Looking for a rack preamp to end the world!!!

• Thread starter coreypla
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
If you do go with a pedal, there are tons more options out there.

Amp Tweaker TM Pro
ISP Theta
AMT Legend and SS series

...just to name a few.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Elric

Reaction score

jeff7311

Reaction score
It has been mentioned and may be out of your price range but if you can score a Triaxis version 2.0 with no fat mod, the Lead 1 red is nuts for high gain stuff. Use the dynamic voice (it V shapes the EQ) and you will break windows when you palm mute. It's even better with the 2:90 in Modern/Deep mode.

dongh1217

Reaction score
Get an older Digitech Preamp (2101 valve fx, 2120)for the pre 2005 Deeds of Flesh tone, one of the best tones I've heard, get an engl special edition preamp if you like Of Whats To Come, that's what they used there.

someone knows their .....:metal:

Don't forget Mike Gilbert and his old Digitech Preamp man.:shred::shred:

Genome

Reaction score
It has been mentioned and may be out of your price range but if you can score a Triaxis version 2.0 with no fat mod, the Lead 1 red is nuts for high gain stuff. Use the dynamic voice (it V shapes the EQ) and you will break windows when you palm mute. It's even better with the 2:90 in Modern/Deep mode.

Triaxis/2:90 is one of the best combinations in the guitar world you can buy, period.

Unfortunately it will cost upwards of £3000 to buy new in the UK... Mesa import prices :noway:

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Ditch the Sonic Maximizer and you'll have more options.

Do you actually own the ADA MP2? I would be curious to hear how that one sounds and was wondering why everyone liked MP1 but no one (save you) mentioned the MP2....

I'm not the one you were asking, but an old friend had an MP2 and played 7-string metal. He always sounded brutal. And forget worrying about cutting through a mix live. Everyone else had to WORK to be heard. :lol: It's probably just finicky and takes patience to dial in.

EmaDaCuz

Brutal yet soulful
Reaction score
I used to have an ADA MP2, amazing preamp. I had to slim down my rig due to moving abroad, and I sold it. One of my worst mistakes ever.

You get from uberclean to uberbrutal, admittedly it takes some time to dial in the proper tone. I found the EQ settings to be a nightmare, especially the low freq are difficult to tame. One thing I love, you can clearly see the sound changing when using a different cabinet. As for the power amp, I would go solid state. It sounds better and doesn't colour the great ADA sound.

coreypla

Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for all the help, although it was quite limiting at 1u -- there were a lot of great options thrown into the ring from all of you!!!

I ended my search a bit early when I found a great deal on a used Digi GSP 1101 with footswitch that I jumped on. It's already been upgraded to the C63 firmware and the seller is including a collection of IR's with it. I also have a collection of responses from Joey Sturgis already. Hopefully the GSP is a good move, but all of these preamps were amazing. The SL | LD by R and R, the old mesas that evaporate off the internet, the Engls that sound amazing, even some interesting units like the Pirahna, Rockmaster, and the ADA that rock and come recommended by the SS.org community.

The price was right and it has all the options I want--especially with the footswitch--so hopefully it sounds good! If not, I have a lot of backup ideas. It's on its way now, so I can let everyone know when it gets here!

Now the hunt continues for a decent 1u Power Amp. I know Vick1000 votes against the Rocktron velocity. In any event, it's pretty difficult to find a decent priced 1u power amp that either: (i) has tubes, or (ii) sounds good with stuff.

If anyone has any ideas for the 1u power amp section that would be great! I am looking at the Matrix 1u units...but they are pretty costly as well. I have also heard a lot of votes on Powered Speakers (FRFR). I don't hate that idea...I just wouldn't know what to do with all my cabinets then [I have three 4X12's and one 2X12 and have been thinking about getting a Carvin Legacy cabinet in the blue python tolex]. Not too sure, but the powered speaker would certainly be cheapest!!! I'm just looking for a decent sound...I just want to live!!!!

Let me know what you think! What would you get if you were me? Budget-friendly options? This conversation is far from over.

:noplease: :scream:

ProphetOfHatred

Reaction score
I used to have an ADA MP2, amazing preamp. I had to slim down my rig due to moving abroad, and I sold it. One of my worst mistakes ever.

You get from uberclean to uberbrutal, admittedly it takes some time to dial in the proper tone. I found the EQ settings to be a nightmare, especially the low freq are difficult to tame. One thing I love, you can clearly see the sound changing when using a different cabinet. As for the power amp, I would go solid state. It sounds better and doesn't colour the great ADA sound.

The dude in Broken Hope started using a MP-1 in 95' and his tone was sick.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
FYI... There's an AMT Electronics SS-10 1u preamp for sale on here.

sevenstringj

Banned
Reaction score
Garland Amps

Mono version is a little under $400, unless he raised prices. I'd add R&R but I never get a reply from them.

Do you really need the sonic maximizer? You'd have way more options for a power amp if you ditched that thing.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Ya ditch that and get the Stomp version. Sounds better, tuck it in back of rack.

coreypla

Reaction score
I really do like the Sonic Maximizer a great deal, not sure why you hate him? I'd sooner ditch the Virtualizer and sell it along with the FCB1010 if I dig the reverbs and fx on the GSP 1101 as much or more.

That would free up room for a 2u. I love the idea of the lightweight matrix 1u just wish I could become a hedge-fund koch brother or at least a trust fund baby so I could afford it....

I'll have to play it by ear on this one. Maybe someone on here will buy a Matrix and want to sell it after a week!

...maybe that person will be me....

Keep those suggestions coming!!!

:agreed:

Garland Amps

Mono version is a little under $400, unless he raised prices. I'd add R&R but I never get a reply from them.

Do you really need the sonic maximizer? You'd have way more options for a power amp if you ditched that thing.

vick1000

Reaction score
The reverbs on the GSP1101 are golden, the Lexicon Studio is absolutely fabulous. And I HATE reverb normally, but all the Lexicons are spot on quality FX on the GSP1101.

coreypla

Reaction score
The reverbs on the GSP1101 are golden, the Lexicon Studio is absolutely fabulous. And I HATE reverb normally, but all the Lexicons are spot on quality FX on the GSP1101.

Any good news about the Delays as well? I don't use a lot of fx, but I do like to dabble and season my tone with some.

A clean channel with a light delay and very light chorus
A lead distortion channel with delay

and sometimes I'll use a tremolo effect, but I don't think it's possible to mess that effect up.

Is there any setting for a Cathedral Reverb? Or do I have to just up all the parameters on the Lexicon Studio and drown it?

:hbang:

ambler3

Reaction score
If you haven't got a power amp yet, you could always consider the ISP stealth, nice compact power amp you may even manage to fit at the back of a 1u rack.

Spinedriver

Reaction score
Any good news about the Delays as well? I don't use a lot of fx, but I do like to dabble and season my tone with some.

A clean channel with a light delay and very light chorus
A lead distortion channel with delay

and sometimes I'll use a tremolo effect, but I don't think it's possible to mess that effect up.

Is there any setting for a Cathedral Reverb? Or do I have to just up all the parameters on the Lexicon Studio and drown it?

:hbang:

As good as they are, there's only 6 reverb settings on the GSP. Ambience, Room, Plate, Studio, Hall & Spring. If you're looking for super deep & echo-y you're probably going to have to put one in the loop. I use a TC Hall Of Fame and it works like a charm.

The drive section has at least a dozen options for boosting the amps which is cool. There are 3 TS variants, a Boss SD-1, Fulltone OCD and a bunch more.

Here's a link to the manual... http://rdn.harmanpro.com/product_do...286481757/GSP1101Manual18_0474_B_original.pdf

Take note that with the C63 update, there are a few extra amps & effects added that aren't listed in the manual (the Mustbebeta firmware isn't an official update from Digitech).