PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
Yeah, if you're recording bass the HD is not where it's at. Just buy the Ampeg SVT software when it's on sale, or use effects in your DAW with the TSE Sansamp sim. You can dial in a nice tone with some tweaks for live usage, though, like dual-cabbing it and using one of the high-gain models for grit.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daedae

Reaction score
I've been considering an HD500X to replace my G System in my guitar rig, so I've been putting one through considerable paces to make sure it can do everything I want it to. Yesterday I checked out its bass capabilities, partially to see if it would work as part of my bass rig as well, and partly to see if I could actually use that for my Treblebass (like a Chapman Stick/Warr guitar). It would work great for either of those purposes, except that Line 6 apparently decided that bassists can go .... themselves, because there is only ONE bass amp model, and it's not very good. If they're not making bass-specific products any more, it seems to me it would behoove them to not completely ignore bass in the products they do still make.

I'm not familiar with a Treblebass, but I use an HD500 with my Chapman Stick (not that I do anything fancy with it, but it works well enough anyway). I think Rob Martino said he does as well.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
The clean models on the HD work perfectly for bass. I've gotten an excellent clean bass tone as well as an excellent grindy bass tone.

Kristianx510

Reaction score
I work for Guitar Center, and I was told by a line 6 rep himself. Sorry you guys want a reputable source, but you can imagine I'm not exactly supposed to tell people that. Take it as you want, but I heard it straight from a Line 6 employee.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
My ears tell me its BS....and I doubt your rep knows any more about the modeling than what was on the marketing sheets.

Innervision

Reaction score
I work for Guitar Center, and I was told by a line 6 rep himself. Sorry you guys want a reputable source, but you can imagine I'm not exactly supposed to tell people that. Take it as you want, but I heard it straight from a Line 6 employee.

Was this person the head POD HD developer or was he only the guy keeping the Line 6 office safe at night?

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
The company's beta testers won't even give hints about stuff on their own forums due to NDAs, and I seriously doubt that anyone who actually knows something is gonna tell it to some random GC employee at the risk of losing a job and being sued.

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
I've been trying to use the line in of the hd500 but the sound of whatever is plugged is affected by the pedal chain. Anyone knows how to avoid this?

TimothyLeary

Tune in, Drop out
Reaction score
Can you rephrase this? I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to accomplish.

The 1/8" cd input is unaffected by the signal chain if that's what your going for.

Sorry for the bad phrasing.

I think I found my problem. I was connecting the iPod to the AUX IN instead of the 1/8" CD INPUT, like RickyCigs said.

Thanks

Poltergeist

Reaction score
HD500+Redwirez Mesa 4x12 cab. I used Ola Englund's "handjob" patch for the rhythm guitars. Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.com/jm2484/god-is-dead-life-is-absurd

Your tone's sound great... If its not too much to ask, the mics you're using in Redwirez are a SM57 on cone or cap? and Royer on cone? And distances around 2"?

Off topic:
By the way, I'm from the Canton area, so Akron's just a stones throw from me.. I'd be interested in seeing your band at a local gig... You post dates? Facebook?

jmeezle

Reaction score
Your tone's sound great... If its not too much to ask, the mics you're using in Redwirez are a SM57 on cone or cap? and Royer on cone? And distances around 2"?

Off topic:
By the way, I'm from the Canton area, so Akron's just a stones throw from me.. I'd be interested in seeing your band at a local gig... You post dates? Facebook?

Thanks dude. I have a 57 .5" on the cap and a Neumann KM84 1" on the cap edge. I'm using EMG 808's in my Agile Intrepid Pro 830. As far as the patch goes I really didn't change anything, just EQ on the guitar bus to make them sit right in the mix. I used the Soldano 412B Eminence Legend cab for this track... I really don't know what I'm doing specifically other than trying a bunch of different shit to find the tone that I'm after lol.

My band's Facebook is http://facebook.com/replicasproject. If you ever make it up to Akron hit me up! Our rehearsal spot is in Massillon which isn't too far away from you.

RickyCigs

Banned
Reaction score
It looks like I'll have some music to share for Christmas. I'm finishing up a song with my Marshall patch. A combo of the all pod tone mixed with the redwirez/tpa tone. As well as my grind bass patch. Stay tuned!! This is some of my best work. Tone and song-wise.

Miijk

Walking E-string
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm trying to work on a bass patch with the octave effect to play some Gorillaz! Altho I just can't seem to make it sound good, the Bass Octaver makes it sound very muddy and distorted, anyone got any tips for a good sounding octave effect?