Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
I sold my hd500x and bought a Katana100 to replace it. I didn't like the endless options on tone shaping and quazillion presets, so I bought something far simpler and couldn't be happier.

Merrekof

Reaction score
I sold my hd500x and bought a Katana100 to replace it. I didn't like the endless options on tone shaping and quazillion presets, so I bought something far simpler and couldn't be happier.
I totally understand that and I looked into that direction also. It was the extra in- and outputs and the fact that I already have the Line6 unit that turned me off from buying a Katana.
Besides, I have like 3 presets on the Line6 that I've been using for years now so I'm not busy eq'ing anymore.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
It is crazy how good cheaper stuff is these days also. I do have some expensive stuff, like a Fractal rack and tube amps, but then I play something like my cheap Boss Katana and I am amazed at how good it sounds and feels compared to my big stuff. Some days I wonder if I should sell it all except for the good cheap stuff and pay some bills, lol.

I just picked up a HD PRO X for $200! I know it's not the newest and greatest and I'd love a Helix or Fractal unit, but it is insane that you can get one of these for this cheap now.....

Santuzzo

Reaction score
question to those of you who are still using their POD HDs:
do you have the metal model packs or fully loaded model packs? are they worth getting? there's a 30% off sale at Line6 for model packs right now, but I'm not sure if I should get the fully loaded model pack... planning on getting a Helix rack once I have the budget, which however, may be a while from now...

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
do you have the metal model packs or fully loaded model packs? are they worth getting? there's a 30% off sale at Line6 for model packs right now, but I'm not sure if I should get the fully loaded model pack... planning on getting a Helix rack once I have the budget, which however, may be a while from now...
Put the money towards the Helix.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Put the money towards the Helix.

Honestly I preferred the POD HD 5150 and Recto Pre over the Helix 5150 and Recto. But everything else on the Helix is sooo much better. Plus the Helix has a BE100, Mark IV, Archon, Revv, and a Big Bottom remaster (the Badonk) that smokes everything on the POD HD.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Are you happy with the sounds you have right now? I am happy with the Engl amp model so I never had the need to buy an extra model pack.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Thanks, guys for your input on this.
As suggested I will save my money for the Helix and skip the model pack.

Are you happy with the sounds you have right now? I am happy with the Engl amp model so I never had the need to buy an extra model pack.

That's a good point. I am happy with the sounds I'm getting with the HD500 stock amps, for metal rhythm tones I also use the Fireball model as well as the Recto model.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
Get the mooer brown sound 3 (evh 5153) or look on amazon or mooers website for all their preamp pedals. The have a engl fireball, 6505, engl blackmore, idk if it's a herbert or a vh44 but they have a diesel, jcm 800, and 3 mesa, but I would only get the dual rec one because the other ones are mark 3 and mark 4 but they dont have the 6 band settings the mark series have on them. Only about $90 ish dollars shipped. Either use them in the fx return on an amp or buy the mooer baby bomb to amplify them. I love the 5153 one I want the fireball and the dual rec. If you need more power but the Seymour duncan powerstage 170 or buy the headrush frfr 1x12 (it's the size of a 2x12 but is a 1x12) the headrush frfr is best being used as a speaker to use with cab sims. The baby bomb is only 30 watts but is more than enough to keep up with a drummer. The headrush frfr is a HUGE 2000 watts!! For now I'm just using the fx return of my joyo zombie.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
If you plan on getting 3 of them, you might as well spend a little more and get the Mooer Preamp Live.

Djentlover666

Forever tone questing
Reaction score
I'm thinking about it. But don't gig. Just doing it for fun. Plus I'm not totally sure about the preamp live. I still have to do research on it. I know very little about it. As of now I just power my preamp and use a 1x12 with a v30. Idk if I want the headrush frfr or if I want to buy a power amp and get a nice 2x12. Either a revv 2x12 or evh 2x12. Or just cheap out and get the harley benton 2x12 with v30s. The 1x12 I have is a Harley benton with a v30.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Get the mooer brown sound 3 (evh 5153) or look on amazon or mooers website for all their preamp pedals. The have a engl fireball, 6505, engl blackmore, idk if it's a herbert or a vh44 but they have a diesel, jcm 800, and 3 mesa, but I would only get the dual rec one because the other ones are mark 3 and mark 4 but they dont have the 6 band settings the mark series have on them. Only about $90 ish dollars shipped. Either use them in the fx return on an amp or buy the mooer baby bomb to amplify them. I love the 5153 one I want the fireball and the dual rec. If you need more power but the Seymour duncan powerstage 170 or buy the headrush frfr 1x12 (it's the size of a 2x12 but is a 1x12) the headrush frfr is best being used as a speaker to use with cab sims. The baby bomb is only 30 watts but is more than enough to keep up with a drummer. The headrush frfr is a HUGE 2000 watts!! For now I'm just using the fx return of my joyo zombie.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really planning on getting a Helix down the road....just need time to save up for one. I was only considering whether or not to upgrade my HD500 in the meanwhile with those model packs....

Merrekof

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm really planning on getting a Helix down the road....just need time to save up for one. I was only considering whether or not to upgrade my HD500 in the meanwhile with those model packs....
Not worth it in your situation, imo. :)

Reaction score
The Pod HD does "good enough" amp modelling, but not "great". Even with the HD model packs, they still sound... "meh" at best. The Helix does it much better, but still doesn't quite reach the level that a real amp does (imo). Modellers are great if you want more convenience out of your rig and are okay with settling on a "good enough" sound.

The effects are where the Pod HD and Helix really shine though. I'd still call the effects in the Pod HD equal to those in the Helix. My HD Pro sits in the FX loop of my amp and handles time based effects. I pretty much don't use it for anything other than that, other than MIDI switching for my amp.

I'd advocate for spending the money on a great amp, rather than a Helix and use your Pod in the same kind of capacity that I do. But if you need the convenience of a Helix, then your money is better served there.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I'd advocate for spending the money on a great amp, rather than a Helix and use your Pod in the same kind of capacity that I do.

Thanks, but nope. I want to get the Helix, I will mostly be using it for recording at home. Also more flexibility with different amp sounds compared to one real good tube amp.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Thanks, but nope. I want to get the Helix, I will mostly be using it for recording at home. Also more flexibility with different amp sounds compared to one real good tube amp.
That's exactly why I bought the POD HD pro X back in the day. Simplifying my setup, recording at home and trying out new sounds without buying other gear.