Lol another Reverb leak: Epiphone Kirk Hammett Flying V (black and purple)

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
F9jrQX7WAAAad-G

F9jrQX9WQAAR6z0

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I'm impressed how accurate they were to the real thing. Down to the T-Tops, Stars guitars bridge, and even the late '70s/early '80s headstock.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Love the purple one, but I had pickup rings on pickguards. I know that’s a thing, but it always strikes me as redundant.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Love the purple one, but I had pickup rings on pickguards. I know that’s a thing, but it always strikes me as redundant.
There was actually a utility to them. Given Vs still had the neck tilt of other Gibsons, the rings helped angle the pickups. Not to mention you usually had to have pickups set stupid fucking high due to said neck tilt.
I also believe the neck tilt issue was even *worse* on those late '60s - early '80 Vs.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
There was actually a utility to them. Given Vs still had the neck tilt of other Gibsons, the rings helped angle the pickups. Not to mention you usually had to have pickups set stupid fucking high due to said neck tilt.
I also believe the neck tilt issue was even *worse* on those late '60s - early '80 Vs.
Oh wow, I didn't know that. Well, now I hate them less, lol. I'm generally not a fan of pickup rings, but the pure vitriol is really reserved for 7 and 8 strings. If there's a purpose to them, and they're on 6 strings (and if it's a classic design) then I don't mind so much. That's interesting about the neck tilt!

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
The thing about those 70s Vs is that there was zero neck tilt. The fretboard was like half an inch or more up off the body. Which looks like it's not the case from the side pic of the purple one.

But they finally got all the rest of the shit to look like a proper 70s V. I would take it over the current horse shit Gibson USA is calling a "70s" V.

But being a Kurt Hammond model it will probably be 2k European dollars.

Yul Brynner

Custom title
Reaction score
I really really really want the black one just because it's the closest thing to a full 70s spec reissue V outside the custom shop.

But I honestly couldn't care less about the metallica signature part. I'm sure that by itself adds a few hundred.

I wonder if it will be the same as the custom shop doing runs of 70s Vs after they made his original custom shop version. Maybe it's worth waiting for them to do Epiphone 70s V runs in different colors with the proper bridge, pickup covers, witch hat knobs, and without the poker chip and pickup rings.

A silver burst 70s Epiphone V would literally be right up my back alley.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
The thing about those 70s Vs is that there was zero neck tilt. The fretboard was like half an inch or more up off the body. Which looks like it's not the case from the side pic of the purple one.

But they finally got all the rest of the shit to look like a proper 70s V. I would take it over the current horse shit Gibson USA is calling a "70s" V.

But being a Kurt Hammond model it will probably be 2k European dollars.
Yeah I couldn't remember the specifics of the neck angle, just that the necks were set much higher than they are nowadays which also has to do with the fact those '70s-spec Vs were also pancake thin. So yeah, the pickup rings were there to remedy a design flaw.

Your guitar heroes (Kirk Hammett, James Hetfield, KK Downing, Michael Schenker, Andy Powell, etc) had to use those rings to solve a flaw, and then you got guys like me that grew to love the look *because* of them and it just stuck lol

Marked Man

Reaction score
I can't see purple for myself, but the black one is cool.

I haven't kept up with Ephiphone in ages. How good are the recent MIC ones?