This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leuchty

Previously CYBERSYN
Reaction score
Behringer, Rocktron, Voodoo, Boss, etc. would all work.

However, the Shortboard is just WAY easier...

EDIT: Damn Ricky! your like an Ninja Eagle in this place! :lol:

JoshuaVonFlash

SSBRO.org regular
Reaction score
Or tech 21. Or even behringer has one for around $40.
Thanks Rick your like a god of all things Pod :lol:

Behringer, Rocktron, Voodoo, Boss, etc. would all work.

However, the Shortboard is just WAY easier...

EDIT: Damn Ricky! your like an Ninja Eagle in this place! :lol:
I guess I'll get the Shortboard.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
So here's a neat little tidbit of info.. When Line 6 was making the POD HD they ONLY updated the amp. All the cabs, mics, and effects are from the X3. This definitely explains a little bit. But my source for this info also let me know that Line 6 aims to update the cabs and mics in time. Let's hope it's soon!

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
So here's a neat little tidbit of info.. When Line 6 was making the POD HD they ONLY updated the amp. All the cabs, mics, and effects are from the X3. This definitely explains a little bit. But my source for this info also let me know that Line 6 aims to update the cabs and mics in time. Let's hope it's soon!

F--king assholes, they are. I doubt I'll live to see the update! Imagine how much better this thing could be if there was no need for two cabs to even out tones? Ugh. What a joke. Last product I'm buying from Line 6, no doubt.

Innervision

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't buy that. I own a POD X3 and HD and there are way more new things in the HD than just remodeled amps like additional mics (there are only 4 mics in the X3), effects... I know the X3 cabs quite well and they don't sound like the ones in the HD, so I guess they made new impulses for the HD, it's not like it was the longest/hardest part of the work. On the other hand my crystal ball tells me they spend more dev time on the pres than on the cabs.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
yeah, I can confirm the cabs and mics are NOT the same in any way. They sound completely different. I had an X3L for a LONG time before I got the HD500, and there is no comparison between them, and they sound completely different.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
TBH I couldn't care less about the cabs and mics. All I want is a goddamn 5150 sim and I'll be happy. I've gotten amazing tones by bypassing the cabs and using external solid state IRs.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

no source, no truth...sounds like something someone made up on an online forum to seem "in the know"

Captain Butterscotch

Reaction score
F--king assholes, they are. I doubt I'll live to see the update! Imagine how much better this thing could be if there was no need for two cabs to even out tones? Ugh. What a joke. Last product I'm buying from Line 6, no doubt.

I've gone from satisfied to looking at my unit with displeasure whenever I think about it.

Ocara-Jacob

SSO Recluse
Reaction score

Yeah that's bull, especially for the mics, because there are like 10 guitar amp mics on the HD and only 4 on the X3. Also the treadplate cabs on the two sound ENTIRELY different, as that cab was my favorite on the X3 and became my LEAST favorite on the HD.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
Every time I've all but given up on my pod, I try something new. I had given up unit and then made my Marshall patch and even that plexi patch. Is it the best tone I could possibly have? Probably not. But I find new ways to make things better all the time. This thread has gone from "look at what this $500 unit can do!" To "I wish this $500 unit was an axe-fx"

There was obviously a reason that you liked the pod in the first place. Go back to those days and try new things with the amp models that you liked right away. If your still not happy, then try some new models like I've been doing.

Look at it this way, if you had a tube amp, you would be playing around with mic placement a ton before you found what worked best. And you would only have one amp. The gives you instantly accessible options for less than the cost of a good mic and preamp.

Do we want a 5150 model? Yes. Do we need one? Not really. I've gotten tones out of several models that are extremely close to the tse x50, and everyone raves about how close to the real thing it is. My Marshall patch is one of them. So quit yer bitchin!!

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Every time I've all but given up on my pod, I try something new. I had given up unit and then made my Marshall patch and even that plexi patch. Is it the best tone I could possibly have? Probably not. But I find new ways to make things better all the time. This thread has gone from "look at what this $500 unit can do!" To "I wish this $500 unit was an axe-fx"

There was obviously a reason that you liked the pod in the first place. Go back to those days and try new things with the amp models that you liked right away. If your still not happy, then try some new models like I've been doing.

Look at it this way, if you had a tube amp, you would be playing around with mic placement a ton before you found what worked best. And you would only have one amp. The gives you instantly accessible options for less than the cost of a good mic and preamp.

Do we want a 5150 model? Yes. Do we need one? Not really. I've gotten tones out of several models that are extremely close to the tse x50, and everyone raves about how close to the real thing it is. My Marshall patch is one of them. So quit yer bitchin!!

All valid points. I think some of us are just annoyed that the HD line took a couple of steps backward, particularly in the Treadplate cab, which should be a staple of any modeling unit, as well as the inexplicable lack of a 5150 sim, which the XT line had and did quite well.

Apart from that, I just feel like sometimes working with the HD as a component of a larger chain- mixing it with impulses, outside EQ or power amp sims, etc.- sometimes reveals the silliness of the modeling. Like, the Treadplate cab + amp sound great together...only because the former lacks any bass whatsoever and the the latter has way too much bass. Why didn't they just even that out? They obviously knew what they were doing. Similarly, the XXL cab sounds fan-goddamn-tastic, but has a crazy amount of bass. And while that pronounced low-end thump is characteristic of an ENGL cab, they totally knew what they were writing into the software. If Line 6 wants the HD series to be taken seriously as a competitor vis-a-vis other modeling units, they didn't have to make it sound like an Axe FX, but I do wish they had been less capricious and strange with some of the components in the software.

The XT series was better in that regard, but inferior in almost every other way, so on balance it's still a leap forward and a great little low-cost unit. But the widespread acknowledgement that you have to tweak the bejesus out of the HD line to find "That Tone" that we've all eventually found with lots of trial and error could really be mitigated if they just spent a bit of time ironing out the kinks, and that's something they could rather easily do via firmware.

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
I've been considering an HD500X to replace my G System in my guitar rig, so I've been putting one through considerable paces to make sure it can do everything I want it to. Yesterday I checked out its bass capabilities, partially to see if it would work as part of my bass rig as well, and partly to see if I could actually use that for my Treblebass (like a Chapman Stick/Warr guitar). It would work great for either of those purposes, except that Line 6 apparently decided that bassists can go .... themselves, because there is only ONE bass amp model, and it's not very good. If they're not making bass-specific products any more, it seems to me it would behoove them to not completely ignore bass in the products they do still make.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
A friend who used to work at GC (and a few other shops over the years) had once told me that the aside the from the Bass POD XT, the amps and other bass specific stuff from them doesn't sell very well...not a fact, but could explain why support is not a priority...I'd definitely like more options for home recording. For bass you can always bypass an amp all together and use just comp/EQ like a DI input