Thewicked6

Reaction score
Does anyone know if you'll lose volume or power hooking up The joyo zombie (which runs 8ohms) into a 16ohm 4x12 speaker cabinet?? Can't find anything about this online. Please help! I'm hoping the answer is no because it does have a solid state power section and just one pre amp tube.

Thanks!

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you'll lose volume or power hooking up The joyo zombie (which runs 8ohms) into a 16ohm 4x12 speaker cabinet?? Can't find anything about this online. Please help! I'm hoping the answer is no because it does have a solid state power section and just one pre amp tube.

Thanks!

It will be quieter into 16 ohms. You’ll often see specs on solidstate amps that say (for example) 400 watts @ 4 ohms, 250 watts at 8 ohms, 150 watts at 16 ohms.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
How do y'all find the tone suck is when in the 4CM? Im thinking about getting an HD500X instead of spending all the dosh on a Helix LT again.

Late response, but when i was using a tube preamp in the FX loop of the Pod HD Pro, i really didn't have a problem with tone suck - pretty much 4CM with separate pre and power amps vs both in one box. I'm guessing if I were to A/B it unplugging cables back and forth i would have noticed something, but it really never sounded off to me so I never resorted to that A/B'ing (I may have subconsciously known if I started doing that i would have screwed myself) and happily gigged it. Always it sounded natural like the real tube pre and tube power amp that they were, even with the Pod HD both up front and before the power amp.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I tried the POD HD for awhile, and yeah I noticed some tone suck. Rolled off the high end quite a bit no matter what I did. Ended up getting a Helix Floor and I do everything with it now. Effects, amps, etc.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I tried the POD HD for awhile, and yeah I noticed some tone suck. Rolled off the high end quite a bit no matter what I did. Ended up getting a Helix Floor and I do everything with it now. Effects, amps, etc.

Nice, are you still going to a guitar cab or FRFR setup? At this point im pretty much a fan of any solution that doesnt require multiple cables across the stage and allows one button switching of everything, as long as it sounds good.

Looking back when i tried 4cm with the pod and a first gen 5150 it was pretty much unusable tone suck wise, but hard to say if i wasnt missing something or more likely some loops play better with it, as i had no such troubles with the rack gear's analagous ins and outs.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I imagine the loop plays a huge part. I was using a Mark IV, and I have no clue how good their loops are. :shrug:

And it's all FRFR. Running into two 12'' powered speakers.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I have a few somewhat noob-ish questions with regard to my POD HD500:

when I connect my POD through to a power amp, do I use a regular guitar cable? or would an un-shielded line-cable be better for this?
and what about connecting it to an audio interface through the line outputs of the POD HD to the line inputs of the interface (Line6 UX2 in my case), would I use a non-shielded line cable here or a guitar cable?
thanks!

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I have a few somewhat noob-ish questions with regard to my POD HD500:

when I connect my POD through to a power amp, do I use a regular guitar cable? or would an un-shielded line-cable be better for this?
and what about connecting it to an audio interface through the line outputs of the POD HD to the line inputs of the interface (Line6 UX2 in my case), would I use a non-shielded line cable here or a guitar cable?
thanks!

I used standard instrument cables.

Billbill

Reaction score

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
Little anecdote about the good old Pod HD. Currently recording a demo of our band on my laptop, for guitars we miced my guitarist's 1980's (or 1970's) marshall 2x12 combo - not sure which one it is but it's an all tube amp and collectible. Anyway we had a part where it's only guitar playing 3 palm muted notes by itself and the hum from the amp was coming though loud and clear. Tried high-passing it but the freq was too high to not affect the tone trying to filter it out. So i plugged in my pod HD, selected the plexi model and I think the greenback cab, and rerecorded the part direct, hum free.

Sent out the new mix with hint about fixing something in the mix (i had been bitching earlier about the hum on that part) and my guitarist couldn't figure out what changed! This guy has vintage fenders and marshalls, and played this part with goldtop Gibson Lespaul...so i'd say the POD did a good job in this scenario!

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Have any of you guys got the HD metal pack and/or HD vintage pack? If so, are they worth the 50 bucks?

Anybody still using their POD HD?
I guess most of you probably upgraded to a Helix/AxeFX or Kemper or are planning to get the new POD Go.

I am thinking of getting a Helix or POD Go myself at some point, but since I don't really have the budget right now and I'm actually still happy with the results of my POD HD500, this is what I will still be using for a while.

Back to my original question: would you recommend getting the amp modelpacks for the HD500? any useful/good sounding amp models in there?

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
I still have my HD500X, am at the point of gassing for either the Helix or the Cortex. The Cortex has more of my fave amps without a model pack upgrade, but it lacks the expression pedal built in. I can get on of those & use the internal Wah's & be back to what I have with the 500X, but just better. I've even thought of the idea of getting the Cortex, and then either a Cantrell Wah or a Petrucci Wah.

Shask

Reaction score
Pod HD Pro X user here. Haven't upgraded it yet and probably won't. I'm a bedroom player and I just can't justify buying more expensive gear because of house, wife, kids and a million bills to pay..
It is crazy how good cheaper stuff is these days also. I do have some expensive stuff, like a Fractal rack and tube amps, but then I play something like my cheap Boss Katana and I am amazed at how good it sounds and feels compared to my big stuff. Some days I wonder if I should sell it all except for the good cheap stuff and pay some bills, lol.

Merrekof

Reaction score
It is crazy how good cheaper stuff is these days also. I do have some expensive stuff, like a Fractal rack and tube amps, but then I play something like my cheap Boss Katana and I am amazed at how good it sounds and feels compared to my big stuff. Some days I wonder if I should sell it all except for the good cheap stuff and pay some bills, lol.
Yeah I know. Actually even the Pod is too "big" for me. But then again, there are just no real options for cheaper tbh. The Boss Katana sounds great but it would fall short in my setup. Besides poweramp and cabs I run it into the second channel of my pc monitors. It allows me to play a song or track and play along on very low volumes or headphones.

Shask

Reaction score
Yeah I know. Actually even the Pod is too "big" for me. But then again, there are just no real options for cheaper tbh. The Boss Katana sounds great but it would fall short in my setup. Besides poweramp and cabs I run it into the second channel of my pc monitors. It allows me to play a song or track and play along on very low volumes or headphones.
Yeah, the simplicity in the Katana is its strength and weakness. It is a great sounding and feeling amp, and with the software there is a lot of ways to tweak, but general routing options and switching are pretty limited when compared with full modern modelers. It does have a USB out and recording/line out (at least the head does), but it can have limited use since you can't turn off the speaker simulation it comes with.

Merrekof

Reaction score
Yeah, the simplicity in the Katana is its strength and weakness. It is a great sounding and feeling amp, and with the software there is a lot of ways to tweak, but general routing options and switching are pretty limited when compared with full modern modelers. It does have a USB out and recording/line out (at least the head does), but it can have limited use since you can't turn off the speaker simulation it comes with.
Well the Katana is relatively cheap, they have to cut corners somewhere to keep the price down.