RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got my pod hd300 yesterday and even though I already tried for quite a long time, I haven't found my perfect metal tone yet :/

It seems to me, that amps like California Treadplate ergo Mesa are just too fat for the sound I want.

I'm listening to bands like Necrophagist, Obscura, Decrepit Birth and I'm playing Death most of the times.. On my crappy Digitech I think I had a sound which had a little bit more punch than the one of Death, but is just not as fat as for example Ola Englunds sounds....

Some other amps on the other hand have a way too percussive sound on the open E string (which is tuned down to D on my guitar), for my taste.

I know that Christian Münzner used a Engl amp with tubescreamer for Omnivium, but I didn't get any decent sound out of the tubedrive yet.

Most of the stuff is also pretty muddy and i haven't found the best noise gate settings either.

Any suggestions what kind of amps etc. to use?

PS: I'm playing a schecter hellraiser special, ergo active EMG pickups.

For starters, the tubedrive is not a tubescreamer, the screamer is. Also, ola's tones are always double tracked or more. You have to be realistic about your tone.

That being said, the engl or bogner models can both sound very big and crunchy. I would give you my patches, but your on the very limited hd300 and can't use them anyway ;)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorMacPhail

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got my pod hd300 yesterday and even though I already tried for quite a long time, I haven't found my perfect metal tone yet :/

It seems to me, that amps like California Treadplate ergo Mesa are just too fat for the sound I want.

I'm listening to bands like Necrophagist, Obscura, Decrepit Birth and I'm playing Death most of the times.. On my crappy Digitech I think I had a sound which had a little bit more punch than the one of Death, but is just not as fat as for example Ola Englunds sounds....

Some other amps on the other hand have a way too percussive sound on the open E string (which is tuned down to D on my guitar), for my taste.

I know that Christian Münzner used a Engl amp with tubescreamer for Omnivium, but I didn't get any decent sound out of the tubedrive yet.

Most of the stuff is also pretty muddy and i haven't found the best noise gate settings either.

Any suggestions what kind of amps etc. to use?

PS: I'm playing a schecter hellraiser special, ergo active EMG pickups.

You would probably enjoy the JCM800 model through a 1960A cab or a HiWatt cab, give it a try if you haven't already!

BringerOfBlood

Dark Apprentice
Reaction score
Thank you all for your advices!

Did you try changing cabs when you experimented with different amplifiers? Also, it is not such a bad idea to run an EQ infront to get rid of some mud before you apply gain to the signal.
Yeah that really helped, I turned it off now and it's much better for me. Still place for tweaking, but the mesa has a good sound now :)

But I'm still open for any other tipps ;)

E.g. : How would using an EQ work? What settings do I need to choose, if I use one?

PodHdBean

Reaction score
do u have the Variable Input Impedance on the 300?if so put it at 1m or 3.5

Thank you all for your advices!

Yeah that really helped, I turned it off now and it's much better for me. Still place for tweaking, but the mesa has a good sound now :)

But I'm still open for any other tipps ;)

E.g. : How would using an EQ work? What settings do I need to choose, if I use one?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm picking up an HD400 this Friday for home recording (my brother is making me jealous with his tunes every week :lol:), this thread should be handy!

edit: there's no 5150 amp sim? That's not fair!

polarbeast666

Reaction score
what should I do if I just wanted to use m hd500 as effects? Like use m peavey 6505 for its distortion and everything but use the hd500 as a noise gate? I also have a tube screamer in real life, where should that go?

BringerOfBlood

Dark Apprentice
Reaction score
Ok, I recently found a good patch online, so here's the next question^^:

What software is good for recording stuff? (freeware)

ArrowHead

Reaction score
But its not completely free...

Reaper is a free unrestricted full version trial. Yes, after the trial period the license is $60. And well worth it. But... you could also continue using the demo as long as you want after the trial period is over without paying for the license. Aside from a 4 second nag screen on startup, it's fully functional.

I understand you want people to pay for their license. So do I. But for jeepers sake, if I see one more poor sap jump in with Audacity and it's complete lack of ASIO support because someone like you tries to discourage them from checking out Reaper as a "free" app because you're afraid they won't pay the license...

Frankly if Reaper is okay with the terms of the demo - you shouldn't need to worry about it. Personally, it took me over 9 months of trying one thing after another in Reaper before I finally felt comfortable enough to make the choice to buy a license and ditch my $500 DAW.

As for Audacity - Don't do it, dude. Try Reaper first. ASIO support (the driver's your POD and music software/hardware use) is not included in Audacity as they'd have to pay to use it and that would break their gnu license. Unless you're in the mood to completely re-compile their software, it just isn't worthwhile.

BringerOfBlood

Dark Apprentice
Reaction score
Reaper is a free unrestricted full version trial. Yes, after the trial period the license is $60. And well worth it. But... you could also continue using the demo as long as you want after the trial period is over without paying for the license. Aside from a 4 second nag screen on startup, it's fully functional.

I understand you want people to pay for their license. So do I. But for jeepers sake, if I see one more poor sap jump in with Audacity and it's complete lack of ASIO support because someone like you tries to discourage them from checking out Reaper as a "free" app because you're afraid they won't pay the license...

Frankly if Reaper is okay with the terms of the demo - you shouldn't need to worry about it. Personally, it took me over 9 months of trying one thing after another in Reaper before I finally felt comfortable enough to make the choice to buy a license and ditch my $500 DAW.

As for Audacity - Don't do it, dude. Try Reaper first. ASIO support (the driver's your POD and music software/hardware use) is not included in Audacity as they'd have to pay to use it and that would break their gnu license. Unless you're in the mood to completely re-compile their software, it just isn't worthwhile.

OK you're right, I will try reaper and if I like it, it might be worth the 60$