Looking for a Small(ish) tube combo - ~$800 - coming from amp sims

• Thread starter SilentStrummer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
Yep, definitely agree with those observations, though I don't use the 1/4 switch on mine, it changes the dynamics of the amp too much IMO. The master volume is great on the amp, I don't feel the need to use it.

Hmm, I've only ever used mine in 1/4 power mode, I should try full power just to see.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

owlexifry

Reaction score
Lol, are you sure the DSL can't do metal???

Also, the Engl Ironball combo is a nice contender too

absolutely a DSL can do metal.
i just like 5150 better

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yep, definitely agree with those observations, though I don't use the 1/4 switch on mine, it changes the dynamics of the amp too much IMO. The master volume is great on the amp, I don't feel the need to use it.

Unless you're using a good modeler, they tend to over-compress your signal and make differences in guitars and pickups much less apparent. The level you're recording at and the quality of the DI and impedance of it also make a big difference when you want to hear the actual instrument come through. The good ones react much better in this aspect, though.
I’ve been pretty happy with 1/4 power I’ll give full power a shot too. So far very versatile.

Stiman

Reaction score
I didn't really notice a difference with 1/4 power vs full. I didn't play for long, so maybe I just didn't give it a long enough shot. In both scenarios, I'm below 1 on the master volume for bedroom playing so, it's not like it makes a huge difference at low volume.

Convenient Cabbages 69

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How is it adjusting to the loudness? I'm in a similar position to you and would love to mess around with a tube amp but anything much louder than a turned up tv is going to cause problems

Stiman

Reaction score
How is it adjusting to the loudness? I'm in a similar position to you and would love to mess around with a tube amp but anything much louder than a turned up tv is going to cause problems

In my experience with the 15w on 1/4 power, you have a lot of usable volume between 0 and 1 on the master volume. Anything from whisper quiet to a loud TV. Anything above 1 though is definitely louder than regular TV volume.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
In my experience with the 15w on 1/4 power, you have a lot of usable volume between 0 and 1 on the master volume. Anything from whisper quiet to a loud TV. Anything above 1 though is definitely louder than regular TV volume.
I definitely agree, a lot of useable range from “is it on?” To edge of “hey can you turn it down a little” and everything in between.

I’m very happy with the iconic.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How have you been monitoring your digital rig, and how does the iconic compare in terms of 'in the room' feel?
Either through headphones (closed back monitors) or studio monitors (presonus eris 3.5). Sounded pretty good near field.

As far as how does how the iconic compares to in the room feel…night and day. 10” speaker vs 3.5”, zero latency, dynamic sensitivity.

Convenient Cabbages 69

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Either through headphones (closed back monitors) or studio monitors (presonus eris 3.5). Sounded pretty good near field.

As far as how does how the iconic compares to in the room feel…night and day. 10” speaker vs 3.5”, zero latency, dynamic sensitivity.

You were having discernible latency through your digital setup? Or did you mean something different?

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You were having discernible latency through your digital setup? Or did you mean something different?

I didn’t have a latency issue (at least nothing I could even notice.) I was just pointing that out as a pure analog setup there was none.

FWIW I still like my digital rig, but I just like playing through the amp a bit more. It’s hard to put into words, it just feels more “there”. I apologize for being so touchy feely regarding the amp in the room experience.

I was taking to a friend tonight and he’s gone all digital and was surprised I got an amp. Part of it is the simplicity, the aesthetic, the “feel” (maybe it’s response and dynamic), reflection in the room. Overall though I do prefer to my digital rig.

Now as far as the digital rig goes; it works, I have every effect available, can get the perfect sound, great recording flexibility. I still like it, I’ll still use it from time to time. But for now the iconic is my go to.