daedae

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm planning to get a HD desktop tonight.
I have a question, can i split the output into two settings?
With cab sim & without cab sim
here is my signal chain:
1. POD HD Desktop - ART SLA1 power amp - 112 cab (no cab sim)
2. USB, or XLR to DI. (with cab sim)

is this possible?

THanks

Assuming the HD desktop has both an L mono and R mono output, I think the answer is yes as long as you don't want to use dual amp models. Put your amp and effects on one signal path with nothing after the mixer block, and then send that output to your external power amp. Both channels will go out over USB to your DAW, but you can just select the dry channel to record from.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BillCosby

Reaction score
Looks like the regular POD HD is gone for good, unfortunately.

EDIT: By the way, when I tried to paste the Musiciansfriend link for the POD HD500, it re-directs to the POD HD500X. Even when it try to remove the X from the URL, it'll re-direct.

Good thing I just bought my HD500 from zzounds for $360. I had one from when they first came out and got rid of it at the end of 2012 and just recently started REALLY missing having one. Then, they knocked down the price, so I jumped on it.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score
I hate to admit it, but I've been really enjoying the Elektrik model. Totally stupid name, but it djents really well and has a great low end.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
While feeling like making an acoustic-sounding tone, I was watching Devin Townsend acoustic videos. I then decided that Devin Townsend is love, Devin Townsend is life while remembering that octoverb is a magical effect and wound up with this.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/oceansbuiltonsinkingships/acousticlean-tone-test[/SC]

It's still kinda muffled and sounds like it needs more presence or something, but since I'm not using an amp model for the patch I'm kinda stuck so any tips would be welcome. :lol:

brutalslam

SLAMZ
Reaction score
Could anyone explain to me how to connect my POD HD500 to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface? I'm trying to run it in stereo with two 1/4" cables.

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have been using a POD HD500 for a few months now and am really enjoying all of its possibilities. I am due to play a show in a month however with my new band and still do not have a decent rig. I am interested in running my pod through a power amp into a decent cabinet. My question is should I go with a tube power amp or a solid state power amp? and what cab runs the best with them? I am mainly playing heavy metal live.

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey dude, you only need to post in one category. This would be the category you're after.

There's heaps of different choices, so some questions would be, what's your budget first. And what sort of heavy metal? Any examples? Bands?

Oreo_Death

Blackbird
Reaction score
So once again, I am faced with another dilemma. I was in search of a few different pieces of gear. I needed to upgrade on the quality of my amps for one, and I also wanted to begin to record my own material.

I was initially thinking about looking into amp head-cab since I really want to gear up for gigs and then picking up an Audiobox USB interface for recording. I looked into POD recently, and it made me begin to question whether it would be worth it to get a POD HD Pro, which I could utilize as not only as a platform for recording, but also as a preamp (although that would require me to get a cab if I choose to gig, or some sort of home speaker set-up for when I am at home). I'm try to upgrade from my two combo amps that I have been playing for the past 8 or so years. I really want to take the time now to refine my tone, and the 65w bass amp and 15w thrift shop crate arent holding up too well

Once again, I just want to thank this community again. Im still new to SS.org but I am blown away by the sheer helpfulness and knowledge of everyone. You guys rock :hbang:

mcdj0nt

Reaction score
i would like to keep it around or under 800. cheaper the better in all honesty. i just need a nice power amp and cab combo that would work well with a heavy sound. i guess some bands would be like wretched and the faceless. but i do want to be able to have some of the "djenty" type sound as well that the contortionist and veil of maya achieve

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Honestly, it really depends on what you expect to get out of the POD HD Pro. You'll have to spend a bit more money now unless you find one used as only the Pro X is being sold by retailers (since the Pro was removed just this past week). I honestly do believe that they are great pieces of gear to have, and that one would serve the average guitarist to an amazing level. I have mine, and I still have use for it even though I use a Kemper if that makes it easier to understand what I mean.

To sum it up, the pod hd pro x has all of the things most players would ever need in a nice rackmountable preamp form, and for the value I say it is most definitely worth the value.

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Could anyone explain to me how to connect my POD HD500 to my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface? I'm trying to run it in stereo with two 1/4" cables.

Run the stereo outs of your pod into your front inputs of the scarlett 2i2 with matched gain.

Oreo_Death

Blackbird
Reaction score
Honestly, it really depends on what you expect to get out of the POD HD Pro. You'll have to spend a bit more money now unless you find one used as only the Pro X is being sold by retailers (since the Pro was removed just this past week). I honestly do believe that they are great pieces of gear to have, and that one would serve the average guitarist to an amazing level. I have mine, and I still have use for it even though I use a Kemper if that makes it easier to understand what I mean.

To sum it up, the pod hd pro x has all of the things most players would ever need in a nice rackmountable preamp form, and for the value I say it is most definitely worth the value.

Yeah I mean it really seems like it'd be perfect for what I am trying to achieve. I wanted something that I could use for both recording and playing, and that could potentially be used for gigging as well. the HD Pro just seems like it'll be a good fit for that, and I did find a used one for sale, but im trying not to dive into it without hearing some other advice or experiences from others. But yeah I saw the whole HD Pro X switch, and I don't know if it's necessarily worth the extra money to get that from what I've been reading elsewhere in the forums.

Thanks for your advice though man. It really does help to hear from others.

brutalslam

SLAMZ
Reaction score
Run the stereo outs of your pod into your front inputs of the scarlett 2i2 with matched gain.

Thanks, the front inputs on the scarlett aren't 1/4" , I think they are xlr. Do I need to buy two xlr cables? I was told before that I could hook it up with 2 1/4" cables.

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
Pardon me for starting off answering a question with another question, but what constitutes worth to you? Maybe it's whether it will serve your purposes or not, or if you'll get as much use out of it as expected give the price point you buy something for.

I got my HD Pro a few months ago, and I've been really enjoying it. After finding out about them around 1.5-2 years ago, I'd lusted after them for quite some time but never had the money to get one. Once I finally acquired one though, it lived up to the expectations I'd set for it after countless of watching and listening to demos and web-reading about it. I've gotten some tones I'm pretty darn happy with out of it without using cab impulses, and IMO the unit has a lot of flexibility. I'd say for the price I bought it (albeit used, but in near perfect condition), the HD Pro's completely worth the money. A massive step up from the Mustang II amp that I had before it.

Aside from it being solely a preamp to be used in conjunction with a power amp + cab rig, as a recording tool it's been invaluable as well. I love the fact that I can go to my room, power up my computer and get straight to recording if I have an idea for a song. Another really useful aspect of it is the usual "consistent tone" point that gets thrown around a lot when talking about modelers like the Pod HD, Axe-Fx, etc.. I know how my tone is gonna sound at all times when I power up the unit and turn on a specific patch. The other great point that also gets brought up when talking about modelers is how you're not limited tonally to the characteristics of one single amp. I can go from my ballsy Recto patch, to softer, SLO crunch lead, to my Blackface Deluxe post-rock patch all with a couple of turns of a knob. The I/O options are great too. I just bought myself a condenser mic to start recording vocals, and the Pod's being used as my interface, so it's all just a really convenient setup.

Budget comes in to play when you're deciding this too, however, as well as if that budget is flexible enough to account for multiple uses of it (i.e. playing live, recording at home, or both.) As you said, the expenses can add up when you want to do one or both of those things, but there's plenty of options for both uses. For recording, if you get a set of monitors there's a lot of solid options <$400. I love my M-Audio BX5's, but there's also things like HS80s, D5s, Rokits, the list goes on. As for playing live, this route can get more expensive a lot quicker, but good cabs can be found on the cheap as well. Throw in a solid state power amp like a Carvin DCM, ART SLA1, or Rocktron Velocity 100/300, and you've got a very solid (no pun intended) rig.

Again, like I said, it depends on how much you want to spend and whether you think that money would be better invested in a live rig or starting a home recording setup.

TL;DR- With some tweaking, it's definitely possible to get some nice tones out of the Pod HD, and they give you pretty good bang for your buck. :2c: Is it as good as an Axe-Fx/Kemper? Well, beauty's in the eye of the beholder; maybe the Pod won't sound as genuinely tube-like as those, but maybe tube amp goodness isn't all you care to hear at all times.
Could Line 6's support be better? Oh you betcha.
Is the Pod HD a good starting for someone looking to get into the whole modelling rig world? I'd say so! Even if you end up not liking it and find out an actual amp is more your style, you can ditch the Pod and put the money from selling it towards a different rig. But for the flexibility and many uses the Pod offers, in my opinion it's at least worth a shot. :)

Fretless

Knob Fiddler
Reaction score
Thanks, the front inputs on the scarlett aren't 1/4" , I think they are xlr. Do I need to buy two xlr cables? I was told before that I could hook it up with 2 1/4" cables.

The XLR should have an opening for 1/4" in the center of it unless I am mistaken.

Randyrhoads123

Got a 7
Reaction score
I'd look into the HD500. As far as I know, it's essentially the same as the HD Pro, but you get the footswitch/expression pedal built in, and it's cheaper. I think the HD Pro just has some more output options, but they have the same amp/cab/mic models.