book_of_lies777

Reaction score
Ok I'm looking at pods to try and slim down the stuff I have to carry to practice. Can I use a pod hd 500 >rocktron velocity>4x12 cab

Currently I have a Peavey 6505 in a large case that is back breaking to move around and I use a 4 x 12 at the practice rooms we use

So In theory what I'm looking to carry is a 4u rack case and the hd500 oh and a guitar

Thanks

YES

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wood

Reaction score
Figured I'd start a new thread instead of tacking this onto the "Line 6's answer to the Axe-Fx?" thread.

Line 6 | POD HD

flexibility-features7.jpg

My opinion? Samples sound good, if only single-tracked, without backing tracks, and many of them with goofy processing. The JCM800, in particular, sounds really really authentic. :agreed: This will most likely be something that we'll have to personally take for a test drive, or wait for someone to make actual, good + music contextual demos of. :shrug:

I own the HD500 for over a year and i very happy with the sounds. I used it in the studio instead of my boutique amps and it sounded great.

The models that I used were a JTM45 brt and a Vox 30. I use the springreverb, the digital delay, some parts the digital delay with mod and a Tubedrive model.
The mic setting was the 57 on axis.

You can hear the resulted here.The guitar solo starts at 2.19. You can really here the sound.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I wish there was a decent bandpass/notch/comb filter with an LFO, any way to fake it that isn't DSP heavy?

how about the Q-filter? that has band pass. I think i remember one of the flangers having the ability to not modulate, and just have a single static sound, and then moving the depth knob will do the "modulating" instead.

Blasphemer

Bird Law expert
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately; does anybody else REALLY want the HD modeling software as a VST/AU? I would kill for that. I hate setting my tone on the POD, recording and entire song, and then wanting to tweak the patch a tad later on.

Malkav

Washing your dishes.
Reaction score
I've been thinking lately; does anybody else REALLY want the HD modeling software as a VST/AU? I would kill for that. I hate setting my tone on the POD, recording and entire song, and then wanting to tweak the patch a tad later on.

From what I know I think you can just run the SPDIF as a DI and then use the dual outputs to get your guitar sound - Record that way and then when you tweak the patch you'll already have the performance captured :)

I could be entirely wrong in saying this though, so hopefully someone else can clarify :)

MrPepperoniNipples

Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble getting smooth lead tones to cut through the rhythm?
Especially with the ENGL?

The more 'gritty' lead tones I have are nice and all, but I want something smoother but I end up having to increase them like 12db in order to be audible.
Anyone know what I mean?

FireInside

.Buried.Breathing.
Reaction score
Hey guys, very late to the game here (sorry). I have several questions and I would appreciate some advice.

I currently have a Vetta (with the Vetta II Firmware and the Armin Mod) and I also have Pod Farm 2. I have been using both for the last few years and am very happy with my tones. I also play bass and I recently got rid if my bass amp. I have been thinking lately about what I will do when my Vetta dies (I am hearing support is non existent and parts are almost impossible to find). My initial thought was to buy a Pod X3 Pro to use for my bass rig and replace the Vetta in the future. I am way stoked they included the bass models with the X3 and really wish they would have done this with the Vetta.

Well, I began researching the Pod HD (since I don't know shit about it) and discovered there is only 1 bass model (wtf?). It was only recently released right? Does anyone know if Line 6 is planning to release any more bass models? I also don't like that the HD doesn't have a 5150 model (probably my fav. on the Vetta). What is everyone using for their high gain tones? Also the HD has dual amp mode right?

I also started looking into impulses recently...are there any processors that allow you to load impulses without using a comp/laptop?

Sorry to be so long winded....I appreciate any help you guys have.

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
how about the Q-filter? that has band pass. I think i remember one of the flangers having the ability to not modulate, and just have a single static sound, and then moving the depth knob will do the "modulating" instead.

I've tried the Q, it's not the same as a synth with an LFO.

LolloBlaskhyrt

HD Pro abuser
Reaction score
Hey guys, very late to the game here (sorry). I have several questions and I would appreciate some advice.

I currently have a Vetta (with the Vetta II Firmware and the Armin Mod) and I also have Pod Farm 2. I have been using both for the last few years and am very happy with my tones. I also play bass and I recently got rid if my bass amp. I have been thinking lately about what I will do when my Vetta dies (I am hearing support is non existent and parts are almost impossible to find). My initial thought was to buy a Pod X3 Pro to use for my bass rig and replace the Vetta in the future. I am way stoked they included the bass models with the X3 and really wish they would have done this with the Vetta.

Well, I began researching the Pod HD (since I don't know shit about it) and discovered there is only 1 bass model (wtf?). It was only recently released right? Does anyone know if Line 6 is planning to release any more bass models? I also don't like that the HD doesn't have a 5150 model (probably my fav. on the Vetta). What is everyone using for their high gain tones? Also the HD has dual amp mode right?

I also started looking into impulses recently...are there any processors that allow you to load impulses without using a comp/laptop?

Sorry to be so long winded....I appreciate any help you guys have.

At the moment there's only 1 amp model and there's no 5150. L6 will release new firmware ... one day. I hope there'll be 5150 and some others Hi-gain amps. I use for Hi-gain tone the Engl Fireball sim with its cabinet. Sounds great for me. Yes, HD has dual-amp mode. I also hope L6 will add the possibility to load custom IRs in the HD device.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
The 1 bass amp is pretty versatile, though. Also, the uber and recto models are great. And mixing the recto with a little jcm800 makes it even better.

meambobbo

Reaction score
As for the LFO thing, I don't know why I never though about this, but you should be able to attach an LFO to the external expression pedal connection, then assign it to the Manual parameter on a Flanger, set Rate to 0% and Depth to taste (I'd use 50% or higher). You could also use a Wah pedal with around 50% mix, but that's not going to get you a comb filter - it's going to sound like an auto-wah.

meambobbo

Reaction score

meambobbo

Reaction score

Two Notes Torpedo
DAR FB-1 (if it is ever actually produced - DO NOT PRE-ORDER)
Axe-FX (Standard/Ultra/II)
GSP1101 (w/ custom firmware)

PodHdBean

Reaction score
so im listening to the new monuments album gnosis
anyone know if browne used the pod hd on this album?sounds like it to me lol

Paolosev91

Reaction score
Hi I am using Pod hd 500 since last xmas and I have spent a LOT of time trying to get a good hi-gain sound with my ibanez rg470, I tried changing everything from impedance settings, to second imput (auto,guitar,aux,variax...) , to every possibile setting... I also changed my guitar strings with different gauges and nothing helped (now I'm back with eb regular slinkys).. I wasn't happy until yesterday I made my big discovery.

I have found that if your sound is muddy with every high gain amplifier or it is very hard to listen to it without losing your ears (very boomy lows and harshy highs) i have the solution for you:
maybe I have very bassy/muddy pickups (they are ibanez stock INF1 and INF2) but the final solution i have found (thanks also to meambobbo's guides and patches!) is:
1) set input 1 to guitar and input 2 to variax
2) set impedance to auto
3) do not use pad switcher, leave it on normal, it kills your dynamics
4) (and most important) PUT A MID FOCUS EQ and cut almost all the lows!!
If you want to get a modern mesa/bogner sound, use this chain:

MID focus EQ with Hipass freq to 100% and Hipass Q to 0!!! (I know, it's an extreme setting but cleans my sound in a fantastic way!). Leave all the highs where they are, so use Low pass freq to 100% and Q to 0%, then adjust the gain so that you get a good response from your amp.. I use 60/70 but really depends on your pickup output.
Then use a treadplate/bomber uber with gain at 60-70 and play with the knobs to get your sound, just be sure that you leave the treble at least at 50. I like using 57 on xs with treadplate cab to have a full spectrum of frequencies, then if you want you can leave the cab parameters at default and if you want to clean you sound more and more you can add another mid focus eq to reduce lows and highs, try moving the hi and low pass with both Q's at 0.
Last important thing: be sure not to CLIP the effects! In Meambobbo's guide everything is explained really well and the most critical clipping that happens in this chain is after the amp! leave the "volume" of the amp very low, and boost the signal with a studio eq with gain at maximum.
Now my leads are so powerful and bright from the lowest string to the thinnest at the 24th fret, even with the neck pickup, which was soooo muddy on the lowest string, and also full chords and power chords are... WOW! I think I'm sort of simulating a really trebly pickup, but this cleans every amp in the pod hd and now I'm happy with it. Think of a Mark Tremonti/Synyster Gates sound, it's the only way I've found to reach that type of tone. To get a Petrucci-esque sound, just use mid focus eq in front of the amp with hi-pass on 40-50 and play with Q setting (but always leave lowpass at 100%), or use the same settings of the chain above and turn down your guitar tone knob (another important factor in tone tweaking), it really "petruccizes" my sound with my ibanez :).
With the heavy equalizer as first block in my chain, now I can load the amps with line6 default settings and play! They were horrible settings before! And I can finally use my akg k 240 headphones without hurting my ears after 2 or 3 hours of playing. (the very low frequencies created bad noises and fizzes, not very noticeable at first, over the guitar sound that made my playing unconfortable during long sessions)
If you don't like the mid-eq I have found another way (thanks to meambobbo's Van halen patches) you can take a Tube Drive with Bass at 0, mids at 30-40 and treble at 70, with drive at minimum, push it with a studio eq (be careful, don't clip it!!!) then you have a devastating lead sound or rythm but with a really softer attack. If you want more realistic sound, heavy equalize the cabs and mics like meambobbo, (I'm not good at equalizing, I just take his patches and put a 100-100 mid focus eq in front of them :) )
Hope this helps!

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Does anyone else have trouble getting smooth lead tones to cut through the rhythm?
Especially with the ENGL?

The more 'gritty' lead tones I have are nice and all, but I want something smoother but I end up having to increase them like 12db in order to be audible.
Anyone know what I mean?

Try the same as your rhythm tone but with a different cab or mic. Or both, and tweak from there. Try to find one that sits in the frequencies not as heavily used by the rhythm.