Alice AKW

Wolf Ninja
Reaction score
Hey Alice! I listened to your soundcloud and your patches are awesome, especially the mid gain tone, what have you used to achieve such a good tone? i tried putting an overdrive or colordrive in front of the amp with low gain but it sounded a bit harsh and muddy /:

That tone is a tube comp into the SLO 100 Clean with a little pre EQ. :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
So I spent the $99 and bought the Ultimate Expansion, or whatever it's called, for my 500X the day it was released. I have to admit that I'm really not in love with any of the new stuff. I think I'm in the minority, but I feel like I wasted my money on buying them. I still find myself sticking to the Soldano Crunch or Overdrive for my gain sounds.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
So I spent the $99 and bought the Ultimate Expansion, or whatever it's called, for my 500X the day it was released. I have to admit that I'm really not in love with any of the new stuff. I think I'm in the minority, but I feel like I wasted my money on buying them. I still find myself sticking to the Soldano Crunch or Overdrive for my gain sounds.

Get your money back then.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I'd hate to be THAT person...

But if you have a bass, whats your opinion on the new bass models?

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I have a bass, so I'll chime in -

So worth the $30, for the SVT model alone. The fliptop kinda sucks if you want a defined bass tone, as we all know, but the SVT kicks ass. Haven't messed with the GK much yet, but the new cabs are awesome as well. My main bass patch right now is the SVT Bright channel in parallel with a boosted 5150, running amps through the SVT 810 - sounds pretty killer

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
What amp is the Line6 Big Bottom based from? Sounds like a very dry 5150/Rectifier bastard child with tons of bass.

I enjoyed it as a pre amp model more than as a full amp model with virtual cabs, though. Sounds cool through the power amp of my 6505+ with a ported 2x12. I cut down on my amp's resonance and I almost have a 5150III-like sound.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
What amp is the Line6 Big Bottom based from? Sounds like a very dry 5150/Rectifier bastard child with tons of bass

this is copied and pasted from some old line 6 documents about the Big Bottom:

L6 Big Bottom

"Just can’t seem to get enough bottom end out of your cabinet? Try punishing it with Big Bottom. We crossed a Boogie Triple Rectifier with a Rivera Los Lobottom sub rig and dialed it in for serious disembowelment. But it’s not just about the bass. A super wide midrange control and an extra presence high midrange maintain articulation and power throughout the tonal range of this amp."

I'm loving this amp too.. Its for sure getting super close to the high gain sound I've been looking for. I'm just trying to find the best settings to get it to balance right in the mix.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score

L6 Big Bottom

"Just can’t seem to get enough bottom end out of your cabinet? Try punishing it with Big Bottom. We crossed a Boogie Triple Rectifier with a Rivera Los Lobottom sub rig and dialed it in for serious disembowelment. But it’s not just about the bass. A super wide midrange control and an extra presence high midrange maintain articulation and power throughout the tonal range of this amp."

You mean this?

Purelojik

Reaction score
the panama amp is fantastic. im thoroughly happy with this update.

now if they can actually allow us to switch out IR's then that would make me so happy. i'd pay for that functionality as well.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
It's been gone over a few pages back as to why that'll never happen with the HD series - and why you shouldn't expect it from Line 6 in general. Just get a Logidy EPSi, and call it a day.

I decided to mix the 5150 and Big Bottom models, since I was running into opposing issues with them - too fizzy with the 5150, to the point where it was sorta spitty like a fuzz pedal, and too much low end with the Big Bottom - running them in parallel, favoring the Big Bottom slightly over the 5150, and WOW - mega-chunk, djenty with a hint of deathcore, very good for modern metal, especially when I wound the bias of the 5150 all the way back, as well as dumped the treble and cranked the mids on the Big Bottom.

I've gotta try this out through a PA speaker, see how that sounds. GUESS I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING TOMORROW AFTER WORK

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
It's been gone over a few pages back as to why that'll never happen with the HD series - and why you shouldn't expect it from Line 6 in general. Just get a Logidy EPSi, and call it a day.

That was one of Digital Igloo's suggestion. Apparently Line 6 really cares about how worthy they are of your money. He said essentially that "It'd piss all over the user experience with the HD. And in the future, probably won't do it unless we can "do it differently"."

I decided to mix the 5150 and Big Bottom models, since I was running into opposing issues with them - too fizzy with the 5150, to the point where it was sorta spitty like a fuzz pedal, and too much low end with the Big Bottom - running them in parallel, favoring the Big Bottom slightly over the 5150, and WOW - mega-chunk, djenty with a hint of deathcore, very good for modern metal, especially when I wound the bias of the 5150 all the way back, as well as dumped the treble and cranked the mids on the Big Bottom.

I've gotta try this out through a PA speaker, see how that sounds. GUESS I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING TOMORROW AFTER WORK

What cab were you using with the 5150? I think I would try the Hiwatt cab first. It might possibly get rid of a lot of the fizz. As for the Big Bottom, the blackback cab or the treadplate would probably sound pretty cool once you dial it in. The Big Bottom would benefit from some post EQing, I'm sure. May have success with dialing the bass on the amp low [like 30-45%] and then using an EQ after to boost some of the low end. Also set the cab low end cutoff, thump, etc.

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Reaction score
Just for everyone curious, here's what I came up with - I threw together a quick single raw guitar track, USB out from the HD500X over Laid to Rest. Guitar is an SZ520 with a DiMarzio Drop Sonic in the bridge. Apologies for the slightly sloppy playing

[sc]https://soundcloud.com/b3n_t3st_m1x3s/01-laid-to-rest-raw[/sc]

And as for the tone, it's here

Pan3optic3on

Reaction score

L6 Big Bottom

I'm loving this amp too.. Its for sure getting super close to the high gain sound I've been looking for. I'm just trying to find the best settings to get it to balance right in the mix.

A triple rectifier? Nigel Tufnell would be proud. The Big Bottom goes to 11!

lewis

Reaction score
The best thing about not using the Line 6 Cabs and opting for a 3rd party IR device (Epsi, Torpedo CAB etc) is not only do you get a FAR superior tone but you also save a tonne of DSP space by having the Line 6 Cabs/Mics turned off. Made patches for me (on the older HD Pro) even better.

Win/Win so I actually dont care Line 6 dont offer the IRs built in, it would only be at the expense of more DSP than their current cabs take up anywhere probably. This way works better for everyone.

Ericjutsu

Reaction score
I think I'm going to return the metal add on pack. I can't get a tone that I like better than my previous ones. The new amp models just don't really fit well with any of the cabs. The big bottom sounds way better on the XT series cabs than on the new HD cabs. Same with the Panama. I still like the HD for ambient and FX heavy clean sounds as well as an FX unit for my amp.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
The best thing about not using the Line 6 Cabs and opting for a 3rd party IR device (Epsi, Torpedo CAB etc) is not only do you get a FAR superior tone but you also save a tonne of DSP space by having the Line 6 Cabs/Mics turned off. Made patches for me (on the older HD Pro) even better.

Win/Win so I actually dont care Line 6 dont offer the IRs built in, it would only be at the expense of more DSP than their current cabs take up anywhere probably. This way works better for everyone.

Do you use an Epsi or Torpedo? Would love to hear how you run it with the POD or use any suggestions or tips with these loaders. I have Redwirez Big Box set so I would love to get an IR loader someday

SeditiousDissent

i drove bus
Reaction score
Get your money back then.

I didn't realize that it was an option at first, but I have since "returned" the packs via the LM.

I'd hate to be THAT person...

But if you have a bass, whats your opinion on the new bass models?

I use a SansAmp for 99% of my bass stuff, so I never really messed around with the bass pack.