Let the RG8 Mods begin...

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
Alright, so I haphazardly popped the fret markers out of the fingerboard.

33vp99l.jpg

Wait, what sort of moron fills them back up with white?

4t3dy9.jpg

Ohhh.....

21j8xnl.jpg

21kjpya.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Some progress on my Floyd install, it was quite difficult to find someone that would modify my custom finished body so I went looking for other options. I hooked up with Dave (djohns74) to find a good solution, which meant building a new body.

I took the opportunity to go with something I've wanted for a while. I'll let the images speak for themselves.
1-RoughCut.jpg

9-Front.jpg

10-Rear.jpg

We did run into a little snag with trying to get the Floyd as recessed as I'd like.
7-FloydTest3.jpg

I was able to reach out to the folks at Floyd Upgrades to source a shorter block to alleviate the problem of the block sticking out too far. Stay tuned for more updates in the near-ish future.

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
Some progress on my Floyd install, it was quite difficult to find someone that would modify my custom finished body so I went looking for other options. I hooked up with Dave (djohns74) to find a good solution, which meant building a new body.

I took the opportunity to go with something I've wanted for a while. I'll let the images speak for themselves.
1-RoughCut.jpg

9-Front.jpg

10-Rear.jpg

We did run into a little snag with trying to get the Floyd as recessed as I'd like.
7-FloydTest3.jpg

I was able to reach out to the folks at Floyd Upgrades to source a shorter block to alleviate the problem of the block sticking out too far. Stay tuned for more updates in the near-ish future.
Speechless!

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I'm glad everyone else digs it as much as I do.

@ThePhilosopher
What is the battery cavity for? Aren't you going with passives?

I am, I have an Ionizer set going in there. The snack tray update is coming soon, let's just say it involves wires :lol:.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Heads up to anyone ordering the Vanson locking tuners for their RG8:

They don't come with the mounting screws.

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
My hipshot open gear locking tuners showed up today!
14mfgie.jpg

Good news: They're rad.
20aqkj4.jpg

Bad news: They only included 6 of these things:
14y6f42.jpg

Good news: you can re-use the ones form the stock tuning machines.

Check out the weird white stuff that was under the stock tuners. It peeled off like latex. The exterior of the tuning machines also had some sort of gummy/tacky substance covering them.

5wkvoo.jpg

vick1000

Reaction score
Someone probably thought it would reduce vibration? If you ever decide to drill for screws on them, make sure you have the bit just a hair smaller, and go slow. That maple is literally rock hard, I burned up two bits and stripped the heads on a few screws on mine. I actually went and got some better screws at the hardware store.

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
Someone probably thought it would reduce vibration? If you ever decide to drill for screws on them, make sure you have the bit just a hair smaller, and go slow. That maple is literally rock hard, I burned up two bits and stripped the heads on a few screws on mine. I actually went and got some better screws at the hardware store.

Maybe? The white latex stuff was EVERYwhere on this thing.

People do weird things.

Thank goodness the hipshot tuners came with the new Universal Mounting Plate(ump), No drilling required!

Now I just need the bridge!

Do you have any advice on choosing a new pot to replace the stock volume?

vick1000

Reaction score
Maybe? The white latex stuff was EVERYwhere on this thing.

People do weird things.

Thank goodness the hipshot tuners came with the new Universal Mounting Plate(ump), No drilling required!

Now I just need the bridge!

Do you have any advice on choosing a new pot to replace the stock volume?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-1-Meg-Solid-Shaft-Audio-Taper-Potentiometer-Pot-US-/131215284820?hash=item1e8d0a5a54:g:adIAAOSwGWNUVoEO

You have to widen the hole if it has not already been, for any full sized pot.

I would get a 500k too, just incase you don't like the 1 meg. But the DA8 should pair well with a 1 meg.

Don't know how good you are with the iron, but don't overheat the back trying to ground everything there. I always run a wire off the back, and ground stuff to it, not the pot.