Late NGD: Jackson SL4X Bubblegum Pink

• Thread starter You
  • Start date
  • Tags
    jack
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

You

þ
Reaction score
First and foremost, pics:
5C8D7507-B44E-47BC-8F3E-8A2AC092EC94.jpeg
FA52C464-A53D-4DAB-A9A9-544B571862D1.jpeg 4E85454E-0DEE-4DE0-B508-45C8F90651D5.jpeg
I purchased this guitar from my local music store for about $600 brand new, and thus far I’m very impressed by how well it plays in my hands. The fretwork is fantastic on this guitar and the neck feels excellent to play on and the Floyd Rose Special holds its tuning very well. The pickups also sound pretty decent through my Orange Crush 35. The only real issue I have is that when a guitar tech retuned it to E Flat Standard, it caused this weird problem where the first fret of the low E string had fret buzz, yet no other place in the fretboard had that problem. Other than that however, the guitar itself is very good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

McBrain

Reaction score
The only real issue I have is that when a guitar tech retuned it to E Flat Standard, it caused this weird problem where the first fret of the low E string had fret buzz, yet no other place in the fretboard had that problem. Other than that however, the guitar itself is very good.

A 1/8 counterclockwise turn on the trussrod will probably fix that.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
As we all know here, I'm a sucker for a nice Jackson. These things are silly and fun. Glad to hear you found the right guitar for you (from your thread looking for trem-equipped guitars).

If you ever have issues with the Floyd Special (stripped saddles, etc) the nice thing is that the higher quality original Floyd Rose parts will fit in their place. The base plate is also already hardened steel, unlike all the licensed Floyd Roses that used to be common in this price range.

HNGD!

Reactions: You

xzacx

Reaction score
I've been so tempted to grab one of these ever since they were first announced. I have an extra black OFR laying around too I could swap in. Can you tell just by looking if EMG singles would fit in without having to modify any? That's my plan if I were to get one.

You

þ
Reaction score
A 1/8 counterclockwise turn on the trussrod will probably fix that.
I should've also clarified that it only happened on the E string alone, and that the other strings seem to be completely fine. However, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

You

þ
Reaction score
I've been so tempted to grab one of these ever since they were first announced. I have an extra black OFR laying around too I could swap in. Can you tell just by looking if EMG singles would fit in without having to modify any? That's my plan if I were to get one.
I would say that the pickups themselves would probably fit nicely into the guitar, but you'd have to add a place for a battery compartment, most likely in the control cavity.

You

þ
Reaction score
I would say that the pickups themselves would probably fit nicely into the guitar, but you'd have to add a place for a battery compartment, most likely in the control cavity.

BlackSG91

Loves Black Guitars & Meng Mengs
Reaction score
Pink is not really my colour but the guitar looks very cool and I like the shape of the pick guard. Congrats on your purchase.

;>)/

xzacx

Reaction score

Appreciate the info - if you happen to have a chance at some point, could you check out the cavity and see if you think a battery would fit? No rush or obligation!

You

þ
Reaction score
Could also try going a quarter turn higher on the trem post next to the low E. Shouldn't bother the action too much on your higher strings.
Question: How will it effect the trem itself if I do that and do a divebomb

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score

It shouldn't change trem function at all after turning the post a touch, in regards to divebombing. All that is, is a string height adjustment.

mastapimp

Reaction score

For such a minor adjustment it won't be noticeable at all. You're raising the string height by a fraction of a thread length, just enough to stop the buzzing.

McBrain

Reaction score
I should've also clarified that it only happened on the E string alone, and that the other strings seem to be completely fine. However, I'll definitely keep that in mind.

You actually did, but a change in neck relief will not necessarily cause all the strings to buzz. It depends on how close the individual strings were to the frets before the change.

Could also try going a quarter turn higher on the trem post next to the low E. Shouldn't bother the action too much on your higher strings.

Agreed. If the guitar didn't have the problem before and all the tech did was to tune it down from E to Eb-standard and re-balance the bridge, then it will most likely be an easy fix by adjusting the truss-rod or string height, since the neck will move as a result of the lower tension and the strings will vibrate differently in a lower tuning - assuming that he didn't change the string gauge.

If the tech also adjusted the intonation and the guitar, for some reason, had a really bad setup before, then this could also change how the strings vibrate and cause buzz. If he did not adjust the intonation, then I would check if it's at least in the ballpark. If not, then fix that first and see what happens. If you adjust the neck or action afterwards, then check/fine-tune the intonation again as the last thing, since it will be affected by changes to neck relief and action.

Also ... did the tech put on a fresh set of strings? If not, then do that before trying anything else. Depending on how hard you, the tech, the factory or the store tightened down the clamps on the locking nut, the strings could have some damage in that area. Not a problem until you lower the tuning - now the damaged area is in the vibrating part of the string.

Last edited:

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Looks super nice - how is the QC on this; did you get to play a few?