Les Paul Recording wiring: ( )

• Thread starter Miek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Some of you might've caught that I've got a beat to hell Les Paul Recording ( http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2399809-post60.html ) and it demands restoration. One of the things I know I have to have a luthier look at as soon as I begin throwing money at it is a big crack on the ass of the guitar. An ass crack, if you will.

What I'm here for, though, is some questions about the electronics. I'm not looking to ask how to wire it (given I haven't even found a wiring diagram for it [and I can't read them anyway]), but I DO want to ask if it's possible to restore the wiring just by looking at how it is arranged, assuming it's relatively intact?

I just hope the wiring is stock and wasn't modified by my pops.

Next, about the pickups. If you're not familiar with them, they're basically a low impedance design intended, along with the EQ system on-board, to plug directly into a PA system. When playing with a traditional guitar amplifier, you're supposed to some kind of impedance adapter plug at the end of your cable, and in the absence of that, the apparently shitty onboard impedance switch.
What I've gathered about the pickups is that in the model I have, the pickups are basically two coils stacked on top of each other. I don't know if they're wired to act like a humbucker or anything.
I'm not quite sure of the method to test if the pickups actually sill work, if they do, great. If, in the extremely unlikely case they don't, does anyone know if it's possible to open them and re-wind them? They seem to be sealed with epoxy or something.

IF I am able to restore it to original functionality (and perhaps improve the supposedly shitty impedance switcher?) I'm also going to need something relatively minor: properly labeled tophat knobs. "volume" and "tone" just aren't as charming as "bass" and "treble". Anyone got a source on that?

Now, if anyone's read through my poorly organized questions, a prize!
Behold! Science!
Les+Paul+Recording2.JPG

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
If the tone selector is designed to change the tone instantly it is just some caps on a switch, likely 1 of which has no caps (bypass), wired in parallel going to ground. Or if wired in series bleeding to ground. That one is easy.

Phase switch just switches hot and cold on a pickup around, another eacy one. Decade control? I have no clue.

I don't know how you would improve the low/high impedance thing, others here are probably much better at that sort of stuff than me.

The bass control, if passive, is just like a tone control, but you are rolling the bass off, by using the capacitor in line with the signal chain, highs get through and go to output, lows do not. Typically they use 1M pots for these now (at least on G&Ls anyway). Nothing too difficult.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RazAUG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Some of you might've caught that I've got a beat to hell Les Paul Recording ( http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/2399809-post60.html ) and it demands restoration. One of the things I know I have to have a luthier look at as soon as I begin throwing money at it is a big crack on the ass of the guitar. An ass crack, if you will.

What I'm here for, though, is some questions about the electronics. I'm not looking to ask how to wire it (given I haven't even found a wiring diagram for it [and I can't read them anyway]), but I DO want to ask if it's possible to restore the wiring just by looking at how it is arranged, assuming it's relatively intact?

I just hope the wiring is stock and wasn't modified by my pops.

Next, about the pickups. If you're not familiar with them, they're basically a low impedance design intended, along with the EQ system on-board, to plug directly into a PA system. When playing with a traditional guitar amplifier, you're supposed to some kind of impedance adapter plug at the end of your cable, and in the absence of that, the apparently shitty onboard impedance switch.
What I've gathered about the pickups is that in the model I have, the pickups are basically two coils stacked on top of each other. I don't know if they're wired to act like a humbucker or anything.
I'm not quite sure of the method to test if the pickups actually sill work, if they do, great. If, in the extremely unlikely case they don't, does anyone know if it's possible to open them and re-wind them? They seem to be sealed with epoxy or something.

IF I am able to restore it to original functionality (and perhaps improve the supposedly shitty impedance switcher?) I'm also going to need something relatively minor: properly labeled tophat knobs. "volume" and "tone" just aren't as charming as "bass" and "treble". Anyone got a source on that?

Now, if anyone's read through my poorly organized questions, a prize!
Behold! Science!
Les+Paul+Recording2.JPG
Hi Miek. Did you ever find a wiring diagram for the LP Recording Guitar you had?

I've recently got one, and now I have it home I'm finding it has one or two "interesting" features - such as a hum through an amp when the output switch is high, the rear pickup is live, and the strings are touched. This does not happen when I use some stupidly cheap amplified headphones.

This this to do with the low resistance setup of the circuit?
Thanks

RazAUG

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi
How is your project going? I just got one in my shop that came from Les Pauls auction last spring. https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.434587586576261.87983.278179168883771&type=1
Any help you can provide woud be appreciated.
Your neighbor,

VP
Hi VP, concerming the LP Recording G ... Did you ever find a wiring diagram, parts, etc? I recently (2022) saw your 2012 post to Meik about his.

I've recently got one ... I'm finding it has "interesting" features, and I'm trying to work out if these are faults or just how it is.
With thanks