Let the RG8 Mods begin...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mathlovsky

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Almost done with the modding of my Ibanez Rg8. Darkened the fretboard myself (i dont like the look of dotted inlays on this particular guitar). Sent a template and materials to Abacus to make a custom pickguard. Removed the tone knob, pickup selector and neck pick up. Tuners are doing quite well so that will be a eventual upgrade in the far future. All i need now is a new bridge pickup. Thinking about the Dimarzio D Activator 8 or go for an active setup with some Fishman Fluence Modern 8. String gauge is 90, 70, 54, 32, 24, 16, 11, 9 for the tuning of DGCGCGCE. This is fun !

Attachments

• 5CC6BED5-ED4D-4445-884E-D15BE652CA84.jpeg
    5CC6BED5-ED4D-4445-884E-D15BE652CA84.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230

cgmorrison

What?
Reaction score
Multiscale conversion in the works. Still haven't decided if I'm keeping the original neck or making one similar to the Endurneck. I made some mistakes on the top of the body, so the clamp monster is me gluing a walnut top on a walnut body. I'll say it's chambered and call it a feature.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    712.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    931.8 KB · Views: 62

ZeroS1gnol

Reaction score
Multiscale conversion in the works. Still haven't decided if I'm keeping the original neck or making one similar to the Endurneck. I made some mistakes on the top of the body, so the clamp monster is me gluing a walnut top on a walnut body. I'll say it's chambered and call it a feature.
Oh my. I will follow this with great interest.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Picked this up about a year ago for 225 from GC used. Added a custom pickguard and an 808, and a pretty cool sticker lol.

Attachments

• 285FA47D-F37D-46E2-A87B-7C975BDFB824.jpeg
    285FA47D-F37D-46E2-A87B-7C975BDFB824.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
Man there used to be a site and I'm struggling to find it now but they had damn near every Ibanez pickguard you could imagine (even for models that don't have them normally) and it allowed you to add/remove routes.... I'll keep digging to see if I can find it

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Where did you end up getting that pickguard? I'm looking for one now and all the ones I'm finding have two pups, i'm wanting a single bridge.

https://www.wdmusic.com/

I’ve bought many a pickguard from them and they’re top notch. When the mail went all haywire last year the rg8 guard was lost for about 3 weeks. I contacted them and they were sending a new one next day. Thankfully the original arrived the following day and I had them cancel the replacement hours before it shipped. I was blown away at their willingness to fix someone else’s error free of charge. I will note last I looked they weren’t doing custom guards due to pandemic related issues (hopefully not me lol) but normally they will literally make you anything as long as you provide a tracing. If it’s a guard they already make but you just want a pickup or knob removed that should be super easy. I think I had to send a tracing for this but I based it on a TAM100 guard. Made sure that damn volume pot was in the tone spot all the way out of the way lol. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
How passable are the RG8 bridges? Something I'm going to want to grab a hipshot IBBY version for?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
upload_2022-1-13_12-4-50.png

Little shitty MS paint mock up of a pickguard I think i'm going to design for a stock RG8 in white, based off an AZ, think i'm gonna throw a white Fishman in it. What do you think?

Jeffrey Bain

Reaction score
View attachment 101959

Little shitty MS paint mock up of a pickguard I think i'm going to design for a stock RG8 in white, based off an AZ, think i'm gonna throw a white Fishman in it. What do you think?
Super sexy, white and tortoise is such an under-rated scheme. I'd personally go for a black dome knob but different strokes and all that. Black screws for the pickguard too but I imagine you'd do that and just couldn't in MS paint. Pretty good for using paint btw lol

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
https://www.wdmusic.com/

I’ve bought many a pickguard from them and they’re top notch. When the mail went all haywire last year the rg8 guard was lost for about 3 weeks. I contacted them and they were sending a new one next day. Thankfully the original arrived the following day and I had them cancel the replacement hours before it shipped. I was blown away at their willingness to fix someone else’s error free of charge. I will note last I looked they weren’t doing custom guards due to pandemic related issues (hopefully not me lol) but normally they will literally make you anything as long as you provide a tracing. If it’s a guard they already make but you just want a pickup or knob removed that should be super easy. I think I had to send a tracing for this but I based it on a TAM100 guard. Made sure that damn volume pot was in the tone spot all the way out of the way lol. Hope this helps!
Dude I swore I saw a PDF of this pickguard design you used somewhere on here but I can't find it, do you still have that file? I think it was yours, I remember it had a neck pup route in it but you said you had them omit it, was that you?

Latest posts