Less "Shreddy" looking 8 String?

• Thread starter atracksler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

atracksler

Reaction score
I'm looking to get an 8-string (budget is @1k).

I'm not a shreddy guy......(My 6 strings are a strat and a PRS Vela, if that helps)

Most of the eight strings I see are pretty shreddy looking. It is just not my thing - I'm not into metal, it's cool and al - but not my jam.

I have a hand injury that makes playing fanned fret guitars difficult.

Any suggestions for a non-shreddy 8 string in my budget?

(My 6 strings are a strat and a PRS Vela, if that helps)

atracksler

Reaction score
LP Style isn't me; I don't know why.

The JR 208 looks the bee's knees. I read that there were some QC issues, especially with the fingerboards, is that true?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I've always though Josh Martin's S5528 looked pretty "tame" compared to a lot of the other 8-strings that are on the market

somethingsomething

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There ain't nothin' shreddy about the Ibanez FTM33.

Maybe not exactly jazzy either, but...

EDIT: Nevermind, too expensive.

Kwert

Reaction score
Maybe you can find a used Oakland Axe Factory/Drinkwater Guitars instrument? They tend to have a more classic look from what I’ve seen.

edit: sorry, I just saw your budget and these will likely be a thousand or so outside of that…

Kwert

Reaction score

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Most of the market of players looking for 8s are into the shreddy look or the metal look. There’s stuff like Charlie Hunter’s company…. Equilibrium Guitars I think? Very not Metal. But also blow your budget. Best bang for your buck is going to be anything mass produced which generally means that it’s going to be tailored to what people are buying.

Does it have to be an 8 string? Fender/Squire has the Bass VI. With a 30” scale you could tune it to D if you wanted and it would hold up just fine. There are a few options out there in the Baritone 6 market that might be a good fit.

Mura

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How about Ibanez RGIR28BFE?
It has a calm appearance and is well within your budget in terms of price.

atracksler

Reaction score
I tried out a 7 string Boden this weekend, and the fan seemed different. It was quite playable and not as “steep”. Am I imagining that?

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I tried out a 7 string Boden this weekend, and the fan seemed different. It was quite playable and not as “steep”. Am I imagining that?

It's not your imagination, Strandberg is known for their more gentle fans relative to others.

Pingu

NOOT NOOT
Reaction score
For fanned frets you need to consider the parallel fret. Strandbergs are at the 9th fret? (not 100% sure), but a lot of guitars are just awful with the paralle at the 12th.
Also Strandberg scales and body size are relative to the number of strings they have, with the 8 string being a slightly larger body.

gh0styboi

El Stressperado
Reaction score
I've always though Josh Martin's S5528 looked pretty "tame" compared to a lot of the other 8-strings that are on the market
I absolutely love that guitar. One of these days...

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Hybrid guitars I believe - super cool stuff. On a separate note, RIP Dave from Equilibrium Guitars

That’s right. And yes, RIP Dave. His guitars were/are awesome.

For fanned frets you need to consider the parallel fret. Strandbergs are at the 9th fret? (not 100% sure), but a lot of guitars are just awful with the paralle at the 12th.
Also Strandberg scales and body size are relative to the number of strings they have, with the 8 string being a slightly larger body.

It’s very important where the parallel is. It affects the whole feel of the guitar. Strandies are mean to be compact too. So it makes sense that a smaller scale and narrower neck would have a smaller body.

atracksler

Reaction score
Any other smaller scale strand-ish necked 8 strings I should look at?