Locking Tuners for a Gibson Les Paul 2002 Standard Plus

• Thread starter ypaul123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ypaul123

Reaction score
Hi,
I don't know what's wrong with my guitar - I tune it, but after playing 3-4 chords, it comes out of tune...I took her for a setup like 3 months ago.
What locking tuners are recommended, please ? price is not an issue, just seeking reliability.
Thank you in advance.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks... Do you happen to have a video demonstrating this? I'm a total idiot.

But seriously, they make string stretching hand tools called the string stretcha, they are like 14$. You can just bend the balls out of them on every fret in the meantime.

Also, if it's coming out of tune with no bends played then locking tuners will not help you. They are only good for ease of string changes and using fewer rotations so there is less string material being bound and bit (bighted?) on by other parts of the string when coiled around the post- most frequently a problem with big bends which cause a tension around the posts but no affirmative compression to reverse it.

Last edited:

ypaul123

Reaction score

But seriously, they make string stretching hand tools called the string stretcha, they are like 14$. You can just bend the balls out of them on every fret in the meantime.

Also, if it's coming out of tune with no bends played then locking tuners will not help you. They are only good for ease of string changes and using fewer rotations so there is less string material being bound and bit (bighted?) on by other parts of the string when coiled around the post- most frequently a problem with big bends which cause a tension around the posts but no affirmative compression to reverse it.

Thanks I'll buy that too.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Things that will help:
Stretching strings.

Some abrasive cord through the nut slots could smooth them if they otherwise seem well cut (and if they are not, then get that fixed with nut files of course).

Some LPs just need a bit of lube in the nut. The Big Bends stuff is nice and easy to apply, but chapstick or Vaseline or whatever works.

Things that won't help:
Locking tuners

Latest posts