Looking for a rack preamp to end the world!!!

• Thread starter coreypla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

coreypla

Reaction score
I am looking for a rack preamp that has some good distortions for heavy metal gain. At the moment I am using a BlackStar ID series guitar head which I love the sound of...I'm just looking for something that I can use in a rack without needing to always use the head.

I would like a 1u rack preamp with some good distortions. Seems that a lot of the 1u racks are either FX units (no preamp) or preamps with a focus on effect modeling and not on distortion. I don't want to use any pedals.

So far I have a few ideas: Behringer VAmp, Digitech GSP1101, and even the SL | LD rack by RNR sound. I am sure people will recommend the AXe-fx, Kemper, and the Line 6 (helix or Pod HD Pro x)...but I really don't want to have a 2 rack unit because I need the space for a poweramp as well (and the kemper powerrack is a 3u :wallbash: :realmad: )

I'd like to also not spend a crazy amount. Wondering if any knew of any good ones out there. So far the GSP1101 seems like the best option for having a plethora of tones, the question is 'are they any good?'

Let me know what you think, feel free to comment on your favorite 1u preamps and 1u poweramps fit for heavy metal, death metal, super gain, lowtuned distortion. Thanks!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Harvatt

Reaction score
Engl E530 preamp. Amazing modern metal tones. If you have a TRS jack you can use the built in 1.5W power amp for practicing too.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
+1 for the Engl. Haven't played it personally, but the guitarist in one of my bands has one. Sounds good to me. :yesway:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Huge plus 1 on the Engl. the SLLD also sounds really good from the clips. sounds like an old 2ch recto. And there's also the Marshall JMP1 if you want that soind. If you want a variety of sounds look for a Randall RM4 and some of the pre amp modules.

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I'll throw in the hafler t3 as an option. Lead channel has a very metal sound to it, no boost required. Can be picked up around $200. The cleans are solid state, I don't use them. I found mine and picked it up on a whim, been using it for my distortion tones ever since. Check out some YouTube's on it.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I was going to mention the e530 :yesway: I was tempted to get one before I bought my Kemper because I heard so many awesome clips of it. Now I have a bunch of awesome profiles of it :lol:

Pair it with a 1u power amp like a Rocktron Velocity, Mesa 20/20, Matrix, or Fryette LXII and you'd be all set with 2u of metal goodness!

vick1000

Reaction score
I have been hunting the old witch doctor Voodu Valve, but they demand a premium it seems. I am in the same boat essentially, though I don't care about rack space. I have a GSP1101, and I am picking up a Mesa 2:50 today, to see if it will do the job. The Velocity 100LTD does not go well with the GSP to my ears, either that or using them with a Mesa Rec 412 is not working right.

If the 2:50 does not give me some of that tube dynamics and "feel", I will probably get the E 530 or one of those "clones" from Russia.

Elric

Reaction score
Arg sorry originally responded Fractal but did not see 1u requirement.

In that case:
Triaxis (probably too expensive based on the OP)
Engl 530
Rocktron Voodu Valve
Rocktron Piranha
ADA MP-1 modded w/ 3.666 mod (modern metal sound)

are all options. I think the GSP1101 is quite solid based on the clips I have heard. It seems like an underrated and inexpensive unit and may be worth a play if you are looking for an all in one that is inexpensive and effective. The Rocktron Chameleon is also like a solid state Voodu Valve and is cool unit in 1u too.

Shask

Reaction score
Yep, the above post includes some of what what I had in mind:

Mesa Triaxis
Mesa Vtwin
Marshall JMP-1
ADA MP-1
Engl 530
Rocktron Voodoo Valve
Rock Chamaleon
Digitech GSP1101
Boss GX-700
Peavey Rockmaster
Peavey Tubefex
Sansamp PSA-1

Those are the main options that come to mind....

wakjob

Reaction score
I'd go used and already upgraded to firmware c63 specs. gsp1101 personally.

Then use any extra cash on a quality power amp like the Matrix.

mcleanab

Theta Sagan Swords
Reaction score
I know it's 2 rack spaces, but there's a crazy cheap ISP Theta Rack Preamp used at Guitar Center....

Reaction score
adding to the previous list, if you can find one of these

A vintage Roland GP100 or a Boss VF1. They both get the job done in heavy drive. Yes, old school blah blabla they are boss/roland type of COSM digital sound, blablabla dynamics blablabla but they work pretty well in the heavy business.

If it is PREAMP only, without FXs, for a 1u rack space, the list is complete. I'd go for a 2nd/3rd hand bigger bucks units like the Triaxis (my choice, done this a few years ago and it is here to stay). If, on the other hand, you prefer brand new gear, then the ENGL is the obvious choice.

In a preamp+poweramp only setup, the Triaxis+2:Fifty nails it all... damn... it is all up to the fingers then...

As a reminder, the Triaxis allows you to change the preset sounds without changing presets, through Continuous Control MIDI Messages. This was the deciding factor for me.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
I was going to mention the e530 :yesway: I was tempted to get one before I bought my Kemper because I heard so many awesome clips of it. Now I have a bunch of awesome profiles of it :lol:

Pair it with a 1u power amp like a Rocktron Velocity, Mesa 20/20, Matrix, or Fryette LXII and you'd be all set with 2u of metal goodness!

Pretty much this. I own the e530 and pair it up with a Mesa 20/20 and an Avatar G212 with Celestion Vintage 30's (wired in stereo). I use a Boss GT-100 in 5CM (5 cable mode) for FX and in conjuction with a RJM Mini Amp Gizmo for amp channel switching (the GT-100 controls the amp channels per patch or per one stomp of the CTL pedal). Overall an awesome setup that is bedroom friendly to boot.

vick1000

Reaction score
I just got my Mesa 2:50 today, and the GSP1101 is finally alive. Amazing difference from running it through the Velocity. I recommend at least trying one, they are cheap as hell used, and GC even price matched Amazon on mine for $370. And you can still use it for FX and recording if you want to go with a standard tube preamp.

vick1000

Reaction score
I was going to suggest this.

The Theta series is insane.

^this guy knows what I'm talking about.

I bought it and returned it, it does not have the FTSW, and without one you can't access the preamp sections, or FX/Solo functions. ISP want $250 for a replacment. Idiots at GC bought it without the FTSW, or lost it.

Jaxcharvel

Reaction score
You could aslo try to hunt down an Engl E580. I used to have one. Wasn't a big fan of the low gain sounds, and the cleans, while very, very clean, was a bit sterile. But for high gain it was disgusting. Very nice, thick high gain sounds, and it's midi programmable and you can save tons of presets.

techjsteele

Gear Junkie
Contributor
Reaction score
OP, what speakers are you intending to use in your rig? That will make a huge difference. Playing through FRFR speaker(s)? Then a modeling preamp such as the GSP1101 (with the "mustbebeta" firmware installed of course, which gives you access to user impulse capabilities) might be right up your alley. Using a guitar cab? Then a setup similar to mine would probably work for your purposes.

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
I bought it and returned it, it does not have the FTSW, and without one you can't access the preamp sections, or FX/Solo functions. ISP want $250 for a replacment. Idiots at GC bought it without the FTSW, or lost it.

Dude, you should try the preamp pedal. I had that before I had the head. It doesn't have a separate clean tone really, but the gain is spot on. Sounds vicious.