Long Lasting/Durable Picks

• Thread starter Blue1970Cutlass
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Blue1970Cutlass

emberwolfmusic.com
Reaction score
So... I wear out standard picks like no-ones business.

I tried going thicker & thicker (don't use anything under 1.00mm these days) and still they become unusable too fast.

So recently, I bought an assortment of Horn/Bone picks (between 2.0 & 2.5mm) and even they are wearing faster than I expected...

So I've now ordered (hasn't arrived yet) a pick made from petrified wood (@ $12 buck a pop I'm only ordering one until I see how I like it) so I'll see how that does...

Anyone else have this same problem? What picks have you found to be the most durable/longest lasting?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dr Muerte21

Death From Above
Reaction score
The best picks every in my opinion are gravity picks. I have been using the same pick every day for about 2 months and its just starting to ware out. They also come in many different transparent colors.

Underworld

Reaction score
Gravity pics hold it way better than any other pick I have tried yet. Well, I did not tried the expensive rare shit pics, but still, these had been a nice improvement for me.

Floppystrings

banned
Reaction score
Ultex Jazz III should last...forever?

If you can't get used to Jazz III's, I feel for you. I remember back when picks wore out, and were always a little different in shape.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
V-picks.... done! have all shapes including the jazz 3 style.

Luke Acacia

STRAYA
Reaction score

If you can't get used to Jazz III's, I feel for you. I remember back when picks wore out, and were always a little different in shape.

Exactly this ^^

I think its smarter to find a pick you like and buy a bucket of them (I got a bucket of jazz 3s for like 60 bucks) and use one until its lost or worn and just throw it in the bin and use another of your 2 trillion picks.
Much smarter than buying picks that you dont like or are not comfortable with for the fact that they last forever. :spock:

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
I would stay away from wooden picks, they wear out much faster.

How about PHD picks? If you wear one of them out you're doing something horribly wrong. :D

JPhoenix19

Playing life by ear
Reaction score
I just got a set of Dunlop Carbon Fiber Max Grip thingys. They are my favorite pick so far. They are so tough I'm finding I don't have to pick as hard to get the same dynamic level as with the Jazz III's or Jazz III Ultex's I used to use.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score

I use these, been on the same pick now for a few months. I tend to lose more than I change with them

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
Try Dava nickel silver Rock Control, it's plastic with a metal tip, best of both world.

MrGignac

Sonderkommando
Reaction score
I use a .73mm wedgie pick

Wedgie_Picks_1_88_guitar_picks.jpg

ive had it for like 2 years, great pick. my buddy uses dava's and swears by em. its all preference i guess

jon66

Contributor
Reaction score
Another vote for Ultex Jazz III's, as others have mentioned. Not only do they last a long time, but they sound great too.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Another vote for Ultex Jazz III's, as others have mentioned. Not only do they last a long time, but they sound great too.

I just picked up a set of tortex and ultex dunlop picks to give a try. I have the Jazz III but they didn't have the ultex version so I just have the normal ones. I bought a set of Dava Jazz Picks as well. I kinda like them but they fall apart rather quickly..... :lol:

damico529

Reaction score
I use the jazz III xl stiffo's and they wear down on me in about 4days and their too small for my fat thumbs, gonna end up trying some gravity picks next.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
Honestly I don't know how people go through picks so fast. I use Max Grip Jazz III 1mm's and never wear through them. I pick hard too...

Anyways, metal or stone picks may be worth looking into!

Blue1970Cutlass

emberwolfmusic.com
Reaction score
Metal picks are sort of a last resort for me, I've never been a fan...

There's a few mentioned on here that I haven't tried yet so I'll probably be ordering some test picks soon!

Anyone tried stone? Got one on order but not here yet...