Let the RG8 Mods begin...

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CTS-1-Meg-Solid-Shaft-Audio-Taper-Potentiometer-Pot-US-/131215284820?hash=item1e8d0a5a54:g:adIAAOSwGWNUVoEO

You have to widen the hole if it has not already been, for any full sized pot.

I would get a 500k too, just incase you don't like the 1 meg. But the DA8 should pair well with a 1 meg.

Don't know how good you are with the iron, but don't overheat the back trying to ground everything there. I always run a wire off the back, and ground stuff to it, not the pot.

Thanks for all of your great help!

My uncle is an RF analog engineer, and was delighted to work on my guitars today. Check out his nerd wizard lair:

1zvrcid.jpg

nq1toy.jpg

Here are some very unscientific tone recordings, played over Meshuggah's Pravus.

Please excuse the sloppy playing.

PRE removal https://soundcloud.com/diversionarydevice/pravus-tone-pre-pot-removal

POST removal https://soundcloud.com/diversionarydevice/pravus2-tone-test-post-pot-removal

Now, we move onto cutting the pickgaurd...

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
^ cool lair...does he have a ham radio too?

I don't think so, but I'll ask next time. the radios he works with aren't HAM related, though.

After moving my Volume pot, deleting the tone/neck PUP, he asked me to come back with something more difficult next time. :scream:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Backsnack

Many strings
Reaction score
Maybe? The white latex stuff was EVERYwhere on this thing.

People do weird things.

Thank goodness the hipshot tuners came with the new Universal Mounting Plate(ump), No drilling required!

Now I just need the bridge!

Do you have any advice on choosing a new pot to replace the stock volume?

I have the same set on mine. They are nice and they look sweet. :metal:

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
found an rg8 for cheap, think I'm gonna pick it up and turn it into a destroyer 8 string.

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
I poked around and was unable to find anything clear. Does anyone have any pictures of a stripped RG8? I want to strip mine down and stain the top ebony or grey, but am concerned with how 'red' the bodywood is or isn't.

I wish this thing was basswood!

vick1000

Reaction score
I poked around and was unable to find anything clear. Does anyone have any pictures of a stripped RG8? I want to strip mine down and stain the top ebony or grey, but am concerned with how 'red' the bodywood is or isn't.

I wish this thing was basswood!

Good luck stripping a plastic Ibanez. The filler is so thick, you'll need a belt sander.

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
Good luck stripping a plastic Ibanez. The filler is so thick, you'll need a belt sander.

I've done it a few times, I've got some power tools at my disposal.

I'm glad you brought it up though, do you happen to know if there will be height issues with the bridge ?

vick1000

Reaction score
I've done it a few times, I've got some power tools at my disposal.

I'm glad you brought it up though, do you happen to know if there will be height issues with the bridge ?

You should have enough saddle screw travel to compensate.

BangandBreach

Kaboom.
Reaction score
You should have enough saddle screw travel to compensate.

You're a treasuretrove of info, Thanks again Vick.

update: so I thought you were being sarcastic about the thick finish being plastic.

After lots of sanding, and the use of Kleenstrip paint stripper, you weren't joking.
This is hell.

As it turns out, the bodywood is very light, and will make for a great grey/ebony stain, though.

BigViolin

...---...
Reaction score
That's going to be a beast of a guitar.

I'm getting ready to tear down my RG8 with a bad refin and ditch the basswood for a custom ash body. It wil be my first from scratch body build. Shape will be something like a vick crossed with a Oni. Basic 2 hum hardtail.

I really dig the shape you went with!

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
Yeah, I went for something close to the Ibanez FR shape - DJohns here built it for me.