But his voice is making it really difficult to listen nowadays(especially live). I didn't care for the performance much, I was hoping for something cool and unique and found neither. I hope they had fun atleast!

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
I really enjoyed a lot of what Lang Lang was doing in the verses and first two solos. I thought that was fantastic. But the bridge leading up to the breakdown ("Darkness, imprisoning me... etc.) through the end, Lang Lang just seemed to overdo it. It seemed like from that point, his piano playing was no longer tied to the song itself, but that he just wanted to outshred Kirk.

That said, Kirk's performance was awful. What the hell?

Hetfield looked like he was having the time of his life during Kirk's last solo though, so I'm happy. As long as they're enjoying what they're doing, I don't mind. I don't have to listen to it if it sucks, so I'm just gonna let them enjoy what they're doing.

Leveebreaks

Dooooooooom
Reaction score
Well, Metallica will always do what the hell they want, and will always take risks with their catalogue. Taking an overview of the whole show, judging by the state of music nowadays, it still looks like the music world needs Metallica for better or for worse.

And this was worse, but let's face it, they couldn't care less what anyone thinks so props for that. I'm glad they are still trying new stuff with old songs, and to do it at the Grammys is just brazen. I do think Kirk would benefit from 80H's guitar lessons though.