PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
So I got one of these units about two weeks ago, and I'm rather confused on some things since I'm a TOTAL modelling n00b and couldn't find anything.

1. May be a stupid question, but when you are running dual amp models, is amp A pretty much just used as a clean boost, or is it supposed to have its own gain stage and everything. When I turn amp B off in the chain, I just get a clean guitar signal.

If you turn the second amp off, you wind up with a second signal path with no amp, so it turns into a clean DI. Does that answer the question?

2. The noise gates imo aren't the best, but I'm making due with what I have. Does the noise gate or the hard gate have less tone suck? I've read that the noise gate is more like an NS-2 and the hard gate is like an ISP Decimator, and if this is true, I'll try out the hard gate.

Hard gate is far superior. I only use the noise gate when there's a real need, which should ideally be never, unless you want to squash the sound.

3. Compressors. Oh, the one thing I have never understood about this stuff. How important ARE compressors when it comes to live sounds? I'm noticing volume fluctuation when switching between patches. Is this due to compressor levels, or lack of compressors on certain patches? Any suggested on board compressors to help alleviate this issue (red comp, blue comp, setting tips, etc.)?

If you have volume issues, adjust the amp volume. If you want to get a more condensed, tight tone, use the compressor. The compressor shouldn't be used as a volume control. I sometimes use the red comp with output all the way up and sustain at around 5-15% for a tighter, djentier metal tone. Careful though, because it adds some high end that can be very nasty if you aren't judicious with your use of it. You should read about what compressors actually do to your signal before you use one in a signal chain. Unless you're after a particular type of tone or are using a bunch of effects that change the end volume result (tremolo, delay, etc.), I've never used them very much.

4. Last question. I have two EQ's usually going BEHIND the amps, usually a mid-focus and a Parametric EQ. Any fundamental rules I should know about those as far as to set the highs/lows, LP/HP, gains, etc? Should I put any of these in the pre-amp signal rather than post-amp? I just don't feel like I'm doing this right. Settings can be posted if needed.

The EQs on the HD series are stupidly designed and weird as hell, and I never use them. That said, read meambobbo's HD guide for an explanation of how to use the EQs if you must for live usage or any other reason. There's quite a bit to understand about them.

putting words down here so my post is the required length

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Bad news fellows.

The time has come for me to part ways with my beloved hd500. I'm really only using it as a tuner right now, and its just taking up space under my desk between my sub and chair, so it deserves to go to a good home.

That being said, I will be doing one last video with it to give you some insight on how I made my most recent patch as well as covering a few other things.

Lastly, I won't really be watching this thread anymore, so if you do happen to have a question for me, please don't hesitate to pm me!

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Bad news fellows.

The time has come for me to part ways with my beloved hd500. I'm really only using it as a tuner right now, and its just taking up space under my desk between my sub and chair, so it deserves to go to a good home.

That being said, I will be doing one last video with it to give you some insight on how I made my most recent patch as well as covering a few other things.

Lastly, I won't really be watching this thread anymore, so if you do happen to have a question for me, please don't hesitate to pm me!

star-wars-darth-vader-no.gif

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
Bad news fellows.

Looks like you have a case of the LAMNTA. (Look at my new tube amp!)

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
Bad news fellows.

TRAITOR!!!!! :scream:

Reaction score
Bad news fellows.

Mark my words; you will come back some day, You will. I give you less than 6 months before you start missing the POD, and when you compare it to the price of an Axe deodorant, you'll miss it even more.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
line 6 is really pissing me off lately... they need to step up their game.

Me too. They don't care about what we ask for. I love my Pod but I want more. For 700€ I cannot pretend an AFX but there are still things to fix and to add. If I had the money I'd buy an Axe right now, Cliff cares about his customers and provides them cool features they couldn't even imagine.

Centrix

Reaction score
Is it just me or has the "original" HD series completely disappeared from the website? I was searching for the Bean and couldn't find it.

Also I have been trying to decide between an HD500X and a normal HD bean. I'll only use it for home practice/recording, never for live use, but I'm a little bit skeptical of two things: first, the fact that the bean may run out of DSP power and that it will be discontinued by Line6 without no further updates. However the 200€ price difference is a major factor...

Any thoughts? Does the Bean suit me well? Please bear in mind that I have never had one of these before. Can it record to the pc through USB? Does it run out of DSP easily? (I've read that you can't use dual amps with it, is it true?)

JLP2005

Chief Knuckledragger
Reaction score
TBH I'm getting tired of the POD as well. I really want to try a GSP1101, or a TC electronics system..

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Is it just me or has the "original" HD series completely disappeared from the website? I was searching for the Bean and couldn't find it.

Also I have been trying to decide between an HD500X and a normal HD bean. I'll only use it for home practice/recording, never for live use, but I'm a little bit skeptical of two things: first, the fact that the bean may run out of DSP power and that it will be discontinued by Line6 without no further updates. However the 200€ price difference is a major factor...

Any thoughts? Does the Bean suit me well? Please bear in mind that I have never had one of these before. Can it record to the pc through USB? Does it run out of DSP easily? (I've read that you can't use dual amps with it, is it true?)

Compare POD guitar amp modelers | Line 6

I'd get the 500X. More processing power is never bad, and yes, it can do dual amps. Try finding a used 500 for cheaper, since it's almost the exact same product.

You can record through USB, which is what I do.

My only caveat is that you should use external cab impulse responses and/or a power amp VST, because the power amp modeling and cabs leave a lot to be desired.

Centrix

Reaction score
Compare POD guitar amp modelers | Line 6

I'd get the 500X. More processing power is never bad, and yes, it can do dual amps. Try finding a used 500 for cheaper, since it's almost the exact same product.

You can record through USB, which is what I do.

My only caveat is that you should use external cab impulse responses and/or a power amp VST, because the power amp modeling and cabs leave a lot to be desired.

Thank you, I was really lost on the new website's layout. Do you think that, for what I will be using it for, the extra 200€ are worth it in comparison with the bean version? Home practice/recording really, no future plans for live use at all...

Edit: Does anyone know how the HD Bean compares to the HD500 in terms of DSP?