Lemon Oil?

• Thread starter Shooter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shooter

Drinkin' a Pizza
Reaction score
I just got me some of that Old English Lemon Oil (I did a search on here and that's what I came across). My K-7 is in desperate need of it... really desparate. There's a lot of nasty build-up around the actual fretwire that I wanted to clean up, and I was just wondering if this stuff was safe to use on metal. So basically what I'm asking: Is it cool to go ahead and just use the Oil on the entire fretboard, or should I tape off the fretwire and just use it specifically on the wood? Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score
Its OK to get it on the frets. I use the Jim Dunlop Lemon Oil and I have never had a problem when i got some on the frets. And I have been using the stuff for a long time now,

yevetz

I am a COCK!!!!!!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
I just got me some of that Old English Lemon Oil (I did a search on here and that's what I came across). My K-7 is in desperate need of it... really desparate. There's a lot of nasty build-up around the actual fretwire that I wanted to clean up, and I was just wondering if this stuff was safe to use on metal. So basically what I'm asking: Is it cool to go ahead and just use the Oil on the entire fretboard, or should I tape off the fretwire and just use it specifically on the wood? Thanks!

It's safe for metal. But "Old English Lemon Oil" :scratch:....I use Dunlop lemon oil

Shooter

Drinkin' a Pizza
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys! Now my fretboard won't look like the Sahara Desert...

I saw that someone on here used the "Old English" brand, but I don't remember who... it's meant to be furniture polish, but it's still lemon oil, and a LOT cheaper than the Dunlop stuff... same price for 16oz vs. 4oz.

FortePenance

Reaction score
the Old English works fine. TBH, I prefer bore oil, seems to last longer but lemony goodness is always appreciated.

heffergm

Reaction score
I prefer bore oil as well, mainly because it doesn't create that slight stickiness that lemon oil leaves. Bore oil feels more like you applied GHS Fast Fret or something along those lines.

ukfswmart

Far too opinionated
Reaction score
I've pretty much always used Gibson's 'Luthier's Choice' fretboard conditioner. Great stuff, and I've never had any problems with it

heffergm

Reaction score

Axel

Reaction score
I was recommended to use Orange Oil on my guitar by a fine luthier. Howard Feed n Wax is what I use. :)

brother mack

Not good at guitar
Reaction score
Dunlop Lemon oil FTW. I usually clean the fretboard with the Dunlop 01, then condition it with the Dunlop 02 then the Lemon oil. Awesome stuff.

That and GHS Fast Fret after the strings are on (then before and after everytime you play it) and you have yourself a guitar beauty regime fit for a king! Your fretboard and strings with thankyou for it :)

Mattmc74

Contributor
Reaction score