Lol another Reverb leak: Epiphone Kirk Hammett Flying V (black and purple)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Estilo

Reaction score
Unboxed mine today. Setup out of the box was surprisingly decent. I don't see any glaring issues. My fretboard is darker than the promo pictures suggest which is nice. I like the bridge as well. Felt immediately easy to play. Didn't see any glaring finish flaws. So far I think it's a keeper, but some issues you just cant tell until you have used it for a while.
Your pics look great. But is there anything off about it? In a way I can't articulate, my Olive Drab Epi V is well-made but feels toyish. Maybe it's the thick poly. And maybe the pickguard that is 3-ply but flimsy. The pots are CTS but the knobs feel cheap. The 6th tuner rattles acoustically but is not audible through amp. I even like the Probucker 3 - used to hate it but then I tuned it to B and I like it for low tunings somehow. I hope you don't share the negatives I did with this KH one as I'm considering it as well. How do you like the T Tops?

Yul Brynner

Fabricated Background
Reaction score
How are you finding the unpotted pickups under heavy gain at loud volumes?

complex-barb.0t

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Your pics look great. But is there anything off about it? In a way I can't articulate, my Olive Drab Epi V is well-made but feels toyish. Maybe it's the thick poly. And maybe the pickguard that is 3-ply but flimsy. The pots are CTS but the knobs feel cheap. The 6th tuner rattles acoustically but is not audible through amp. I even like the Probucker 3 - used to hate it but then I tuned it to B and I like it for low tunings somehow. I hope you don't share the negatives I did with this KH one as I'm considering it as well. How do you like the T Tops?
Nothing in it really stands out as flimsy, the switch and knobs perhaps are not amazing, but seems to be similar to what you see on guitars around the same price.

The bridge I like. Seems really easy to rest on that palm mute sweetspot.

I do like the pickups. It has pretty good clarity compared to other guitars I have with 15-16k bridge pickups. Certainly a more vintage sound though. I won’t be replacing the pickups because I feel they are nicely balanced. I use a boost pedal of some sort most of the time so the lower output is not a problem for me.

When it comes to things like finish flaws I try to intentionally not get super anal about it. I did a once over on the body and didn’t notice anything worth complaining about. Some rough edges on the pickguard and truss rod cover. Other reviews pointed this out as well.

No chips or janky paint from what I can see, but I didn’t take an obsessive look yet. The poly does not seem unusually thick, but it’s def a different feel than my strat that has a thin nitro finish.

Fret ends could use a bit touching up. I will do this when I swap strings. This area could be better for the price. The nut on the edges needs to be rounded over a bit too. The nut otherwise was cut well.

I didn’t pay for any extra setup, but the guitar was totally playable out of the box. Had some relief, action was decent and intonation was good. Likely I will put new strings on and slightly lower the action.

The Mustaine Kramer and Ghosthorse I got (which came from the same factory likely) were poor to unplayable out of the box. Every single point of adjustment needed to be made.

Can’t speak to if these are coming out of the box nicer or it’s just sheer luck.

Overall I am happy with the guitar, but I have never owned a $2400-$15,000 Gibson to compare it to. There is always a honeymoon effect in play so I can’t give a true impression until I’ve played it for many hours. So consider this just an initial impression.

Since this guitar might always be out of stock for a while if you are on the fence just buy from Guitar Center or Sweetwater and just return that shit if you don’t like it. I had no problems with Sweetwater returning a guitar cab so a guitar is easy in comparison.

How are you finding the unpotted pickups under heavy gain at loud volumes?
They are really not potted? I have only played with them up to around 90dB so I can’t speak to feedback. I don’t play with a band really so I will likely never play at stage volume or over a loud drummer.

Latest posts