Looking for a good Distortion or Overdrive pedal to go with my amp and 7 String?

TheMattleHead

Reaction score
Hey so I'm fairly new here (By that I mean I've been a member but never posted or if I have it was a long time ago).

So I'm potentially going to be buying my first 7 String (Possibly Ibanez JB27, RG7PCMLTD or ESP LTD H-1007FR I haven't decided yet but I want a 7 string with a floyd style bridge) but I'm looking for a pedal to use along side it, I have a Blackstar HT50 HT Club 50 Head and a Blackstar HTV212 2x12 Cab at the moment (It's good enough for what I need it for right now), it's not an extremely high gain amp but I need a nice pedal to go with it to get a good 7 string tone out of. Currently using a Blackstar Dual Pedal.

I mostly play Metal (Sound wise think Triviums Shogun album or their most recent one) but I am not sure what I should go for so hopefully people on here with far more experience than me with gear can offer some ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KnightBrolaire

Say yes to Chugs
Reaction score
Cheaper options= boss MT2, MXR super badass, MXR Custom Badass Modded OD
more expensive= Maxon OD808x, Airis Savage drive

The MT2 is great for getting a thicker high gain tone (especially if you get a modded one). Surprisingly versatile but the mid frequency knob can be finicky and drastically change the sound for the worse.
Super badass is great for a grittier high gain tone and has a lot of versatility due to the individual bass/mid/treble knobs.
MXR CBMOD is also really good if all you want is an aggressive overdrive.
maxon od808x (not terribly versatile but excellent for metal). The OD808x has a lot of gain on tap and has a pretty aggressive voicing, just not terribly useful throughout its gain sweep (it gets very boxy/artifacty quickly). Voicing is pretty similar to the MXR CBMOD but works better as a clean boost.
Airis savage drive- very very aggressive distortion. Has a ton of gain on tap and can get verrrry tight sounding.

Descent

Reaction score
Look at EMMA Pisdyawot or Wampler Triple Wreck. Might as well think of changing the amp, I think these Blackstars are awfully bland.

tupesaku

Reaction score
I give my recommendations for Horizon Devices Precision Drive or Maxon OD808, for boosting and tightening your amps distortion channel.
And if you want more gain and distortion right out of the pedal then EVH 5150 OD might do the trick...could work ok with your amps clean channel to give proper distortion if the amps channels are lacking in that department.

TheMattleHead

Reaction score
Mooer 005 preamp plugged into the effects return of your amp.
Are you suggesting that I run the preamp in the effects loop and then run an OD or distortion through the front? Or just the pre amp?

I give my recommendations for Horizon Devices Precision Drive or Maxon OD808, for boosting and tightening your amps distortion channel.
And if you want more gain and distortion right out of the pedal then EVH 5150 OD might do the trick...could work ok with your amps clean channel to give proper distortion if the amps channels are lacking in that department.

Thank you I'll give those OD's a look, in terms of my amps Gain, it's not bad, the OD channel on the amp is pretty good I'm just looking for something extra to give me a great metal tone without having to buy a whole new amp which I can't afford at the moment :)

Descent

Reaction score
I'm sure he's saying bypass the HT preamp and just this...(plug your preamp of choice)

PisdYAUwot (sp correction - hehe) is actually quite transparent for distortion, I am running it over light crunch from a Peavey Windsor head right now and it sounds really good, distortion at about half. You can also use it as high gain on clean channel as well.
The logo and pedal design is also super cool :)

Beheroth

Reaction score
i'd say either get a boost/od to slam the front end and an EQ to put in the fx loop, or get a mooer/AMT preamp and plug it straight into the fx loop return (bypassing the preamp of the amp)

bracky

Contributor
Reaction score
You guys need to try the Mooer mini preamp pedals. I am completely blown away. And they are extremely versatile with the built in cab sim.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Precision Drive if you have the money. MXR CMBO (M77) if you don't. An even better investment for the price of the Precision Drive would be the Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro. Then you won't need an OD and it can replace your amp's preamp and sidetrack loop you amps clean channel.

Eden

Reaction score
Another vote for the precision drive if you can swing it. A lot of the hype is justifiable, especially for lower tunings. I used to run a basic Tube Screamer i found used and was fairly happy with it, but probably would have preferred an OD808 or something a little more modern.